Moab Invite Feb 23-27- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Moab Invite Feb 23-27

Posted this in the AM section as well, but I am flying down from Alaska to visit my brother in Park City for a few days. Then I'm headed to Moab area to ride for the week. I'll be on my own so if anyone is around and wants a riding partner or willing to have one more added to your riding group let me know.

PV

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I ride alone around Moab and meet riders on the trails. Everyone is social so you can team up with whoever fits your riding style. I'll be there in a couple of weeks.

I started mountain biking in Anchorage in 1988. Wasn't much variety then but I flew out of McCarthy to the Chitistone area once and was dropped off to bike alone through that old gold region. Lots of bushwhacking but interesting ghost town.

Desert Seeker
    Shoot me a PM if you want to get together for a ride. I'm local and can usually get out to ride some during the week.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    @ak pura vida, be careful riding with the locals! They ride stuff that normal riders would find impossible, like around that big rock at the bottom of Porcupine Rim :-)

If they suggest your first ride there should include the Portal Trail then run away. That trail has a serious cliff issue. Maybe OK for the third Moab ride :-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Haha. awesome. glesoine, thanks for the invite, I'll hit you up shortly. I was also curious about cell coverage, as I will most likely be riding by myself I was considering picking up a Sat Phone as CYA in the off chance I crash and burn badly out in the middle of nowhere. Opinions?

PV

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Many of the main trails are close to the highway system and have cell service. Also, high season is coming and if you stay on the popular trails you will get help.

Moab has a pretty new hospital and ER :-)

When I'm alone, which I will be for most of my 3 week trip starting next week, I'm more conservative than when my wife is riding with me.

Regarding the hospital, there is a new bike park nearby. I haven't checked it out yet but will on this trip. I was so busy riding last Oct that I forgot about it.

If you have't rode the rocks in south UT then start riding at the Moab Brand Trails a few miles north of town. There are beginner to advanced trails there for you to warm up on. Circle O and Rock'n A are pure slick rock. North 40 has something for everyone. Deadmans is challenging.

After years of harassment on the trails I started wearing elbow and knee armor on advanced trails last year. G Forms are effective yet light. When alone that could make a difference in trail survivability.

Thin Man on a Fat bike

Cheaper than Sat phone.....

I might be available , if Im allowed , the UFO is off that week and I do my best to keep her happy
    That said you can try me. As far as riding alone, don't count on cell service, I have been able to look directly at the cell towers in the La Sals and have no service and just because you have service one place if you dive into a gully you lose it.
    I usually ride alone just because I find it relaxing and my first aid card is expired but I carry a SPOT, haven't had to use it but I've checked the reception at various places and always gotten a signal. You can also set it to track you and tell someone where you are........if you're in the same place 2 hours you're probably unconscious and they should send help

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Can I turn off the SPOT tracking so if I'm weathered in at the Moab Brewery bar for more than 2 hours my wife won't send help?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for the info. I'm familiar with SPOT but was thinking Sat Phone since I can rent one "relatively" cheaply and I'm not aware of any place you can rent a SPOT???

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    I'm not aware of anyplace you can rent a SPOT, but they don't cost that much and then you have it for your travels and just flip it on when you feel your might exceed your "stupid" factor.
    The advantage of the SPOT is that when you going to be in the Moab brewery for several hours you can just leave it in your car parked down the street at one of the churches and your wife will think you are devout. I wouldn't leave it at the Twisted Sisters parking lot though because a google search might reveal that historically that building was a brothel

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I might be in the area around your end dates and I will also be riding alone. If your still in town and want to meet up.
    I know it's cold at night but where is a good place to camp?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Looking like the weather isn't going to be very good when I'm there now. Kind of a bummer.

Hit me up when you get out there. I'm pretty much up for riding with anybody.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Yeah, winter has returned to the SW, except California. We have great biking here now. I was going to leave tomorrow for Virgin and later in the week to Fruita then Moab but I'm not into riding in snow since Anchorage 20+ years ago.

Sedona is looking pretty good right now. There is also some great riding around Phoenix and Tucson. Really cool to ride with huge cactus along the trails but you do not want to screw up and hit one.

I heard from a guy today on the Santa Cruz trails that he considers Sedona better than Moab. May be worth a try if the weather doesn't improve in Moab. I haven't biked Sedona for a decade but I understand there are many more trails now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Well, St. George weather is looking better. Might head down there instead. Not sure yet. Need to decide pretty soon though since I'm suppose to head out in the morning...

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    St. George weather seems to be drier and warmer than the big trails around Virgin. There are some decent trails around St. George. Zen Trail kicked our butts in a few places.

Great bike shop in St George https://redrockbicycle.com. They can sell you the map and make trail recommendations. After a rain the trails around St George dry out within a day.

You do not want to drive to Gooseberry after a good rain. Puppy shit traction and deep puddles in the road. Check with Over The Edge Sports in Hurricane about road conditions up on the mesa. OTE is a bit off the beaten path so map the address and navigate in with your smartphone or tablet.

While we prefer staying in Springdale we stay in St George Utah Motel | Motel in St George when nothing inexpensive in Springdale. The rooms are one bedroom apartments and cheap. Also a hot tub we didn't get around to using it yet.

The watering hole in St George is at George's Corner about a 4 block walk from that motel.

I've canceled my trip through south UT to Fruita, CO for the next 10 days due to weather. After 20 years in the north I don't like going outside unless the highs are in the upper 50's or above. I remember when that was early season sun bathing weather in Anchorage :-)

Hopefully it will warm up in Moab in a week or so and I'll head there for Thaw and Outerbike.

Keep us posted about what you end up doing!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for all the advice and info. Looks like im going to head to St. George in the am. Should be a good time. Good riding down there as well.

PV

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    IMO, top rides to hit in the St. George area are as follows (and not in any particular order):

Zen
    Barrel
    Sidewinder/Suicidal Tendencies/Precipice
    Green Valley Loop/Stucki Springs
    Church Rocks (almost always good conditions, even in the rain)

Have fun down there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Awesome. Can't say it enough, thanks for all the info and advice. I'll be sure to check as many as I can. Just getting ready to head that direction.

mtbr member
    Looks like they got a little snow up on the mesas (and a skiff in town too!) last night, but I'll bet the dirt will be primo around St. George. Check with OTE in Hurricane before heading up to Gooseberry or Little Creek.

I agree with drboudreaux. My top three as well (Zen, Barrels, Sidewinder/Precipice/Suicidal Tendencies) although I liked the new Scout loops out at Quail Creek SP better than Church rocks. Green Valley/Stucki Springs are more XC but are also fun.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    So made to SG. Sitting in the hotel room looking at the trail map. Talked to a dude at red rock bike and he said most of the trails will need time to dry out b/c of the snow. The mountains are white around here for sure. So he suggested prospector/church rocks and either paradise rim or pioneer rim. Too many "P"s....Need to go back in the am so I'll ask again. Drove to the prospector trail head before it got dark and it looks fairly flat? But could be an ok warm up/shake down ride. Plus we will see how my legs and lungs hold out...

PV

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    When I was there during the flash flood at the end of last Sept various bike shops recommended Church Rocks as the first to dry out. We rode Zen anyway and it was dry. The Rampage site near Virgin under Gooseberry Mesa dried out fast also so JEM may be ready tomorrow or the next day.

I was supposed to be camping in Virgin tomorrow night. Glad I canceled :-)

Bootleg Canyon near Boulder City is about 2 hours south of you and warmer and drier. Check the videos on YouTube.

Over The Edge Sports in Fruita reports snow on the trails and several days to dry out. Moab is probably the same. Your best chance in where you are and Bootleg.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    If you're set on riding Gooseberry, you could park at the bottom and bike up to the mesa (if the road is too mucky to drive). This probably adds about 6 miles round trip and more than 1,000 feet of climbing (I'm guessing at the numbers). I just got back from Bootleg Canyon, Boulder City, NV. There were a couple of snow patches at the top.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks. It's all new to me so we'll just see how it goes. Better than working!

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    We have great riding and weather around the South SF Bay if nothing works out in southern UT or NV for you. Only 11 hours away :-)

Riding Santa Cruz is getting too popular. Getting crowded on our new Demo Flow Trail high in the Santa Cruz Mountains. It is a pump track painted on the side of a mountain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I rode Zen 2 weeks ago, and my impression is it would dry out very quickly. I would definitely check out that area and be ready to ride.

mtbr member
    I would much rather do Quail Creek than Prospector if that's what they're recommending due to wet dirt/mud. Just saw a post on the OTE FB page saying it was perfect dirt and ready to ride. Not many people are recommending it because they haven't ridden it yet. It's brand new and is right across the reservoir from Prospector. It's short but fun tech and well worth checking out. Go to utahmountainbiking.com for the beta.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Did paradise rim this am and prospector/church rock this afternoon. Both were fun. Did most of the trails around paradise rim and rode church rock both directions. Actually ran into a local on church and he ended up showing me a number of the side tracks off off of it. Very cool. Found a few issues with the bike, five minutes out of the parking lot this am my reverb cable broke off from the button no idea why. I'm missing a spacer on my cranks, my fault, so they keep coming loose. Of corse I discovered this at the furthest point from the truck on the am ride when the non-drive side crank arm literally fell off. Of course I didn't have a large enough allen with me. Interesting ride back to the truck with only one crank and pedal. But the biggest issue is my fork basically failed. Noticed on the pm ride that my body position seemed off and saw I had about two inches of stanchion vissible when I was on the bike. Long story short, I believe there is a leak between the pos and neg chambers. Of course I went with a BOS fork which no one can work on rather than a pike which everyone works on... Figured this out after BOS had closed for the day. So, I'm headed to Vegas right now to see if they can fix it "real fast" tomorrow. Unconventional, I know, but don't have much to loose. I'd have to rent in order to ride tomorrow and if they can't do it, I still have to rent. So one way or the other I'm going to ride bootleg tomorrow. Then back up to Saint George for Thursday as my brother is coming down tomorrow night to ride with me for the day. Should be a good time regardless of what happens.

PV

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Rode bootleg canyon today. Loved it. Only did two laps as I was a little short on time by the time I got up there but had a great time. Back in Saint George for tomorrow's ride. Not sure what yet...

PV

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    So just to wrap up this thread and the trip I figure I better give a short blurb about the last two days. Had a great time with my brother, rented him a SC bronson which he really like. Rode Jem trail, part of the rim trail, and then the another connecting one that heads up towards the mesas that has a bunch of really short ups and downs. Spacing the darn name right now... Then we actually ran over to gooseberry just before dark and did a real short intro loop on it. At the end of the day my brother, who hasn't ridden a bike in a long time, was completely broke off but had a great time. We were wishing we would have skipped the trail I can't remember the name of and gone over to gooseberry sooner. Would have like to spend more time over there. Then on Friday I rode Graftin Mesa with some locals which was a kick in the ass. Really enjoyed that ride since it was a lot more descending, which I'm quite partial too... Over all the trip was awesome and I'm looking forward to going back the next time I'm in Utah. Have to give a big thanks for everyone here that have advice and tips and to Red Rock Bikes has they were a huge help and amazingly accommodating. Plus it was one of the guys from Red Rock that invited me along for the Graftin ride!

PV