mtbr member
    May 2016

Moab in late May

What started off as a trip to the Salt Lake City area has turned into a family vacation plan and since I may never be in Utah again I really hope to ride the Whole Enchilada or a large part of it.

I will be riding solo. What do I need to know about Moab/riding in late May?

Thanks in advance!!

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    1) Burro Pass on TWE won't be open but Hazard from Warner Lake down should be.

2) Check for big events in Moab and try to avoid them. You'll miss Jeep Jamboree but there is always something. Most are small enough that a town of 5,000 locals can handle it.

3) You don't have to ride solo. On the shuttle up you will meet people. I prefer riding solo or with my wife but because I know the trail I seem to pickup a crowd. I escaped down Sand Flats Road last fall :-)

4) Once you hit Porky you are committed to the river. If you need to bail before then there are many little roads to your left that will take you to Sand Flats and a very nice decent into town.

5) Late in May starts getting hot. Get up early and out on the trails.

6) Have a good time! Try to get the family on the bikes. Brand Trails is perfect for that.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    You may be fine. As of yet we have very little snowfall. I ride Moonlight Meadows down starting mid May. You will want a lightweight jacket as temps can vary as much as 30 degrees between the mountains and Moab. Lotsa water in any season and as said, try to buddy up for safety. Any medical help is hours away.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    You're stoked! In my opinion, late may is in the sweet spot in terms of weather. As mentioned, Burro will be out, but not a big deal... my favorite parts of the enchilada are below that. If for some reason you aren't able to find folks on the enchilada shuttle that are about the same speed as you, keep in mind that during prime season you're not going to be alone out there much anyhow. On weekends, in particular, it's a steady stream of groups coming down in waves based on shuttle drop offs. So, if you did have a crash or a mech issue, it's likely someone would be coming down before long and could hopefully assist.

+1 on Brand Trails for the family (otherwise, don't bother if you don't have beginners riding with you) . Hymasa/Ahab might be my favorite 9 miles of trail in Moab, worth checking out if you like Moab techy riding.

Given your timing, you should be able to really get some great riding both in SLC and down in Moab. Park City will still be a bit limited by snow/mud, but there will definitely be some worthwhile options up there, and outside of a very recent rain event, everything in Corner Canyon (Draper) will be open.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Padlz View Post
    You're stoked! In my opinion, late may is in the sweet spot in terms of weather...
    This makes me really happy!!

Thanks for all the tips!! I would also like to know the "must visit" places that don't necessarily include the bike.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm Dave View Post
    This makes me really happy!!

Thanks for all the tips!! I would also like to know the "must visit" places that don't necessarily include the bike.
    Arches is one of our most beautiful national parks! Really worth a drive through there with short hikes to arches. Get there early in the morning to avoid a long line to get in.

Canyonlands National Park has great views. If you bike nearby Deadhorse Point State Park you get the views plus a good intermediate ride.

Pasta Jay's is my favorite place to eat in town. Moab Brewery is very good. Lots of other places but those are my favorites. For coffee / breakfast I prefer Sweet Cravings. Great WiFi.

Drive northeast up the Colorado River for some great scenes. It is a bit slower going this way to / from Fruita but I prefer this route.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.