Moab in late September - Where to stay?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Moab in late September - Where to stay?

Visiting Moab with my buddy for his 40th birthday. This is our first trip to Moab so we're totally unfamiliar with the area. We need to find a clean, quiet place to stay while we're there. We've narrowed it down to four places - Sleep Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Adventure Inn and Silver Sage Inn. The first two have pools which might be nice after a day of riding.

Any thoughts on which one would be a good choice or are they pretty much all the same?

Cheers.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    Up The Creek Campground. Right in town.
    Best place that I've ever found. Very nice people. Adds a cool feel to the trip as opposed to "hotelling" it.
    Good luck, and have a GREAT time!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

The Gonzo Inn!

Holiday Inn Express is a nice, newer hotel, and so is the Aarchway Inn, which is next door to the HIE. However, both of these are a mile or two North of the "downtown", where all the restaurants and shops are.

Your other three choices might be OK, but they aren't rated very highly by AAA.

If you want more of the downtown scene (which we really enjoyed), I highly recommend the Gonzo Inn, which is about 1/2 block off Main St, but right in the middle of downtown. We stayed at the Gonzo two weeks ago and had a very enjoyable stay. Rates are a skosh on the high side, but the rooms are immaculate and the staff are great. Good continental breakfast is included too. However, NO MOUNTAIN BIKES IN THE ROOM!

To be fair, most hotels in Moab don't allow bikes in the rooms 'cause too many folks left huge muddy/greasy messes.

If you're looking for something more affordable, try the Rustic Inn. New owners that remodeled every room. Looks nice on their web site, but their pool was still being renovated two weeks ago.

mtbr member
    I really like the Slickrock cabins, super cheap, good a/c, has a pool and hot tub, located some what downtown. Sure the room is small and the facilitys are not attached. But, it's cheap clean, and all you do is use the place to sleep anyways,

http://www.slickrockcampground.com/cabins.html

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Red Stone Inn... One of the cheapest spots in Moab, close to food and bike shops. Spend the extra dough you saved on bike goodies at Chile Pepper down the street. Red Stone has a bike wash and repair stand, bikes are allowed in the (tiny) rooms and they provide bike rags for you to use.

Living conditions are spartan, but frankly some of the "nicer" Moab hotels we have checked out are not any better. Gonzo Inn seems quite pleasant, but very expensive and not as bike friendly as you would expect from a Moab hotel. Thankfully the local crime scene is next to non-existent compared to places like Whistler, where keeping your bike in view at all times seems mandatory.

My 2 cents about value in Moberry... When it comes to the hospitality industry (hotels, restaurants) you don't necessarily get more by spending more. I suggest you skimp on lodgings and spend the money on shuttles and bikes instead.

mtbr member
    Most of the places in town you will find are good, but some are obviously better than others. It's really just a matter of how much your willing to spend for a bed. Unless I am going to be spending most of my time in and out of a room, like with an all inclusive resort, I go for the cheap beds.
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

Gravity Tester
    That Sleep Inn your considering is OK. No bikes in rooms, but they have a secured, indoor lock-up area (bring your own lock) and provide old rags for cleaning and maint. Indoor pool and hot tub are nice as well as a guest laundry and "free" breakfast. If your not into the camping ideas, it's a pretty good place to stay.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by mnster
    I really like the Slickrock cabins
    +1 for the cabins. Nice when we just can't handle camping. Only drawback is they don't open until February...

Clearly not a problem for your trip.

JMH

mtbr member
    http://www.losvados.com/startoff.html

Guess it may be booked this late though.........

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RickC5
    Holiday Inn Express is a nice, newer hotel, and so is the Aarchway Inn, which is next door to the HIE. However, both of these are a mile or two North of the "downtown", where all the restaurants and shops are.

Your other three choices might be OK, but they aren't rated very highly by AAA.

If you want more of the downtown scene (which we really enjoyed), I highly recommend the Gonzo Inn, which is about 1/2 block off Main St, but right in the middle of downtown. We stayed at the Gonzo two weeks ago and had a very enjoyable stay. Rates are a skosh on the high side, but the rooms are immaculate and the staff are great. Good continental breakfast is included too. However, NO MOUNTAIN BIKES IN THE ROOM!

To be fair, most hotels in Moab don't allow bikes in the rooms 'cause too many folks left huge muddy/greasy messes.

If you're looking for something more affordable, try the Rustic Inn. New owners that remodeled every room. Looks nice on their web site, but their pool was still being renovated two weeks ago.
    When there 3 years ago a single at the Gonzo was $170 a night, don't know how much rate change since then.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Thanks everyone for your suggestions

We ended up booking at the Adventure Inn as they had availability and seem to cater to mountain bikers. As long its clean and reasonably close to downtown we should be happy. I'll post a review when we get back from our trip. Can't wait to ride Moab at the end of the month.

mtbr member
    I'm checking out the KOA from 9/25 to the 30th. What trails are ya doing?
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    We've been really happy with the Kokopelli Lodge.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    I'm checking out the KOA from 9/25 to the 30th. What trails are ya doing?
    Being Moab newbies we decided to hire a guide to take us on the trails. We arrive late Friday and plan on adjusting to the altitude on Saturday with some light riding, then I think we're riding either Amasa Back or Poison Spider on Sunday and then Porcupine Rim or Slickrock on Monday. Something along those lines anyway.

mtbr member
    Save the guide money and ride:
    Sovereign on Friday (well marked)
    Amasa Back on Saturday
    Porc Rim on Sunday
    Hit Fruita/GJ trails on Monday...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboyp
    Being Moab newbies we decided to hire a guide to take us on the trails. We arrive late Friday and plan on adjusting to the altitude on Saturday with some light riding, then I think we're riding either Amasa Back or Poison Spider on Sunday and then Porcupine Rim or Slickrock on Monday. Something along those lines anyway.
    Sounds good.
    My plans are:
    Friday, Poison to portal trail then later in the day porcupine.
    Sat, The whole enchilada.
    Sun, Behind the rocks down thru Prittchards canyon.
    Mon, Amasa back to jacksons trail or Sovereign.
    Maybe see ya around or get together for a ride or beers, just pushed 40 myself .
    I'll be on a slate color Nomad with a black 66.
    Later.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Helimech, we'll be the two guys puffing and wheezing on the Ibis Mojos

If we don't happen to run into you have a great time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have to agree with camping at Up the Creek...great place to camp with grills and hot showers/clean toilets! Folks are really nice as well.

On the other hand...Gonzo Inn is great if camping is not your deal. One block off Main St. Great pool and great breakfast.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Just back from Moab.....

and we had an awesome time. I'll probably start another thread with some of our ride pics.

I just wanted to conclude this thread by saying that we were very happy with the accommodations at the Adventure Inn. Its not a fancy place but the rooms are a nice size and very clean, the beds were comfortable, bikes are allowed in the rooms (with a drop cloth), there's a fridge in the room, free continental breakfast and wifi and the rates were very reasonable. It's right across the road from Poison Spider Bicycles (where we did a lot of shopping ) and its only a short ride or drive into the main part of town. The owners were very friendly and helpful. The only disappointment was the weak water pressure from the shower. After a long day of riding a good strong shower is a must to get the dust out and the shower in our room was pretty pathetic. Other than that I would highly recommend the Adventure Inn if you're looking for a place to stay in Moab

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread.

Members who have read this thread: 0