Moab during Jeep Week 2017- Mtbr.com
    Out spokin'

Moab during Jeep Week 2017

My two riding buddies and I (from the Pacific Northwet) need a sun break and want some good riding. Personally I just got a new bike and am eager to break it in. We've been to Moab before and love the riding. The reasons don't matter but suffice to say our only window is during Jeep Week (Apr. 7-15). Never been to Moab during this event. We plan to camp. What will the riding be like? Worthwhile? Should we go to Fruita / someplace else instead?

TIA for any advice.
    --sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    subscribing... I'm also going to be there for part of the week that week, with the family. We're planning on staying north of town for the most part, alternating riding the brand trails, Klonzo area, and maybe Monitor-Merrimac with some hiking in Arches.

Any input from locals on where to be/not to be during Jeep Week would be appreciated.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Most of the jeepers don't camp and if they do they stay close to town to meet up for the early trail runs. Just camp farther from town and try to do all your grocery shopping before you get here because our market goes crazy
    Unless you ride trails that require sharing with the jeeps, like cliffhanger/Amassa back you can likely ride all weeekend without encountering any.

mtbr member
    I agree with Sam. My son and I will be there from 6-9 for my annual a$$ kicking. Even sharing with Jeeps isn't really a problem, I've found. Nice to have someone around to drag my carcass out. Mostly, it'll be crazy in town.

mtbr member
    The town was just too busy when I made this mistake. No problem on the trail though. Hurricane/St George and Fruita are great options.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Picture Unrelated
    I"ve been down there for 5 jeep weeks now and the town is crazy. If you can get to town on Thursday or even Friday morning you'll have many more option for camping as hotels are probably booked solid at this point. Finding a place to sleep will be the biggest obstacle. You might consider the BLM land by the Klonzo/Sovereign area as somewhere the jeepers might not choose first.

Get the schedule for the Jeep events and just go somewhere else. If the jeeps are running Cliffhanger on Saturday morning, don't ride Hymasa/Capt Ahab. The jeeps run on a pretty well organized schedule and are generally very predictable. And, if you get out on the same trails as they're on, they're very friendly and courteous in my experience. If you approach them in a friendly manner you'll almost always find they're friendly too. It's hard to be in the desert and not be loving life! Plus, if you have even a tertiary curiosity of jeep'n you're going to see some of the most incredible machines you might ever get to see and you're going to get easy opportunities to go out and watch them run which can be pretty fun.

If you can find a place to stay then biking during jeep week is a pretty fun time. Granted, there are very few times where I can imagine being in Moab is not worth your trouble. However, if your scene is pure solitude then driving on to Fruita/GJ or down to St. George might be more attractive options. I've been down there during jeep week more than a few times and I've never regretted it. As far as I'm concerned: Moab is always worth my time.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Moab is always fun, but I would personally avoid it during this week (particularly the weekend). It is hard to find camping and any of the shared trails are going to have significantly more traffic on them than usual. I would steer toward Fruita and maybe do a day trip to Moab, or go to St. George and ride some fun trails out there. You can see that everyone has their own opinion. I'd avoid it if I were you, just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    My wife and I drove into town when JW ended, and even in the interstate it looked like an evacuation.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Out spokin'
    Thanks for the info & advice, everyone. I imagine we'll retreat to Fruita if circumstances dictate but for now, my buddies are intent on investigating the Moab scene come hell, high water or Jeep Week. I'm easy, just along for the riding and the sunshine. Wouldn't even mind watching some $100,000 4-wheelers perform their rock crawling tricks.

Thanks again for the input & happy trails!
    --sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.