Moab conditions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Moab conditions?

Looking at web cams, the place looks buried.
    I know it's been an unusually cold & snowy winter there. Are there ANY trails rideable now, even Slickrock or Amasa Back? Coming out in 2 weeks, hoping I can bring my mtb. Otherwise, I may be bringing xc skis for a tour in the LaSals.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Definitely bring your bike. It's supposed to be warmer next week with rain thurs and friday. Slickrock, Amasa Back, Bar M, and Daves and Chili's should be clear by then.
    Bring your skiis too - its deep up there...

mtbr member
    How is it looking? Amasa Back? What about the new single track trail off of the top? Hoping something is rid able.

mtbr member
    Bump. I'm thinking of heading down there this weekend. I don't care about the temperature as long as the ground is dry. What's rideable?

mtbr member
    I called Chili Pepper. She said Amasa Back and Poison Spider are ride able as out and backs. Snow is in their forecast today and tomorrow, so she said to call back today and see how conditions are. I am thinking of going Friday and Sat as well.

mtbr member
    yes I heard similarly that this year is the harshest winter there in years, lots of snow, and way colder than usual.
    check the Red Cliff lodge (about 20mi east of Moab) web-cam. Still no snow yet today, hoping it stays that way, as it will prob struggle to reach 40 there the next few days.
    http://www.redcliffslodge.com/webcam/
    I'll ride whatever is open, beggars can't be choosers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jcospoco
    yes I heard similarly that this year is the harshest winter there in years, lots of snow, and way colder than usual.
    check the Red Cliff lodge (about 20mi east of Moab) web-cam. Still no snow yet today, hoping it stays that way, as it will prob struggle to reach 40 there the next few days.

It hasn't hit 40 degrees in Moab since December 2.

It is the coldest winter there in decades. Keep in mind that Red Cliff is on the river at an elevation of about 4000 feet, while many of the riding areas around Moab are 1000 feet higher. You'll definitely be pushing snow in any shaded area at this point.

If only the temps would run 10-20 degrees colder than normal in July....

Desert Seeker
    I just went up Poison Spider trail on the bike. It was about 36 degrees at the trail head and bright and sunny. The first part of the trail is pretty clear. Anywhere that is shady has crusty snow, but it is kind of fun to ride. I got 2.5 miles up the trail before I turned around. At that point, there was a shady slickrock passage up that was pretty snowed in. I didn't see any bike tracks beyond where I turned around, just some hikers. It was nice to get and get some fun, but the ride was pretty short! BTW, the wet sand messed with my drive train a bit, but not too bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcospoco
    Thanks for the webcam link.
    I am heading down in April, hope the weather is on the mend by then!
    "It's never just a game when you're winning."
    George Carlin (1937-2008)

mtbr member
    Since my wife's race finished at Poison Spider TH, I rode about the same stretch of lower Poison Spider Tr as glesoine above. Apparently, you can also ride the lower 3-4mi of Amasa Back. I don't think Slickrock was advisable, as the north and east aspects still were holding snow. Trails north of town like Sovereign, Baby Steps, Gemini Bridges, Bar M, etc..- have much more snow and are still a ways out.

Moab just needs a week solid of about 45 deg to get things melted. May be a couple weeks away from that with this weather pattern.

Fruita has even more snow. Those trails may not be ready til mid March.

Damn you winter!!

Your Best Friend
    I went ahead and forwarded this thread to Al Gore so he can add it to his global warming arguments.

Desert Seeker
    Screw the stupid political comments. The forum for biking related topics.

mtbr member
    We're thinking of going on April 1st. Does anyone know what the conditions are generally like then?

frejwilk
    Quote Originally Posted by macming
    We're thinking of going on April 1st. Does anyone know what the conditions are generally like then?
    Conditions are generally awesome on Easter weekend. Of course, Moab is packed with jeep safari and spring breakers that weekend too.

FW

banned

Does Anyone Hike the Green Dot or Blue Dot????

It would be interesting to know how the Green Dot and Blue Dot are doing this year? On a go forward basis it sure would be nice if the BLM could help out the Moab economy and open up those two hiking trails to mountain biking. Has anyone been out hiking those trails this winter to see if they could be rideable in the future if they ever get adopted.

Both trails would bring thousands of riders to Moab during these cold weather periods since they may be more rideable than other current system trails at higher elevations during cold snowy periods. Both trails provide an out and back potential similar to Amasa Back and Poison Spider.

I feel sorry for the bike shops and shuttle services when potential customers call up and ask what conditions are like in Moab.

Just think if they could say, "we have two new trails that are totally awesome. They are fun to ride and unbelievably scenic. I really believe you will totally enjoy them so head on down from Salt Lake or over from Denver and let's ride."

Oh well, it's too bad that the land mangers can't help out the community and get them some new worth while trails to ride like we have in Sedona. Over the last five years Sedona has become the place to ride during cold rainy/snowy periods in other parts of the world.

Sedona has the trail system that keeps on giving and with the new loop guide there is over ten days of great riding. It is too bad that Moab is loosing its customer base, because they certainly have the potential to have a much better trail system than Sedona, and without the cooperation of the land managers they are a sinking ship.

With the internet, riders now days are better able to get the secret Intel on where the riding is the best during cold wet snowy periods in the rest of the world. The riding has been great this winter in Sedona and we are happy to share the goods, so if Moab doesn't come through people have options

The next time you are in Sedona check out the H……E trail. It has Moabesk type sections that will blow your mind and the H...E Notch is more fun to ride than the one on the LPS guaranteed.

TD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moab conditions?-adrian.jpg  

Moab conditions?-4.jpg  

Moab conditions?-1.jpg  

Last edited by traildoc; 02-16-2010 at 11:21 AM.

mtbr member
    be curious to see how Moab conditions are next week, after this wknd's chance of snow has come and gone. Thinking about a return visit for the 2/26-28 wknd, weather permitting.

I'd rather be biking...
    ...wrong post

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Is there anyone that has the low down on the current conditions? I am supposed to be joining in on a trip that is scheduled to get there on March 8 (which is a little ways out yet) and have heard/read that the conditions are not looking too favorable. Based on current weather forecasts, is there a good chance that the area will be reasonably free of snow and wet conditions, or might looking towards St. George be a better plan (the temps look really good to dry up any rain there within a reasonable amount of time)? Although the 10 day Moab forecast looks a little promising, getting some local info would be great.

I know I am not the only one sick of this unusual winter, so hopefully we can come down and enjoy your neck of the woods, I am really looking forward to it. Cheers!
    Ride because you love it and for no other reason.

More Chasmism
    Crappy wet slushy sloppy cold right now. Supposed to continue precipitating through the weekend. It's gonna take more than the usual "few warm days" to clear this all out. The weather gods have it out for us.

Of course, the desert will bloom like mad come April and May.

hfly

mtbr member

How bout now?

How we looking now? I heard the last storm missed / did nothing. BTW, yup, the spring bloom should be a once and a life time photo op!
    The best trails are STILL...

www.breckepic.com
    http://mavsports.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Will LPS be rideable from March 12-20th? That's my spring break timeframe and because last year was so fun I'm going back. Will it be in vein?

mtbr member
    almost for sure LPS will still be buried in snow, not just muddy & unridable. But you should prob be able to ride some other trails there that are 1,000-2,000' lower. I think a lot of locals are saying the 3/6 wknd might be the first wknd worth coming out to Moab for to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBat
    Will LPS be rideable from March 12-20th? That's my spring break timeframe and because last year was so fun I'm going back. Will it be in vein?
    In vein, like a needle in a vein? Or Vain, as in "will it be in vain?"
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Any updates for this weekend?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    In vein, like a needle in a vein? Or Vain, as in "will it be in vain?"

I understand why you have over 1,000 posts.... I'm sure over half of them are as worthless as that one.^^

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBat
    I understand why you have over 1,000 posts.... I'm sure over half of them are as worthless as that one.^^
    At least 75% of them are.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Snowed again today. More on the way. Cold as hell. Go to Salt Lake for warmer weather. All the storms go through the south this year. Everyone in Moab is going nuts. Forget about biking in Moab until March. All bets are off for March until we see a real warm up. Hikers have been having a hard time finding a trail to hike that is not covered in snow.

Keep in mind though a warm up can happen fast here in Moab.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just when I thought it was going to warm up it got colder. There is not much to ride here right now - maybe Amasa Back out and back, Dave's trail, and Chili's. That's it. Northern aspects of Slick rock are covered in 4-6" of snow. LPS and UPS are under more than 2 feet of snow. I don't think LPS will be clear until April.
    I'm so desperate I rode my DH bike up Sand Flats Rd for a workout the other day...

More Chasmism
    28" so far this year at the airport. More with last night's storm. I've seen more snow this year than in my previous 12 years here combined, methinks.

hfly

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hfly
    28" so far this year at the airport. More with last night's storm. I've seen more snow this year than in my previous 12 years here combined, methinks.hfly
    Maybe the shops could promote back country skiing up Hazard from the LaSal Loop Road. Sedona riding has been awesome and my wife said the skiing in Flagstaff was a bluebird day.

TD

Luddite technophile

Moab web cams

For those of you needing daily updates, here are the only web cams I've found:

http://moablive.com/webcam.asp

mtbr member

Sedona? Really

Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    Maybe the shops could promote back country skiing up Hazard from the LaSal Loop Road. Sedona riding has been awesome and my wife said the skiing in Flagstaff was a bluebird day.

TD

TD, alwasy love your 2 cents, but REALLY, with the AZ bla bla. We're talkin about eastern Utah dammit!
    All the best

www.breckepic.com

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by breckseth
    TD, alwasy love your 2 cents, :

BS:

Just trying to get the word to folks who are looking for a great place to ride while great riding destinations are thawing or drying out. This is a post I just got from one of your Colorado buddies who seems to think he may have hit the pot of gold. Kind of put a smile on my face since I am stuck in a personal Hell right now and haven't been riding.

22 Hours Ago
    Ride2Suffer

Alright Dude......Right off the bat I want to say--->you rock !! Off the map, kick ass trail. 2 1/2 hours with a bit of searching.

Right out the back door, I headed up and took trails to the left and ended up on a super sick and fun ridge trail (made in the shade) dropped down back onto slim shady to your slick rock stop and pray directions, Grabbed the the key from the gatekeeper and headed up the hidden wash trail.....super sick and fun trail along the rock ridge, what an awesome trail, dropped down in the saddle of South Cathedral rock, took me onto a real sketchy trail around the back side that came to an end point, came back around the front side and came to another end point, getting a little frustrated (not) started back tracking and found a trail on the right that was just kick ass down to the baldwin loop, rode alot of that steep radical stuff with a hiker audience..(they were asking a bunch of questions about the trail)...got on the Baldwin loop to HT trail to Bell Rock trail return.......

OH MY GOD <------best trial I have ever ridden, I have ridden everywhere !!!

Thinking thursday......Hangover or Chuck wagon.
    Do you all have a preference between the 2

Quote:
    Originally Posted by traildoc
    3 days ago

R2S:

Your very first ride is out your front door. Not only will this be your first ride, but it has the potential of being one of the best rides your have ever done guaranteed. It may also be your worst ride if you are a woose..

When you get to your room (at the Aguave) and are ready to ride jump on your bike and ride to the back gate which shouldn't be more than 50 yards from your door. As you ride through the gate look toward your eleven o'clock position. Ride to the base of the cliff band which could take 3 or 4 routes to get to the upper trail. The trail is called Made in the Shade and it heads north at the base of the Cliff Band.

Follow the trail to it's high point and start the twisty descent for about 1/2 mile. You will be riding in an easterly direction through 3 to 4 switchbacks. Look to your left for an intersecting trail, which is Slim Shady. If you seem to be riding south (back to the Aguave) you have gone to far so turn back.

Ride Slim Shady until you can see a parking lot on the east side of Hwy 179 at the north end of a rock that looks like a bell that is Bell Rock. You will know you are at the right spot if there is a rather big slickrock area to your right.

At this point (if you are enjoying the ride) ride out on the slickrock and get off your bike. Get down on your knees and pray to God that you are one of the lucky ones. You are about to be given the key to the candy store.

Get back on your bike and start riding north on Slim Shady. Look to your left for a top secret trail that might have foot prints on it. If you ride you bike to a high point on Slim Shady and start droping down you have gone to far. Turn around and look for the secret trail on your right.

OK you have been given the keys to the store so don't screw up. If you find your way you will hook up with the Baldwin trail otherwise you will be doing a really cool out and back.

Let us know what happened

TD

crd
    ride like a girl
    Quote Originally Posted by hfly
    Of course, the desert will bloom like mad come April and May.

hfly
    Can't wait for that!

This year was my first time I didn't go to Moab over VD/Prez day weekend since it was buried in snow. I am looking forward to the spring, whenever it feels like getting here! There are plans to hit it late April for some birthday celebration.

We'll try to keep someone from doing a superman too, hehe..

mtbr member

I hear you

TD: I do appologize, I'm just a grumpy prick right now b/c we are so sick of winter up in ski country. Sedona does look sick & I'd be stoked to check it if it wasn't 10 hours away, where as Moab is only 4.5

www.breckepic.com

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by breckseth
    TD: I do appologize, I'm just a grumpy prick right now b/c we are so sick of winter up in ski country. Sedona does look sick & I'd be stoked to check it if it wasn't 10 hours away, where as Moab is only 4.5
    BS:

Thanks for the apology, it was nice to hear but I realize there is a lot of frustration out there so I don't take it personally.

Thought I would share R2S's second ride response after me giving him the
    Intel from a remote location in rainy northern Cali:

1 Day Ago #16
    traildoc
    mtbr member

To:R2S:

Ok here is the next key that will give you a taste of hog candy.

Repeat yesterdays ride to the Cathedral/Templeton intersection. Drop down Catheral to the wash at the bottom that is Easy Breezy turn right up the wash and ride to HT and turn left to Bell Rock Pathway. Cross Bell Rock Pathway and ride to Little Horse trail climb up Little Horse to Chicken Point. Ride down Broken Arrow to High on the Hog. This is a tricky intersection because the High on the Hog trail hugs the cliff band to your left. If you start dropping down from the base of the cliffband you ar missing the intersection.

One on High on the Hog ighten your seat belt. Ride to an open slickrock area in a westerly direction. This is where Hog Heaven starts. The trail is above you so you need to turn left to gt on the ledge above you. When on top ride west on the edge of the cliff. When you don't think you can ride any further the trail turns left up a narrow wash coming off the cliffs to your left..Get ready to hang a right U turn to get you on the saddl above you. Once you are on the saddle continue west.to Mystic or when you get to a trail intersection turn right on Hog Wash which will take you to the Broken Arrow Trail.

Good Luck

TD

TD
    Attached Images

To: traildoc

19 Hours Ago #17
    Ride2Suffer

that ride was incredible::....

Up SlimShady to HighLine (couldn't pass up high line) all the way across and down to Baldwin, baldwin to templeton to HT to Little horse to broken arrow (had to search a bit for the Hog trail (you directions were awesome) doubled back just one time and spotted it, OMG that Hog trail rules, hustled up and over that trail down to the broken arrow trail, back up to chicken point, down little horse trial to LLama to bell rock return.

I must say, I am a little whooped after 3 day's of riding your excellent trail recommendations.

The trail system here is awesome, Hog is by far my fav to this point, almost 100% rideable and at a good clip to keep the HR up, switch backs are perfectly engineered to keep your momentum.

3.25 hour ride.

Thanks again for all your help, I would not have found or heard of these off the map trials

Ok, one more day:::....Hangover ??

Members who have read this thread: 0