Moab - Just a few of hours to ride...where to go?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Moab - Just a few of hours to ride...where to go?

I will be in Moab for a few days in early Aug and will only have a few hours available to ride. I'll likely be renting from Chili Pepper and hitting a trail around 6 am.

What would you recommend for an intermediate rider that can be completed in 3-3.5 hrs? What's the one trail I can do?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I just read somewhere: Park at Upper Gemini --> Bull Run --> Great Escape --> Little Canyon --> Arth's --> Get Away

Any idea how long of a ride that is?

mtbr member
    You stand a good chance of being incinerated in August.
    Bike shops in Moab aren't open at 6 AM so you'll need to arrange rental pick up the evening before.
    A good option at that time of the year is the complete Intrepid Trail system.
    Dead Horse Point (Intrepid Trail System)
    Dead Horse Point Mountain Bike Trails, West Side

Your Gemini Bridges loop is also a good choice, but it will feel hotter than the Dead Horse Point Trails.
    You can easily knock out the upper loop in a few hours. 8 miles or so.
    Great Escape Bike Trail in Moab Utah

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    As pointed out you will need to get your bike the night before. The weather is already cooling and I've been doing late morning rides that top out in the mid 90's in the afternoon, but I like the heat, I just bring more water. A lot of your decision needs to be based on where you ride now as Moab trails run difficult compared to other areas. The loop you mentioned in the Mag 7 area would be great and would only take a few hours if you are used to altitude and our terrain. If you are not then the DeadHorse point area might be good, not much higher than Mag 7 trails but slightly cooler and they have added a new system so you can ride different loops and get close to 20 miles if you want......downside is you have to pay $10 to get into the park.
    If you need to stick to a strict departure time you might want to ride the Klondike bluffs area, many short trails that you can weave together but escape to a parking lot fairly quick.
    Enjoy your visit

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    thanks for the replies. I'm from so cal and often ride in 100+ degree weather. I'm ok with it. My usual weekend ride is 20-25 miles, mix of rocky and loose, +/- 3000 ft climbing.

Chili Pepper bikes has a summer policy that you pick up 4:30pm-5:30pm and return is due by 1pm the following day. Maybe I can get to a trail head by 5:30 am.

I've never been to Moab and just can't imagine being there and not riding so I'm just trying to get something in. I'll be out with my daughter (who doesn't ride) to rent a jeep and visit some national parks. If I can sneak out super early and be back before she's ready to head out for the day then I'll be a happy guy.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    While they are fun, Deadhorse and Mag 7 are both 45 min or so from town, which would cut in to your limited time quite a bit. I was in a similar situation a few months ago... in Moab with family that didn't ride to do other stuff, but wanted to get out early to get something in. Amassa back / Ahab area is what I did and would recommend. It will give you a good taste of what Moab has to offer, great views, techy climbs and decents. You can make it as long or as short as you want depending on what time allows, and it's a short drive from town. Check out this link on Utah Mountain Biking .com for an overview of that area, or other Moab rides - Amasa Back Riding Area - Mountain Biking near Moab Utah

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    I rode mag 7 trails today, 20 minutes from town to the top of Gemini Bridges Rd. There are many new trails in this area near the top and five degrees cooler than town. DeadHorse is another 20 minutes so you might rule that out. Aldo consider the Navajo Rocks trails, 5 separate trails that you can weave into loops up to 18 miles and doable in your time allotment. Out Hwy 313 in the same area but 5 minutes less driving than Gemini Bridges trailhead.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for all of the recommendations everyone. Gonna dig into some research on all these suggestions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by elkootcho View Post
    Thanks for all of the recommendations everyone. Gonna dig into some research on all these suggestions.
    OP, have you gone yet? What did you end up riding?
    I'm heading to Moab in a couple of days and have pretty much the same situation, I can get one fairly quick ride in before moving on. I'll be riding with my wife who is just getting back into mountain biking so I need a beginner-to-intermediate ride; Amasa Back is going to be too tough, I think. A bonus would be somewhere the rest of the family can have a nice hike.

Any suggestions? (Or anyone else want to add their two cents?)

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by agoura_biker View Post
    OP, have you gone yet? What did you end up riding?
    I'm heading to Moab in a couple of days and have pretty much the same situation, I can get one fairly quick ride in before moving on. I'll be riding with my wife who is just getting back into mountain biking so I need a beginner-to-intermediate ride; Amasa Back is going to be too tough, I think. A bonus would be somewhere the rest of the family can have a nice hike.

Any suggestions? (Or anyone else want to add their two cents?)
    Define quick...

Moab brand trails, Klondike Bluffs, Navajo Rocks, or Dead Horse Point. Those are quick and wife friendly trails by Moab standards. Do not ride the Slickrock trail!
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Sorry! Quick as in 1.5 to 2 hours of riding, 8-10 miles. Prioritizing scenery and enjoyment over technical challenge. I'll check out the trails you suggest, thanks!

And thanks for the warning about the Slickrock Trail! I did Porcupine Rim and Amasa Back a few years ago but didn't get a chance to do the Slickrock trail then - and I guess it will have to wait for a future trip!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I wanted to report back on what we rode in case anyone else is looking to scenic trails with some, but not too much, technical challenge. We rode the Intrepid trail system at Dead Horse Point State Park. It was perfect for what we were looking for. My wife could ride most everything and what she couldn't ride was easy to walk. It was just the right amount of challenge - she felt like she improved just by riding the trails once and would get much better if she could have ridden them multiple times. She had a great time!

It is a bit far from town, but it worked great in our case because we were camping. So we camped at the Horsethief campground, which is very close to the trail. And the bonus for both camping and riding is that it was a lot cooler than closer to town, very nice in August!