Moab camping tips- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Moab camping tips

Anyone here camp in Moab? I'm taking my 35' fifth wheel and I hate RV parks, but if it's busy I'd hate to have a hard time finding a place to crash. Any suggestions for dispersed camping or one of the BLM Campgrounds?

mtbr member
    Depends on the time of year. Your 5th wheel size may limit you a bit, there's not a lot of easy access dispersed camping that isn't basically just a dusty road pullout shared with other large rigs and 4 wheel vehicles zipping around.

Moab is a total circus as far as crowds go during the entire year with the exception of winter. It's hard to describe how much of a shit show the area is now, but the riding is so good that it is worth it. The best advice I have is to never go down for the weekend as you may not find a spot during prime months. You need to show up earlier in the week to get your spot. For BLM campgrounds, I prefer to be up near Dead Horse off of highway 313. It's further away from Moab and less crowded.

I would probably just try for a BLM campground and use the trip to scout out dispersed camping that would be possible for your 5th wheel. It's hard to say where you could pull it and all the easy access spots are usually full of people.

mtbr member
    Ill be out there for 4 days between 11th-14th. Never been.
    Any advise as far as tent/car camping?
    I guess some of the above applies.

Dont want to derail this thread but since some of these forums dont get much responses, thought i jump in here.

I found this link below. Very informative as far as BLM camping is concerned.

https://www.discovermoab.com/blm-campgrounds/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    You can get a 5th Wheel into the state-owned dispersed camping area off of Highway 191 and Willow Springs road about 10 miles north of town, and it is free camping. However, it is very crowded this time of year, and that area is where the UTV/ATV/dirt bike/Jeep crowd will be, so expect noise. I wouldn't camp in a tent out there because of the risk of some fool doing a donut and hitting a tent.

Other than that, you are going to have a tough time. Most of the spots are going to be full, and most can't take a 35' rig anyway. Some of the spots down at Ken's Lake would fit your rig, but you have to pay $20 a night and all you get for your $20 is a picnic table, a grill and a pit toilet nearby. Same applies to the Sand Flats area, some spots are pretty nice and you would fit, but you have to pay and there are no services.

If you are going any time in the next five weeks, it will be MEGA crowded. Good luck.

https://thedyrt.com/camping/utah/wil...rail-dispersed

https://www.blm.gov/visit/ken%27s-lake

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LaloKera View Post

Dont want to derail this thread but since some of these forums dont get much responses, thought i jump in here.

Don't expect to show up Thursday night through Sunday afternoon and be able to find a camp spot. Mid-October is *the* busiest time of year for camping in Moab.

There are a lot of great places to camp, and a *ton* of people competing for them.

The least known are the lettered campgrounds at "The Ledges" out on Kane Creek Road, a couple of those campgrounds are kind of new and people don't know about them. On the way out there, you can check Moonflower and King's Bottom, which are nicer but always full.

You are just going to have to get lucky, or camp far from town. You are showing up on Friday of one of the busiest weekends of the year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Don't expect to show up Thursday night through Sunday afternoon and be able to find a camp spot. Mid-October is *the* busiest time of year for camping in Moab.

There are a lot of great places to camp, and a *ton* of people competing for them.

The least known are the lettered campgrounds at "The Ledges" out on Kane Creek Road, a couple of those campgrounds are kind of new and people don't know about them. On the way out there, you can check Moonflower and King's Bottom, which are nicer but always full.

You are just going to have to get lucky, or camp far from town. You are showing up on Friday of one of the busiest weekends of the year.
    Far away from town? How far we talking about? Any suggestions?
    I can always postpone until 18th or 25th but really want to hit Burro Pass.
    So far, thw weather is holding up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I won't be showing up on Friday either way. I've been to Moab before, but I stayed in an RV park when I was there. I don't think my size is really a limiting factor as much as people think; I had a truck camper before this and eventually the road is too rough for either one. I'm okay with further from town as I can unhitch and take the truck.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I cruised through Moab on my way to Fruita earlier this year and it looked surprisingly empty on a Thursday, but perhaps I have selective memory. I know as the year winds down and the high altitude stuff becomes off limits, I know it's going to be harder to find a spot. But the reason I'm going there and not to someplace warmer is because I can go to those places when it is dead cold at higher altitudes...and I assume everyone else is doing the same this late in the year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Postponing isn't going to help, October is now *the* busiest camping month in Moab.

The Ledges are 10-12 miles from downtown, about five of that is paved.

Ken's Lake is OK in a tent, nine miles south of downtown, eight of that is paved.

The camping north of town starts at about twelve miles out and goes out to 30 miles.

Other than that, when you can't get there until Friday, it is all about getting lucky. The problem is that there is no way to know if a campsite has open spots or not without driving to it. Moab has shut down almost all of the dispersed camping so the days of pulling off the road and finding a spot are gone, you have to be in an approved site until you are at least 20 miles away.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Postponing isn't going to help, October is now *the* busiest camping month in Moab.

The Ledges are 10-12 miles from downtown, about five of that is paved.

Ken's Lake is OK in a tent, nine miles south of downtown, eight of that is paved.

The camping north of town starts at about twelve miles out and goes out to 30 miles.

Other than that, when you can't get there until Friday, it is all about getting lucky. The problem is that there is no way to know if a campsite has open spots or not without driving to it. Moab has shut down almost all of the dispersed camping so the days of pulling off the road and finding a spot are gone, you have to be in an approved site until you are at least 20 miles away.
    20 miles is nothing, who cares? Sure beats being right next to your neighbor.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

I really like the campgrounds up on Sandflats road (specifically Juniper). You'll have to pay a camping fee. No showers, only vault toilets. Great view, but can get windy.

I've only gone there in April, June (2x), and August, so not sure if October will be filled up.

slow
    Unless you plan to self shuttle TWE, you should check into shuttle availability. 2 weeks ago friends said the shuttles for Saturday the 12th were nearly sold out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Unless you plan to self shuttle TWE, you should check into shuttle availability. 2 weeks ago friends said the shuttles for Saturday the 12th were nearly sold out.
    I keep checking the shuttles and their online reservation system seems to indicate spota still open. Am trying to reserve this week once i have the dates set.

Camping is still in question though.
    I could do 20 miles away i guess.
    Is only 20min drive to town.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I keep checking the shuttles and their online reservation system seems to indicate spota still open. Am trying to reserve this week once i have the dates set.

Camping is still in question though.
    I could do 20 miles away i guess.
    Is only 20min drive to town.

If you don't mind being next to other people, the Ledges aren't that bad, and Amasa Back/Ahab are between the campground and town.

If you can deal with festival style camping in a big field with drunk people, there is a commercial campground right at the end of the pavement on Kane Creek road, about three miles from town. Google Kane Creek Campground. Read the reviews.

There is a weird little commercial campground right at the bottom of Gemini Bridges that has about 25 spots. It was $20 a night last time I went by there, and the camp spots were very tiny. Probably not fun in a tent, the highway is only about 150 feet away.

mtbr member
    Anybody know how long of a trailer can make it through the switchbacks down to Amasa?

I'll be in Moab the 12th through the 19th for my annual friend meet up going on many many years now. A guy I haven't seen in ages has a 24' trailer and wondering if he can make down to the camp spots out past Amasa Back?
    Thanks
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    24' will be fine down the switchbacks. He'll have to take the entire road, but there isn't a lot of traffic out there. He might rub the back bumper going down/up the washes, depending on how the trailer pulls. Not all of the campsites would be great for a trailer, but some of them are fine.

You are might have a tough time finding a spot on Saturday though. By Sunday spots will open up.

mtbr member
    Thanks honkinunit. I've got some spots out there I like. He won't be down there until Monday. Always a crap shoot on availability for sure
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Also please note - if you are tent/car camping on dispersed BLM land, you MUST have a portable toilet system of some sort.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Also please note - if you are tent/car camping on dispersed BLM land, you MUST have a portable toilet system of some sort.
    A bucket?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    A bucket?

I believe that to be sufficient - as, I think, wag bags are as well.

https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/fi...al%20pages.pdf

Whatever you use, just make SURE to pack out your poop.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    I believe that to be sufficient - as, I think, wag bags are as well.

https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/fi...al%20pages.pdf

Whatever you use, just make SURE to pack out your poop.
    I look at that map and wonder how many people have driven over 100 miles roundtrip out of their way thinking the Canyon Rims road (labeled "Needles Overlook Road" on the map) connects back to Moab to the north. You have to look really closely on the map to see the tiny gap between the north end of it, and the dashed line that is Hurrah Pass. That tiny gap is a cliff several hundred feet high. If you go all the way to the north end thinking you can get to, say, the Ledge campground, you are going to be very surprised.

There is some great camping down in the Canyon Rims area, but it is a long haul back to Moab.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I look at that map and wonder how many people have driven over 100 miles roundtrip out of their way thinking the Canyon Rims road (labeled "Needles Overlook Road" on the map) connects back to Moab to the north. You have to look really closely on the map to see the tiny gap between the north end of it, and the dashed line that is Hurrah Pass. That tiny gap is a cliff several hundred feet high. If you go all the way to the north end thinking you can get to, say, the Ledge campground, you are going to be very surprised.
    That would be lol-worthy, for sure.