Moab Conditions- Mtbr.com

Thread: Moab Conditions

mtbr member

Moab Conditions

Might come out this weekend if anything is ridable.

How's it looking?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Thinking of coming down next weekend... Subscribing...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I am interested in this as well as planning on riding on Mon Feb 21.....know it has been really cold but looks as if it should be warming up a bit this next week

frejwilk
    It's nice out today. Mid 40's and not a cloud in the sky. It always feels warmer to me on days like this. It's supposed to be clear and warmer throughout the weekend.

Perfect conditions for the kinds of trails you'd expect to ride this time of year. Firm sand, almost no snow.

FW

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Heading down this weekend. I'll let you all know how conditions are. I'm just psyched to get out. Going to check out Amasa! If anybody knows anything else in good shape, please let me know!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm thinking of coming out this weekend, also. I'm tired of snow and negative temps. Sounds like things are pretty ridable right now. Anybody know if certain trails are better than others this time of year?

mtbr member
    I am heading in from the midwest next weekend would love to hear what trail systems I should hitup.
    Josh
    p.s. First timer

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Amasa is in GREAT shape!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the update Lisa - Did you do any other rides? Were you able to make it all the way to the potash lookout?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    We didn't make it all the way to the top, but that's just because we wanted to play more and practice on the drops. Rode the heavier bike, so the uphill is a bit painful, but worth the fun! You could ride to the top and there were LOTS of people out today (did Amasa again).

Moab Rim is dry and I heard that Sovereign is in good shape as well. Hope you can get out there soon. The weather was incredible!

mtbr member
    Lisa some first timers are heading out next weekend... we are totally cool with cold and we ride in snow here in the midwest, but whats safe for us and safe for the trails?

Josh
    p.s. Calls for rain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hi Josh!
    I am sure there are others that can answer better than me. I tend to always do the same trails when going to Moab. A lot of the ones I love the most won't be ready for a while. But I do have to say Amasa Back is just an all-around great ride (great climb, views, stuff to play on). It's in the best shape I've seen it in right now. Really, anybody with at any level can ride it. I rode it my first trip to Moab as a newbie (it did kick my butt), but I just walked what I couldn't ride. It's a wide trail with lots of line options.

You'd probably enjoy Sovereign singletrack. I don't enjoy it as much on my mtb, but I think that's just because I enjoy it more on the dirtbike. Everybody has to check out Slick Rock Trail once. It just depends on your riding style as to whether you'll enjoy it more, but everybody has different opinions. My favorites are snowed in right now, although Amasa is probably No. 3.

Have fun and enjoy. Hopefully the weather will hold out for you!

alien exchange student

Another couple of options

I agree with Lisa's advice and would add the following as options:

Moab Brand Trails - these are a great intro to Moab terrain. There is a mix of stuff from super easy to pretty tough.

Sovereign Trails - both Garden Mesa and the Sovereign/Saltwash "Classic" loop are great fun. I can't comment on the conditions but given the other stuff, they're probably fine. Maybe someone who is currently in town can add comments.

Klondike Bluffs - I used to use this a lot as a first ride for newbies to Moab. It isn't too tough but it is very scenic and gives you a look at some dino tracks.

Check the conditions of the Intrepid Trails at Dead Horse Point State Park. It is at higher elevation but the trails are also pretty exposed to the sun. Last year at this date would have been snow bound but the year before they were do-able.

The first part of Monitor and Merrimac - this is fun, scenic and not too tough. The sandy bits should do well with a little moisture.

Have fun!

Mel

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How is White Rim looking?

frejwilk
    [QUOTE=Timo]How is White Rim looking?[/QUOTE

It's looking closed.. Did you know about the Mineral Bottom washout and reconstruction?

FW

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR

Rockstaker/Pothole Junction - Amasa Back, Photo: Tyson Swasey
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado

Rockstaker/Pothole Junction - Amasa Back, Photo: Tyson Swasey
    Whassup, JETT and T? Looking pretty all-mountain. About to get your Rockstacker on, one of my all-time favs. How are the shady sections on RS and Jacksons?

Heading down there for a month starting tomorrow, so psyched.

JMH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Heading down there for a month starting tomorrow, so psyched.

JMH

What??? A month?? That's just not fair. So jealous.

Hoping to get there sometime in the next month.... or maybe April.... or September or....??

Have fun.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I'm Awlmountin' to the bone!

Rockstacker is great, the entrance has ice, but that's the only part. It's still rideable, just kinda heady. Opted out of Jackson's, it *looked* doable yesterday, but I was riding with just one other guy and we have a tendency to get a little competitive with each other and I was nervous it could lead to one of our deaths if we unsuspectingly came across an icy bit on a trail with exposure like that. Figured we could save that trail for the rest of the season, sometimes it's fun just to rally down Amasa!

Photo: Screampint
    NOAH SEARS

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado

Photo: Screampint
    Sweet pic, you found my glasses!

That's what I suspected about Jackson's, no reason to get dead this early in the season.

Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey Fred -

I thought people were hiking through that washed out section. What about an out and back on the Schaeffer end or some other similar adventure?

-M

[quote=frejwilk]
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo
    How is White Rim looking?[/QUOTE

It's looking closed.. Did you know about the Mineral Bottom washout and reconstruction?

FW

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    My understanding is that bikes are fine on the WR but no follow vehicles. Washout is walkable.

Shafer Trail is another question... I was out that direction yesterday but I didn't ride all the way up to the white rim. I would GUESS that Shafer still has ice on it and would be closed. But don't take my word for it, give the park a call.

JMH

frejwilk

Mineral Bottom and White Rim

People were hiking through the Mineral Bottom switchbacks last fall. There was also a hike a bike route around the damage in use. Construction is happening now though and it's closed to everyone. I've only seen Spring as the target date for re-opening.

I don't know if Schafer is currently open. When it's closed, you can access the White Rim trail from Potash road. I don't remember ever seeing Potash closed in winter. So you could do an out and back on WR, just not a loop via Mineral Bottom road.

Not to stray to far from the original topic. Conditions are really good in Moab right now. Amasa Back is the classic winter ride. Rides with lots of slickrock are going to be great choices. It's one of the few times I'd recommend Poison Spider Mesa. There are some cool new singletrack options in the Bar M and Pipedream areas, but as of this week there are enough muddy spots (on those trails) to recommend giving them some time to dry. It would be unfortunate to see a new singletrack become widened or rutted.

FW

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by frejwilk
    People were hiking through the Mineral Bottom switchbacks last fall. There was also a hike a bike route around the damage in use. Construction is happening now though and it's closed to everyone. I've only seen Spring as the target date for re-opening.

I don't know if Schafer is currently open. When it's closed, you can access the White Rim trail from Potash road. I don't remember ever seeing Potash closed in winter. So you could do an out and back on WR, just not a loop via Mineral Bottom road.

Not to stray to far from the original topic. Conditions are really good in Moab right now. Amasa Back is the classic winter ride. Rides with lots of slickrock are going to be great choices. It's one of the few times I'd recommend Poison Spider Mesa. There are some cool new singletrack options in the Bar M and Pipedream areas, but as of this week there are enough muddy spots (on those trails) to recommend giving them some time to dry. It would be unfortunate to see a new singletrack become widened or rutted.

FW
    Cool, thanks for the update on Mineral. Potash to White Rim is definitely open, I rode out there yesterday and back in January.

JMH

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Lower desert is pretty dry and snow has melted in the shadows. Upper mesas a likely no go.

pedlr

moab conditions

Quote Originally Posted by toHELLuRIDE
    Might come out this weekend if anything is ridable.

How's it looking?

Thanks in advance.
    Lots o dry trails. We've been having a blast.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Amasa and Jackson's are nice. Out and back from the bottom of porc is great. Poison spider. None of the storms rolling through have dropped significant precip.

I don't know about mud on Sovereign but lots of trails are a go.

pedlr

more

sovereign is dry, except for one spot, as is salt wash, except for a couple of insignificant spots..
    bar m loops are almost all dry, a little mud on lazy and the latest, greatest Deadmans ridge.
    Gold bar(underated in my opinion) is dry, and apparently so is the new Magnificent 7.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    How far did you make it up porcupine before you hit snow? Is it possible to hit from the top? Im guessing not, But ill be there March 12th-18th and trying to get an idea on its condition (wasnt able to hit it last year)
    I repair Carbon Fiber frames.
    http://twobrotherscycleworks.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Amasa Back was a blast yesterday... first time, sucked a lot of wind, wish Illinois was higher elevation and my winter legs were not so wiggly Someone with a dog did a nice whip off the dirt kicker on the right going down about half way back... he then finished it off with a nice manual around the left hander... Whoever that was inspired our group... while we were weezing.

Josh

p.s. Left my dslr in the truck but here is a shot from the lot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Anyone have an update on Sovereign & Amasa conditions?

pedlr
    Quote Originally Posted by DRIDE
    Anyone have an update on Sovereign & Amasa conditions?
    They're dry. The last storms you got up north missed us.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by moabman
    They're dry. The last storms you got up north missed us.

How much of Porcupine is open? Any chance at LPS?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Sovereign is back to full Sandy Glory, didn't see any mud yesterday. Getting up to LPS is still snowy I heard, but it sounds as though the rim is clear.

JMH

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Heard today that Porcy's is good from Lazyman's/LPS entrance. Sovereign, Amasa, other lower desert trails are dry. Weather is 60 degrees. Git sum.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    goin for a ride friday morn, first time riding in moab, any suggestions for major technical stuff, asthma keeps me to 8 to 15 miles.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    if anyone's riding then, i'd love to join.

mtbr member
    Whats the highest we can get on Porc?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    We'll be there (from Denver) on Saturday and Sunday. Sovereign on Saturday morning. Not sure what we'll ride in the afternoon or Sunday. Any suggestions would be great. Sounds like we can ride from LPS on down? Our group is intermediate to advanced level. Just looking for the dry trails - I already went down on ice once this year.
    Noah - sick pic of you dropping that big A rock.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    It's supposed to snow up high tonight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Currently raining down low and snow up top. Tomorrow more of the same. Porkies is fine from lazymans pre storm. Should be fine by the warm up this weekend. LPS has minor snow on it and three feet of snow in the snotch. It is a bit muddy as well.

Cycling, FTW!!
    Its looking like Moab picked up about .10" of precip. in the past 12 hours, that will probably help firm up the sand more than anything. Pushing back my trip to Thursday, it should be a sick weekend!
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Punta Lobos
    Currently raining down low and snow up top. Tomorrow more of the same. Porkies is fine from lazymans pre storm. Should be fine by the warm up this weekend. LPS has minor snow on it and three feet of snow in the snotch. It is a bit muddy as well.
    Sorry, PL, could you explain "lazymans"? Is that where a typical shuttle drops riders off (at the tanks)?
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Sorry, PL, could you explain "lazymans"? Is that where a typical shuttle drops riders off (at the tanks)?
    No, it's between the reg. parking lot and there. If you drive past the reg. parking lot, past the mixed surface section of Sandflats road with exposure, it's another ~1/4 of a mile on the dirt, then you make a gravely switchback turn uphill and it's there on the left. After a short DH section, it put's you out almost to the top of the Porcupine 2-track climb (near Anxiety point).
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Snow came down pretty low, but is melting fast. Lower desert is a go.

mtbr member
    Porky updates? Amassa?

Be there Saturday and Sunday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Subscribing....heading down this weekend and would appreciate a heads up.

The weather looks pretty good from afar, so I'm hoping that some of the higher elevation stuff clears up.

Any updates on Porcupine? LPS? UPS?? (wishful thinking...)

Also does anyone know how Poison Spider / Portal are looking?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Heading down sunday night, planning on riding monday through wednesday. Any updates on trails especially porcupine rim and there is a chance of rain on tuesday, depending on the severity any recommendations on trails? (understand trails with a lot of slickrock would probably be out of the question but any low elevation dirt trails or such)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Talked to one of the shuttle-folk. He said that Porcupine is looking good at least from LPS down. Last week there were still patches of snow on Kokopelli, but its melting fast--might be clear for the weekend. Not sure how rain (snow?) will factor in though.

frejwilk
    Conditions in Moab are generally awesome right now. A few friends rode from LPS down Porcupine today and only encountered snow / slippery conditions at the 'snotch'. Maybe that place will be OK in a day or two.

Beyond that, all of the popular lower elevation trails are in great shape. And this is the time of year to best enjoy those trails. Take advantage! Some sandier stretches can be soft. Winter freeze / thaw and not much rain in March will do that. But it did rain on Thursday and the only sand on the trail I rode today was packed down well.

Regarding rain and slickrock - I think there can be a misconception that you should stay away from 'slickrock heavy' trails in wet conditions. The rock itself is not usually slippery from rain (there are different types of sandstone though and some can be slick when wet). And many rides with lots of slickrock also have some sand (which is way better when wet). Wet sand does help tires slip, some places flood, and obviously intense storms present their own problems - but on a rainy day with a little judgement, most Moab slickrock rides are actually a very good choice.

FW

mtbr member
    subscribing, Heading now 2nd week of April

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    the lower sections of UPS are good if you start at the overlook. It also looks like you can ride up UPS as an out and back. (we didn't bother).

Still a touch of snow/ice right on the switchback of the snotch.

The notch itself is clear but the sidehill across to the rim has a decent amount of snow/ice still but it is going fast. By next weekend it is likely to gone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by santabooze
    subscribing, Heading now 2nd week of April
    Me too, want to avoid the jeep fest.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer ZC
    Me too, want to avoid the jeep fest.
    Are you kidding me? There's so much comedy present that week, you can't turn your head without seeing some idiot roll his bone stock jeep with way oversize tires over! How can you pass that up? Plus most of the bike trails are pretty empty, so it's got that going for it.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    Are you kidding me? There's so much comedy present that week, you can't turn your head without seeing some idiot roll his bone stock jeep with way oversize tires over! How can you pass that up? Plus most of the bike trails are pretty empty, so it's got that going for it.
    Something about having to avoid Amasa Back altogether, my favorite ride there. Not that I don't like the jeepers in general, most of them are great people and helpful to bikers out on the trail (in my experience). Just the congestion and fumes.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Bump for Porc/UPS/etc conditions lately?

Should I bring my skiing gear for a day on snow?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Fragilie
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    Bump for Porc/UPS/etc conditions lately?

Should I bring my skiing gear for a day on snow?

UPS down from the Castle Valley overlook was clear as of 11 a.m. Saturday (8/09/11), but snow just started to fall as I started my ride. Not sure how much fell though.
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Burro pass/Hazard county conditions?
    I am looking to ride the whole enchilada this weekend if possible, if not hopefully from hazard county down.

thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was just there on Saturday. We put in at the top of UPS. Our guys on road bikes said it was still covered in snow above and on Kokopelli, in other words - Hazard County is still under snow. Still, the weather was awesome so it will be getting better and better. I didn't see it with my own eyes - but I bet if the weather is good this week you could start from the road at the top of Kokopelli. Looking up the mountains - I could see quite a bit of snow. UPS is pristine. Good luck.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Any reports from the weekend of 4-23 to 4-24?

I am thinking of making a break for it late this week. Looking for dirt to ride, strong intermediate stuff, don't mind climbing 3000 feet worth or 20 miles if it's not huck and chunk fest. Really prefer riding fast flowy dirt to technical chunk and riding nothing but bedrock. Intermediate, bike is a Niner WFO with 140mm front and rear. Old and slow. Will walk if necessary in sections, but prefer mellow stuff to ride.

Suggestions? PM me.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Any reports from the weekend of 4-23 to 4-24?

I am thinking of making a break for it late this week. Looking for dirt to ride, strong intermediate stuff, don't mind climbing 3000 feet worth or 20 miles if it's not huck and chunk fest. Really prefer riding fast flowy dirt to technical chunk and riding nothing but bedrock. Intermediate, bike is a Niner WFO with 140mm front and rear. Old and slow. Will walk if necessary in sections, but prefer mellow stuff to ride.

Suggestions? PM me.
    Getting answers out of the Moab group is like asking Obama where they slid OBL into the ocean. My suggestion is you try out the new Green Dot addition. It is like riding Grooseberry Mesa downhill. The person who routed that trail deserves a lot of credit , and the people who brought it into the system also deserve a lot of applause.

TD

mtbr member
    Moab is great currently.
    Shuttles are running to the bottom of Koko, so it's a fun pedal up to access UPS.
    Soon shuttles will be putting in on top of Koko, just below the Hazard terminus.
    Pipedream is killer and the word really isn't out yet so you can avoid crowds.
    M7 is good to go for the most part and the shuttle companies are trying to get groups out to the ride. Check with Coyote and Porcupine to see interst and viability of a shuttle for this ride. Sort of burly to really burly depending on how you choose to end ride.
    All the standard stuff is in good shape.
    Go ride.
    Will still be weeks+ before Hazard down is an option.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    My suggestion is you try out the new Green Dot addition.

TD
    From utahmountainbiking.com: "Green Dot Trail. Area closed. This is an old unofficial route above Gemini Bridges which is being replaced by the Bull Run trail."

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Nothing above the loop road is dry. below the loop road it is all good.

banned

What A Waste Of Time!!!!!!!!!!! "DUDE that was AMAZING"

[QUOTE=Norman Clydesdale]Moab is great currently.
    Shuttles are running to the bottom of Koko, so it's a fun pedal up to access UPS.
    Soon shuttles will be putting in on top of Koko, just below the Hazard terminus.
    Pipedream is killer and the word really isn't out yet so you can avoid crowds.
    M7 is good to go for the most part and the shuttle companies are trying to get groups out to the ride. Check with Coyote and Porcupine to see interst and viability of a shuttle for this ride. Sort of burly to really burly depending on how you choose to end ride.
    All the standard stuff is in good shape.
    Go ride.
    Will still be weeks+ before Hazard down is an option./QUOTE]

NC:

Thanks for the report.

My sources say the Green Dot, Yellow Dot, Bull Run lower section is open with the upper section to be opened shortly. If this is any sign how are government works we are in BIG trouble. The original Geen Dot took four days to build and was ridden for two years before it was closed. The next three years it was ridden by people who couldn't accept that such a beautifully layed out trail should be closed. Now five years latter the trail is almost opened again. I guess you could call that progress, rather than a waste of time.

Once the whole M7 (29 miles) is open, which it will some day, I will once again write a similar post. In the mean time I will enjoy the memories of some pretty special rides that some thought was the worst ride ever or "DUDE that was AMAZING".

Those Green Dot haters must be really dispondent over the final and future opening of M7. Maybe because they are using yellow paint now they will accept the rational of using paint to mark a trail.

TD

Members who have read this thread: 0