Moab in Late March, 2005- Mtbr.com
    Takin' Care of Business

New question here. Moab in Late March, 2005

I'm looking for a little help...

I will be traveling west from NC with my son and bro-in-law, in the last week of March...We have about 5 days to play in the Fruita/Moab area...First and foremost, will Mother Nature have had her fill of the area, and allow us to play here at this time of year? Pardon me in advance for not being desert savy…

With a limited amount of time in the area (maybe +/- 2 days, before heading to, or from, Fruita), I was wondering what trails we should concentrate on...

That said, let me tell you something about us, the riders...I am an AVERAGE Sport rider of 47 years (been mtn biking for +/- 13 years now)...My son (16) is a talented Junior (maybe Sport) rider (who unfortunately, has now passed me in his riding skills) and my bro-in-law who is maybe just a tick behind...We are technically astute, but in our own environment...We ride and race the rolling trails of NC on a squadron of Blur's and Superlights...We are not into big hit, big drop types of rides (as our bikes would show)...

I am assuming that the bike of choice for ride in and around Moab is more of an Enduro type of bike (we will be renting)...

Thanks in advance for any advice, comments or suggestions!

alien exchange student

You have questions - we have answers!

Hi, great screen-name! I call my bike the "Fat King" (my old, shiny-gold hard-tail was the "Young King").

Late March will be fine for weather. I'd expect temps in the 50s or 60s. Check with local shops to see what trails they recommend based on the weather but the following is a good bet for 3 days of riding: Slickrock, Porcupine Rim (assuming no wierd snow conditions have happened), Sovereign. This will give you a nice sampler of Moab's best. Other great trails include Amasa (but check on trail conditions as there as been a "cleansing" of sorts recently, Flat Pass, and Klondike Bluffs. Poison Spider Mesa may be another option (if the sand has been beaten down by snowmelt or rain). Note: it is easy to walk stuff you don't like but if you aren't reasonably fit these can be pretty tough trails. If you are feeling the winter, you may want to try Klondike Bluffs as a first ride. It is a little easier physically but still has great views and is a nice intro to the Moab terrain.

I rode a race-light hardtail in Moab for years and was fine but it is a lot more fun to be on something with a bunch of suspension. It makes riding the rocky stuff really cool. Either way, you are riding on some pretty special stuff that is closer to Mars than the trails from home. Email me ([email protected]) if you have any other questions.

Cheers!

Mel

Quote Originally Posted by flyinelvis
    I'm looking for a little help...

I will be traveling west from NC with my son and bro-in-law, in the last week of March...We have about 5 days to play in the Fruita/Moab area...First and foremost, will Mother Nature have had her fill of the area, and allow us to play here at this time of year? Pardon me in advance for not being desert savy…

With a limited amount of time in the area (maybe +/- 2 days, before heading to, or from, Fruita), I was wondering what trails we should concentrate on...

That said, let me tell you something about us, the riders...I am an AVERAGE Sport rider of 47 years (been mtn biking for +/- 13 years now)...My son (16) is a talented Junior (maybe Sport) rider (who unfortunately, has now passed me in his riding skills) and my bro-in-law who is maybe just a tick behind...We are technically astute, but in our own environment...We ride and race the rolling trails of NC on a squadron of Blur's and Superlights...We are not into big hit, big drop types of rides (as our bikes would show)...

I am assuming that the bike of choice for ride in and around Moab is more of an Enduro type of bike (we will be renting)...

Thanks in advance for any advice, comments or suggestions!

Takin' Care of Business

Yo Mel...

Thanks for your input...I want to be careful b/c we have a bit of a mixture of riding abilities (as we suddenly have more interest with additional riders)...I have heard of the majority of the trails of which you spoke, but it's good to have a starting point like Klondike Bluffs, suggested...I have heard the tales of the sand at Poison Spider and understand that the locals have it figured out...Just need to keep the pedals turning this winter (some winters have been better for fitness) so we can be properly prepared...

I have salted away your email address for future reference...

Again, thanks for taking the time to help us out!

-tom

Jan 2004

Don't know about Mars in March......

Quote Originally Posted by flyinelvis
    Thanks for your input...I want to be careful b/c we have a bit of a mixture of riding abilities (as we suddenly have more interest with additional riders)...I have heard of the majority of the trails of which you spoke, but it's good to have a starting point like Klondike Bluffs, suggested...I have heard the tales of the sand at Poison Spider and understand that the locals have it figured out...Just need to keep the pedals turning this winter (some winters have been better for fitness) so we can be properly prepared...

I have salted away your email address for future reference...

Again, thanks for taking the time to help us out!

-tom
    But MoWab in March is MAHVELOUS! A few days in the upper 70s last March left me more sunburned than I was prepared for.

I suggest you stock up on guidebooks now (Rider Mel's being the best and the only one you NEED) and read the varying perspectives on the same trails. Makes for a good anticipation factor over the long cold months, too.

Have fun.

Ken