Moab Guides? Help- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    39

    Moab Guides? Help

    Sorry to post in two forums but...

    Going in May no matter what but need advice on tour guides? Solfun? anyone familiar with them and can offer an opinion, hopefully not biased.

    Any options/ companies I am not thinking of or know about?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    204
    If you are interested in highly personalized tour check out www.treksntrails.com

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    77
    I can highly recommend the crew at treksntrails.

    My friend and I ventured to Moab last September for the first time and had an incredible riding experience primarily because of the quality of the people and service we received from treksntrails. We had a dedicated guide for 2 days (Darcy - an amazing rider and super nice guy) who really knew his stuff and quickly matched our skill level with the appropriate types of trails and terrain. We managed to ride stuff we didn't think we were capable of doing which was awesome. Darcy even carried extra drinks and snacks for us to help make sure we were properly hydrated and fueled up during the hot days. We rented Ibis Mojos through treksntrails from Uranium Bicycles and they performed flawlessly.

    They're not the cheapest outfit in Moab but you get what you pay for and we came home very, very happy. We would definitely use them again.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crager34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    384
    What are you interested in riding and why do you want a guide? Just courious is all.
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

  5. #5
    Out there
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,298
    mountainbikebuddies.com

    Mark will shuttle you and arrange guides when you need them. Awesome guy.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

  6. #6

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by crager34
    What are you interested in riding and why do you want a guide? Just courious is all.
    Sorry, slow responding, busy at work...

    We are going with a guide because

    Never been there

    Wife is a little behind me skill wise so why ruin a vacation by not knowing where to take her.

    I am not an expert rider so why risk anything for what amounts to paying for and utilizing someones expertise?

    I really thought there would be like the usual stuff in any city......... this bike shop/ tour guide is good , this one is bad... or at least a mix.... hope that makes sense of what I was looking for.. not trying to complicate it just want to have a great vacation during a suck A
    economy time for all or most of us.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crager34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordog
    Sorry, slow responding, busy at work...

    We are going with a guide because.

    Never been there.
    You are in for a treat and guide books can and are great resources.

    Quote Originally Posted by gatordog
    Wife is a little behind me skill wise so why ruin a vacation by not knowing where to take her..
    Good call. Gotta keep the wife happy for sure

    Quote Originally Posted by gatordog
    I am not an expert rider so why risk anything for what amounts to paying for and utilizing someones expertise?.
    PM me if you like.

    Quote Originally Posted by gatordog
    I really thought there would be like the usual stuff in any city......... this bike shop/ tour guide is good , this one is bad... or at least a mix.... hope that makes sense of what I was looking for.. not trying to complicate it just want to have a great vacation during a suck A
    economy time for all or most of us.
    Since this is a Mt. Town, finding those you mention won't be hard at all and you should do what your comfortable with for certain. Maybe this will help some:

    http://www.discovermoab.com/tour.htm
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

  8. #8
    alien exchange student
    Reputation: Rider Mel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    106

    Help available

    As others have said, a guide isn't necessary for most folks. That said, they can make it less stressful for you. If piece of mind is worth the price you should do it.

    If you want advice on which trails might be the best choices, feel free to PM or email me ([email protected]). You don't have to buy my book - I'm happy to answer questions in any case. Just have a good time in Moab and keep coming back. I've been riding some of the trails with my son since he was 6 - it's not all craziness.

    Have a blast and let me know if I can help.

    PS the guys from treksntrails are really friendly (I'd bet most of the guides are).

    Mel

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation: cruso414's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,101
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a similar question. Me and a couple of guys are doing the San Juan Hut trip from Durango to Moab in september and the plan is to drive to moab and get us, our bikes, and gear shuttled to durango so that we will be riding toward our vehicle. Any suggestions on companies in moab that would do this? I looked into trying to rent a pickup truck in moab but any suggestions are greatly appreciated.s

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider Mel
    As others have said, a guide isn't necessary for most folks. That said, they can make it less stressful for you. If piece of mind is worth the price you should do it.

    If you want advice on which trails might be the best choices, feel free to PM or email me ([email protected]). You don't have to buy my book - I'm happy to answer questions in any case. Just have a good time in Moab and keep coming back. I've been riding some of the trails with my son since he was 6 - it's not all craziness.

    Have a blast and let me know if I can help.

    PS the guys from treksntrails are really friendly (I'd bet most of the guides are).

    Mel
    I went to Moab last spring and used your rider's guide that weekend. I must congratulate on a job well done! Keep up the good work

    -E

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.