Moab in May- Mtbr.com

Thread: Moab in May

Jun 2004

Moab in May

I'm considering a trip out to Moab (i'm from MN) around late may. I get out of college on the 15th, so I would proably head out sometime after that. What is the weather like around then? Is the heat 'bearable'. 90 degrees doesnt bother me too much when I'm riding. Anything ealse that I should know?

Singletrack Slacker

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by huntforlife
    I'm considering a trip out to Moab (i'm from MN) around late may. I get out of college on the 15th, so I would proably head out sometime after that. What is the weather like around then? Is the heat 'bearable'. 90 degrees doesnt bother me too much when I'm riding. Anything ealse that I should know?

I've gone out the last couple of years in the first week of May. Great weather 45-55 at night, 70-80's all day. Big change for me(Chicago). I love starting the season like that, makes the rest of the year better. I enjoy it so much we are moving to Fruita this summer, can't wait.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

water, sand, tools

Quote Originally Posted by huntforlife
    Anything ealse that I should know?
    water. even in May, and lots of it. make sure you take the capacity to carry 4 liters if you're doing anything epic, even if you elect to carry less. it's a miserable place to bonk, especially if you're low on agua.

sand. unless you're limiting yourself to trails without much of it and there aren't many, run tires with enough knob and girth to pedal through it. I run Specialized Adrenaline Pros on most of the trails but will switch to semi-slicks for (you got it) Slickrock.

tools. Moab eats bike parts. i usually take a Leatherman, a multi-tool, a spare chain pin, tubes, cord, duct tape, mini-flashlight, and a few other things. no walking out from 10 miles in with only 1 liter of water. nope. no way.

Bri

Members who have read this thread: 0