Moab: How miserable will I be on my 36lb bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Moab: How miserable will I be on my 36lb bike?

I'm going on my first trip to Moab in the end of March and can't decide which bike to ride. My choice is between my 06 Specialized Enduro (coil shock and fork w/ 6" travel, 20mm axle, platform pedals- 36lbs) or my GF Cake 3 dlx (air shock, crappy coil fork, 5"x5" travel, clipless pedals, 28ish lbs).

I plan to ride Slickrock, Porcupine Rim, Sovereign, Bartlett Wash and maybe Amasa Back. I'm not into hucking huge stuff, I like to ride fast through rough terrain and not back off of 2-4 foot drops, small jumps, etc... the Enduro is perfect for that. I usually use the Cake for mellow XC rides. Honestly, the Enduro is much more fun to ride but obviously not ideal for climbing and long XC rides.

So how much will it suck to ride my bigger bike on these trails?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    You'll have a lot of fun on Porcupine. My friend took his Big Hit on Slickrock and was able to keep up okay with the rest of the group who had XC bikes.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Unless you're going to ride that sandy, 24 Hour race course, I don't know why anyone would want to take a short travel bike to Moab. A Cake at 5in of travel would be about at the bottom of the suspension travel level for down there,especially at Bartlett Wash.

Take your 36lb pig and you'll be happy you did.

Have fun.

NOT Team Sanchez

Roger that........

Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Unless you're going to ride that sandy, 24 Hour race course, I don't know why anyone would want to take a short travel bike to Moab. A Cake at 5in of travel would be about at the bottom of the suspension travel level for down there,especially at Bartlett Wash.

Have fun.

He speaks the truth!
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ride what you you got and grin from ear to ear 'cause it's Moab!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Have fun.
    Agreed!

I keep my old Yeti ASX with Marz 66 (Freddie the Yeti - 40lb) really just for Moab and the NS. I've ridden all the trails you listed on said bike except Sovereign. Felt fine to me. Moab is hard on bikes.

Chumley for prez!

Have fun.
    Are you actually endorsing someone ride a Specialized????? Is this Silverfox?
    I thought I knew you. You've changed man.

Just kidding.....ditto to what everyone else said, 36lb is A-OK for the rides you are planning.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the replies! I'll ride the Enduro for sure Can't wait to get there!
    Last edited by detekt; 03-04-2009 at 12:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by detekt
    Thanks for the replies! I'll ride the Enduro for sure Can't wait to get there!

Ummm..... Have fun cranking that on the uphills

If you're worried about bottoming out the shocks, add some pressure. I enjoy my VL120 just fine out here on all those trails mentioned and especially enjoy not cranking the extra weight up all the climbs.

Bring both!!
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

Phil from San Diego
    the Enduro will be perfect. Take it.

I was there last year on my 05 Yeti ASX ~36lbs and had a blast. Of course i couldn't climb those near vertical climbs on the Slickrock trail like the other goaters.. =p but going down Porcupine was an absolute blast!

I will be going back with the same rig again 4/19-4/25. Time to ride hard and get in better shape before then!

Photos from last year's trip: www.passion4outdoors.com under Moab 2008.

Phil.

Members who have read this thread: 0