Moab for a minute- What to ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Moab for a minute- What to ride?

I'm going to have 1/2 to 2/3 of a day to ride in Moab in a couple of weeks. Just me and my rigid singlespeed.
    Having never been there I'm looking for a couple of good, classic trails to hit and shake off some of that road dust.
    I'd love some suggestions...?

mtbr member
    Are you going through Fruita on the way? There are two characteristics in Moab that could be an issue. Trails like EKG are really fun, but the continuous medium frequency bumps, on a hardtail would be a pain in the a$$. Trails like Slick Rock are nice and smooth but have insanely steep sections which, depending on the single gear, would be a lot of work. I'm guessing you're strong enough, so I'd suggest that.

Also, going up Amasa Back is very technical, but fun (or you could bypass on Hymasa Back) and then you could come down Captain Ahab (I think that would be my choice). It's a great technical push up and the downhill is great. I've done that loop twice before in a morning, it's so much fun - and it's not super long. You could also extend the Amasa/Hymasa out to Pothole Arch (for the ride and view, Pothole itself is anticlimactic) if you want to add miles.

The Klonzo area is fun and swoopy and intermediate technical/aerobic and has a very fun downhill, Gravitron, that is worth hitting if you wanted something more mellow.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 05-07-2015 at 10:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Moab on a rigid ss?

Arches Nat. Park. all smooth pavement, nice views
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    ^^^It's a bit like bringing a sniper rifle to a knife fight....inside a phone booth, but what the heck!

mtbr member
    I'd suggest slickrock as well. A lot of the really tough climbs are walked by even those with gears.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Well, you're braver and obviously a stronger rider than me. I don't like riding my hard tail 1/2 a block to my mailbox on the paved street. Anyway, my advice would be to do the trails up at Dead Horse State Park. Super fun, fast, flowy (for the most part) trails which won't be too harsh on that HT....all with top of the world views!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Dead Horse is an excellent recommendation!

Perpetual n00b
    Navajo Rocks off of 313 is good too. I rode it on my hardtail. I didn't die.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    Moab on a rigid ss?

Arches Nat. Park. all smooth pavement, nice views
    I have no interest in pavement, but thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke View Post
    I'd suggest slickrock as well. A lot of the really tough climbs are walked by even those with gears.
    I'm in pretty good climbing shape right now, but having said that; I'm not even remotely afraid to push my bike. It's part of the fun!

Having never ridden Moab: it seems like people think of it as being pretty rough...
    Is it more/less/different in roughness from the west-side Washington/B.C. Cascades?
    I'm completely ignorant to this...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Are you going through Fruita on the way? There are two characteristics in Moab that could be an issue. Trails like EKG are really fun, but the continuous medium frequency bumps, on a hardtail would be a pain in the a$$. Trails like Slick Rock are nice and smooth but have insanely steep sections which, depending on the single gear, would be a lot of work. I'm guessing you're strong enough, so I'd suggest that.
    Thanks for this! If it's down and quick those Med-frequency bumps can be a killer! Sounds like slick-rock would be something to look at, as well as some of the other suggestions.

I've heard it said that "the best riding in Moab is in Grand Junction and the best riding in Grand Junction is in Fruita".
    I've been considering Fruita instead of Moab...
    I'm driving from Seattle to Durango and my time is quite limited (two days). A day to get to there, sleep, half day to ride, half day to Durango. Ambitious, I know.

That being said: quality sounds right to me. What's in Fruita? Lunch Loops, Holy Cross, something else?

mtbr member
    CoyoteNW, As embarrassing as it is to admit it, I've been in Utah for 25 years and still haven't gotten to Fruita, so someone else will have to chime in on that. I've heard great things about it though and thought it might be a good alternative to look at.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 05-07-2015 at 12:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteNW View Post
    Having never ridden Moab: it seems like people think of it as being pretty rough...
    Is it more/less/different in roughness from the west-side Washington/B.C. Cascades?
    In Moab, every feature is made out of rocks. There are no roots, loam, etc which I hear is prolific in BC. You also get long stretches of riding on rock, not to be confused with riding on pavement since the rock is much harder and bumpier yet awesomer. If I had a long weekend to spare I'd go here.

Fruita has a few trailheads set up so you can get freakin awesome rides in at any intensity level in under an hour. And if you have time you can extend those same loops to ride all day. From what I've seen there is a bit more dirt vs Moab (still plenty of rocks though). If I had a friday night/saturday to spare I'd go here.

I think the best answer of what to do is: change your plans to spend a few days at each location

mtbr member
    The Grand Junction/Fruita area has 3-4 *main* riding areas...18 Road, Kokopelli, Lunch Loops and Rabbit Valley area out near the border of CO & UT. I'll make it simple, on a HT I'd go to 18 Road every time. It is the one area that has a few trails that are *nearly* totally devoid of rocks. They would be Zippity-doo-dah, Chutes n' Ladders and Kessels. Zippity has some nice banked pitches to it that remind me of the 1st turn on a roller coaster after the initial climb. I've literally seen people walking their bikes down in tears because the speed gained on the banked descents scared the crapola out of them. Kessels is literally 100-150 linked turns, all on a downhill grade. It's fun once or twice but I prefer a lil' more challenge in my rides. Chutes n' Ladders is another pure fun rid without the high speed of Zippity. There are numerous other trails out there but those would be the best on a HT and after you climb up from the base area (3) separate times, your 1/2 day may be over. Grab a pizza at Hot Tomato (a food icon) on the way to Durango and you're all set.

mtbr member
    last month I rode Rocky Tops, Ramblin, Big Mesa, Big Lonely, and Coney Island in 1 ride that was a 20 mile loop and a really fun ride. I took some video with my Sony Action Cam. they're not very exciting but will show you what the trails are like. I believe the videos are from portions of Rocky Tops and Ramblin' trails. which are the lower and upper right trails on the map. It's also on the road that goes up to Dead Horse. we tried to ride it that day but it was buried under 6" of snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvk5OMWbGIE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXgfOqvWoE8

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Half a day on a HT SS - I agree with others and would recommend Slick Rock. Although not classic, Klonzo trails are HT worthy. At Brands trails EZ-Rock A-Circle O-North 40 would also be fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm going to add my +1 to Dead Horse Point if you're going to Moab (views can not be beat!), or the 18 Road trails in Fruita. Another fun one in Fruita is PBR.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Moab saves you 1.5 hrs of drive time vs. Fruita. In Moab I'd ride Slick Rock. It's near the highway so you don't add additional drive time and it is a unique and fun ride, even for a hardtail. I snubbed Slick Rock on my first trip to Moab and then rode it on a recent trip there and was pleasantly surprised by how fun it was.

edit: Slick Rock is also easy to navigate, which is helpful when you have limited time to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Terp View Post
    I think the best answer of what to do is: change your plans to spend a few days at each location
    Terp- Yes! I tried to figure that one out, not going to work this time. The good news (for me) is that my wife is dying to ride both of those spots, so that trip is in my imminent future...

In the mean time, I'm stuck with half a day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by westeast View Post
    Slick Rock is also easy to navigate, which is helpful when you have limited time to ride.
    Thanks for this, big help.

What about Porcupine Rim- Looks like a really fun trail, but shuttle necessary?

I'm by no means allergic to rocky, technical terrain. In fact, I love it!

mtbr member
    Thanks for this, big help.

What about Porcupine Rim- Looks like a really fun trail, but shuttle necessary?

I'm by no means allergic to rocky, technical terrain. In fact, I love it!
    PR is a pretty quick ride, unless you start at Burro (or to a lesser extent, Hazard) on TWE. I think the last time I rode it from Kokopelli down, it was a couple of hours. But, it's another one of those trails that would be uncomfortable due to "chatter" on a HT. I've seen guys out there with them, though. I think the shuttles go early so that folks can get in afternoon rides after PR. I just hate the ride back to town, and for me (because it causes me extreme emotional distress to ride on roads) a loop is out of the question. The shuttle is 30 to 40 minutes, as I recall.

mtbr member
    I'm driving from Seattle to Durango and my time is quite limited (two days). A day to get to there, sleep, half day to ride, half day to Durango. Ambitious, I know.

That being said: quality sounds right to me. What's in Fruita? Lunch Loops, Holy Cross, something else?
    It will be a long day from Seattle to Moab, but much shorter than you think from Moab to Durango, maybe a little more than 2.5 hours.
    While riding in Moab is always fun, Durango will have more rigid SS friendly options, and with all the rain we've been getting, the trails are in fantastic shape.
    Something to consider.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm in pretty good climbing shape right now, but having said that; I'm not even remotely afraid to push my bike. It's part of the fun!

I've ridden both Moab and western WA (Capitol State Forest, Palisades and so on near Mt Rainier). Moab is much, much rockier. With a few exceptions, the climbs tend to be less aerobically brutal than what I found in WA, but they will be shorter, punchier and more frequent. Newer trails like Capt Ahab in Moab offer nearly constant rocky ups and downs - the longest stretch of smooth dirt on these trails might be 50yards. Although trails like Ahab are described as advanced, they are not that difficult. They are constructed so that most of the rock features can be rolled; after the first 20 minutes or so of riding these you will get the idea.

I have also ridden both Slickrock and EKG on a hardtail and, believe it or not, EKG was easier and more enjoyable. Slickrock looks like a smooth pavement with steep sections but it actually has constant minor undulations and small bumps. You will get a relentless low-level pounding from the back end of the bike for hours. On a trail like EKG, there are frequent short sections of dirt where this will let up. The Moab trail that I enjoyed the most on my hardtail was Sovereign/Saltwash. There will be a few annoying short sandy sections, but aside from that, these offer a couple of hours of riding with a good mix of dirt and slickrock.

I do most of my riding in Grand Junction, where I live. The GJ trails, even including things like Holy Cross, are much better suited to a hardtail than the Moab trails. Here you might find occasional obstacles that are much harder than most in Moab trails, but between these there are decent sections that will be fine on a hardtail. You might want to avoid Moore Fun, although in my experience this delivers less of a pounding on a hardtail than Slickrock.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I'd go with the early suggestion to do Hymasa to Captain Ahab. I've been riding Moab for 20+ years and Amasa Back is still my favorite "area" to ride. And it's so much better now that they have all the "new" trails up there... you'll be fine on a hardtail on Ahab. Rocky fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Back in the dark ages we rode full rigid bikes all over Moab. Porcupine Rim, Amasa Back, Gemini Bridges, Slickrock, Hurrah Pass/Jackson's Hole, Klondike. A suspension fork would have been heaven.

I think Slickrock, Klondike, Gemini, and the Brands trails are actually best ridden with a rigid frame, but a suspension fork goes a long way to save your hands and shoulders on any trail out there.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Back in the dark ages we rode full rigid bikes all over Moab. Porcupine Rim
    Heh. I had to tighten my headset 3 times on my 1st DH run on Porc Rim. F**king rigid bikes...