Moab Condition as of now?? 2/11/2014- Mtbr.com
    a dad
    Jan 2004

Moab Condition as of now?? 2/11/2014

any updates on the trails.. thanks.
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    I rode the North end of Klondike Bluffs system last Thursday. There was snow on about 20 percent of the trails (Alaska, Klondike, Mega Steps and EKG). The rest was very soft. Not much mud, but the sand was damp. It was slow going compared to normal.

Desert Seeker
    Amasa Back & Captain Ahab are riding great. Rockstacker was a bit sloppy at the drop in the other day, but should be pretty good by now. Not sure about Jackson's Trail as it is more shaded. Slickrock Trail is clear; a bit of sand on the rock. My son & I just rode Poison Spider to the Portal today. While the part of the Portal on the cliff face was a bit soft in places, it was fine (no tire ruts) - lower Portal is totally dry. Bartlett Wash slickrock is also fine to ride.

That's about all I know of directly. Please check with shops (or someone else may chime in) regarding the status of the Bull Run (Mag 7), Brands Trails, Sovereign or Pipe Dream and avoid if soft/muddy.

pedlr
    the local imba chapter is starting to post conditions. check here
    moabmba.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    2-14-2014 update from moabmba site:

The Good:

Amasa Back area is great right now. Including Captain Ahab, Pothole, and Rockstacker. We would recommend staying away from Jackson Trail for another week or so.

Mag 7 central trails are in great shape. A little soft but mud free. The upper section, Bull Run has patches of mud but nothing to shy from. The lower Gemini Bridges Road is still messy so drive in from the top and park at the Bull Run trail head, or drive down to the Arths/Great Escape trail heads and out and back trails from there.

Slickrock is free of snow and ice.

Poison Spider Mesa is snow and mud free. May be a little soft and sandy but its the best time of year to ride this trail because its not overrun by OHV traffic. Out and back or go down the Portal trail.

Sovereign Trail out and back only. NO Salt Wash trail.

The Bad:

Salt Wash (Sovereign Trail system)

Klondike Bluffs still has some mud on north slopes. EKG and Dinoflow are ok and the main Klondike jeep road are clear however Megasteps and Alaska still have some muck . Please avoid these trails for this Presidents day weekend.

PipeDream trail. Its deep mud!

Porcupine Rim is still in snow and no good.

BAR M! this area still has patches of mud and is not recommended.

Konzo. Mucky mucky destroy your bike!

Desert Seeker
    Update: It was 70 degrees and windy here yesterday. Pipe Dream is riding great. Jackson's Trail is also riding great. Bar M is dry. Not sure about some of the others listed under "bad" but Sovereign area should be much improved. As always, check with a bike shop first for any questionable areas.

mtbr member
    Rode Amasa/Cliffhanger/Ahab 2/17 superb conditions and weather! 3-4 inches to cross in the creek, not too crowded for a semi-observed federal holiday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    How about another update. And magic 8 ball for two weeks from now. How high up porcupine rim trail ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I want to ride there this coming weekend, but without an update won't risk the time/money......

JGL
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    2/28 rode Klondike area trails - trails were perfect
    3/1 rode Mag 7 area trails - a few puddles but otherwise perfect

Current forecast looks clear and warm this week.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    UPS starting at the campground overlook, just above cattle guard is running all the way to the river. Trail is dry. Road to campground off Sand Flats is a bit muddy. But don't be a puss. LPS entry is a total go. Snotch is icy and dangerous, so be careful. It will be a while for Kokopelli to dry up so do not bother going higher, still snow all over the place.

The desert riding is dry . . . what are you waiting for . . . a personal invitation?

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    While I'm waiting for a personal invitation to ride...any updates on LPS and UPS conditions? There's rumors of snow/mud on LPS.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I don't know anyone there, and the last update on Moab Mountain Bike Association was 2-3 weeks ago. I don't want to drive 4 hours each way to wind up with mud, I have plenty of that here.

Desert Seeker
    From the Porcupine Shuttle FB page: "We are shuttling as far as Lazy mans for Porcupine Rim, and Mag. 7 through the weekend!" Looks like it was posted around 10 AM on 3/7. We did get some rain here last night and this morning - probably some snow up higher. Desert riding will be good to go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Anyone have condition updates for Kokopelli trail up high? I am wanting to try it first week of April.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    No one will know the conditions of Kokopelli until the first week of April. Right now certainly a mud fest.