Moab conditions?- Mtbr.com
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR

Moab conditions?

I'd like to make the trip over the border and ride tomorrow. Is Slickrock or Amasa Back ridable? I don't care if it's cold, or if there are patches of snow, just as long as they aren't covered in snow. Locals?
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I don't know the answer but I'm definitely interested as well. I'm visiting the family in Tucson, AZ for Christmas and I want a couple days of riding before the food bloat begins. If there is snow in Moab, maybe I should head farther south ...

More Chasmism

Snowy

Last night, we just received our third few-inch snowfall of the last few weeks. Everything is still covered, and will probably be sloppy for the next few days. I have a pretty good sense of winter riding options here in Moab, with Amasa a frequent cold-weather haunt, but by this weekend even it will still be too sloppy methinks. We seem to have skipped November & December altogether, going from an epic, dry Indian summer to snowier than normal winter conditions in the space of a few weeks.

Here's a pic of my house (with PS Mesa in the background) taken a few minutes ago.

hfly
    Attached Images Attached Images

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Thanks Hfly,
    I figured it was a no go, we got a couple inches over here too. Time to hit the rollers, ick!
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Monday/Tuesday?

I'll probably roll through the area Monday afternoon. Any thoughts as to what might be rideable (if anything) on Tuesday? I was thinking Sovereign or Amasa Back...but then again, I guess slick rock would be an option (but forgot about the few sandy spots) to get my pedaling fix?

After that...thinking heading to St. George....

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    HOW ABOUT NOW? Is the snow melted off most of Slickrock and Amasa?
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Any up dates as we go into the new year..

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    looking out my hotel window - half inch of snow at 10:00 AM on Christmas in town. Will ride Amasa Back I think. Here for a week. Email if want to ride. I'm in decent shape and love technical.... [email protected]

mtbr member
    Rode Sovereign and Amasa Monday/Tuesday. Both were in good shape. A string of warm days could make it a muddy mess though. It was snowpacked/frozen on the dirt and dry on the rocks. Go get some now.
    Yield to downhill

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    "What would you say you do here?"

I ride my mountain bike.... thanks for the tip - rode Amasa Tuesday also - all the way until I couldn't go any further - did see one other set of tracks - are you the one who I met at trailhead who went to the powerlines? I'm here through at least 12/30, possibly until 1/1/08.

Not sure where I'm going today. If you want to ride with me, email: [email protected] -- this is my first time here. Rode Slickrock Trail (plus practice) Sunday and again on Monday - found it most excellent of course, not too technical for my skill level.

Bob

mtbr member
    Yeah that was me you met at the trailhead if you are the guy driving the Prius. I was on the blue Transition.

Back in Denver now. Have fun!
    Yield to downhill

mtbr member
    please melt snow! Moab will prob be the first thing to dry out, typically 3-4 weeks ahead of Fruita. But it depends on the weather.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Rode Amasaback yesterday...no snow. It was a great way to bring in the new year!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Left 1/1/07 after riding Sovereign -- very cold 10 days of riding, but the snow wasn't a problem at all except the day after the last snow on Finns & Things was a bit too deep in parts & bitter cold that day.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Hmmm... wet sand might be the ONLY thing that would prompt me to ride Fins N Things again...

mtbr member
    any recent updates? A friend who lives in Moab told me a couple weeks back that Slickrock, Amasa Back and parts of Sovereign were mostly dry.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Three days ago there was snow on the north sides of the hills on slickrock... ranging from patches to drifts. Snow isn't deep enough to hinder riding but could prove hazardous in exposed areas or off-camber sections. Lots of guys might go for it... but I probably wouldn't.

Shallow snow in shady spots everywhere. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=373538

Members who have read this thread: 0