Moab-Family Rides/Trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Moab-Family Rides/Trails

Doing a family trip to Moab for Spring Break, it'll be my first trip to Moab for biking (been there to hike in Arches and for some Jeeping in the past). Looking for some trail/ride recommendations that are family friendly. Looking for trails a 6 year old can ride and that I can pull my 4 year old on the trail-a-bike.

For those of you familiar with Fruita trails, my 6yo rides Kessel Run and Prime Cut and I've done those same trails with my 4yo behind me on the trail-a-bike.

We're going to camp at the Sand Flats area, so something relatively close by would be good. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Slickrock is out. The trail-a-bike could easily jackknife on one of the steep descents.

You could ride Fins 'n Things, but there is a lot of Jeep/motorcycle traffic and deep sand.

Hurrah Pass, Bar-M Loop and (maybe) Klondike Bluffs are the best bets. Bar-M and Klondike will require driving from Sand Flats, Hurrah is possible, but you would have at least five miles of pavement at the beginning and at the end, maybe more depending on how far out on Sand Flats you camp. Gemini Bridges is easy enough, but it really is a point to point and is a long ride for a six year old. Bar-M is short, and Hurrah and Klondike are out and back, so it is easier to bail if needed.

Keep the kids hydrated. I've seen several kids get severely dehydrated out there, even when the temps are relatively mild.

Give dirt to me... Repent
    Jul 2005
    Last year my 7yo daughter had a blast on Bar M, and another kid in our group did it on a trail-a-bike without totally wiping out her mom. Stopping for lunch/snacks at the Circle O intersection gives everyone a chance to try out some slickrock, too.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/bar-M-loop.htm

mtbr member
    You've got some good suggetions so far. Also, check out the Intrepid trail system at Dead horse point state park. Fairly level singletrack with huge views. There are 3 nested loops so you can make it about 1 mile, 4 miles, or 9 miles. Little cooler up there too.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/tr...d-horse-pt.htm
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    We wewre down last fall, and took our 5 yr old on Bar M on the trail-a-bike. We actually rode some of the slickrock parts as well as the 2 track. He LOVED it!!! though he did have to walk many of the steeper slickrock whoop-de-dos. He rode his own bike on the bike path in town, and loved it.

John

frejwilk
    For what you're describing, the Intrepid system at Dead Horse Point mentioned above sounds perfect. I'll go further than others and say that I can't think of anything at Sand Flats I'd recommend for your family. The Bar M area seems like it would also be a good choice for you.

There is commercial camping adjacent to the Bar M area and State Park camping at Dead Horse Point.

An important question is when is your Spring Break? If it's Easter, then hopefully you've thought about campsite availability and sharing some trails with vehicles. Not a problem for many of the trails recommended here, but something to consider.

FW

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Intrepid

I had totally forgotten about the Intrepid trails, and I've ridden them twice! They would be perfect. The downside is that they are a 25 mile drive from Moab, and you have to pay the State Park fee to use the trails. They are really fun though, and have a couple of cutoffs for easy bailouts.

I'll echo the comment about being there on Spring Break. Moab is a bit of a madhouse for a couple of weeks. Some years, Colorado schools' Spring Break doesn't line up with the Jeep Safari, but this year they do, so expect a ton of people out there. Depending on exactly when you plan on being there, it might be really tough to get a campsite up at Sand Flats, where camping is first come, first served. The Jeep Safari starts March 27 and runs through April 4.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the trail suggestions.

Spring break for us is March 22-26. Planning on arriving in Moab on Sunday the 21st, hopefully most of the Canyonlands Marathoners will be gone/leaving by then and will probably head home the 25th or 26th before the majority of the Jeepers arrive.

alien exchange student

Some more input

Hey Booner

There is already some great advice here but I thought I'd throw in my two cents as I've ridden with kids in Moab a LOT.

Klondike and the Moab Brand Trails (Bar M plus Circle O, Rockin A but NOT Bar B) will be great. The trailer will probably only work on Bar M but your 6 year old will be okay on the other sections if they are good on Kessel. My wife and I often would do those trails and split up in parts so the kids (then 6/4) both had a good and safe ride. Just make sure they understand the need to get off the bike sometimes. The Intrepid trails will also be lots of fun and the Dead Horse area is great for hiking/play around with kids.

The first loop at Monitor & Merrimac is nice and not too sandy. My kids loved that one.

Gemini Bridges is pretty loaded with jeeps and ATVs but my kids really enjoyed it. It is nearly all downhill on a gravel road. There is a fairly tough climb out but it is mostly just a grind. The bridges area is great for a picnic but make sure the kids play safe near the edge.

Definitely get them onto Slickrock but just hike the practice loop. My kids loved the area and it got them exposed to seeing bikes ride the stuff without actually being on bikes themselves. The practice loop is super scenic too.

Email me if you have any questions. There is a ton of good hiking that is kid-friendly.

Cheers!

Mel ([email protected])

adamant
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    Slickrock is out. The trail-a-bike could easily jackknife on one of the steep descents.
    I call BS on doubting Slickrock. My 5 y/o & i rode Slickrock (she was on her trailerbike) and she LOVED the ride. Our ride time was 1:40 and we played another hour. She also rode the Practice Loop on her bike, with some assist (me pushing) on the steep climbs.

Bar-M is a great area to ride, as is Gemni Bridges
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moab-Family Rides/Trails-thxs_-021-raven-rock.jpg  

Moab-Family Rides/Trails-thxs_-031-shrip-rock.jpg  

Moab-Family Rides/Trails-moab20091107_-045-slicrock-ride.jpg  

scars > tattoos
    My very first mtb rides were in Moab last fall, and I did Slickrock practice loop and the Intrepid loop. I didn't see kids at slickrock, but it would appear from the pics they can do it! However, there were all kinds of kids at Dead Horse Point. Really pretty ride, and some fun little sections, too.

Members who have read this thread: 0