Moab Camping Recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Moab Camping Recommendations

My friends and I are making the trip from Ithaca, NY to Moab this May. We'll be in Moab 5/13 - 5/17 and then Fruita 5/17 - 5/25. We'll be tent camping. We're looking at 4 campgrounds in Moab:

Up The Creek Campground: http://www.moabupthecreek.com/rates_reserv.htm
    Moab KOA: http://www.moabkoa.com/
    Moab Rim RV Campark: http://www.moab-utah.com/moabrim/campark.html
    Canyonlands Campground: http://www.canyonlandsrv.com/index.html

I've searched out as much info as I can get from the web on all 4 campgrounds. I like Up The Creek Campground because its tent only. No offense to you RV folks, but wed prefer not to camp in a parking lot. Unfortunately, Up The Creek does NOT have laundry facilities (gotta wash those riding clothes regularly!) The Moab KOA looks like a kookie kutter kampground, but it has good amenities and sites devoted specifically to tents. Moab Rim RV Campark looks really good. Anyone ever stayed there? The tent sites at Canyonlands also look good

What's the scoop? Anyone got any personal insight they'd like to share? Recommendations?

mtbr member
    I've tented in a few Moab comercial campgrounds and like the Portal RV park the best of the ones I've tried. Yes, RVs, but no generators are allowed, and Portal RV may have the only grass field for tents in town. Lots of room.

https://www.portalrvresort.com/index.html

Singletrack Slacker
    Check out Moab Valley RV, tent sites are gravel based with awnings over them. They have a pool, hot tub, showers and laundry. We have stayed there a few times. Check out there little cabins, we got one for four people, 1queen size bed and a set of bunk beds with ac, heat, fridge, tv, covered porch, and grill for 50 bucks a night, pretty cheap split four ways.

i drink shower water
    state campgrounds for the win! right on the colorado, 5 bucks night ,you cant beat it.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    For sure! You don't want to have a bunch of fools up in your grill the whole time, do you? The sites out Kane Creek Rd. are sweet and much more private. Sandflats is crowded, but nothing like a KOA.

Although if you show up on a Friday, you might be SOL.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by hab1b
    state campgrounds for the win! right on the colorado, 5 bucks night ,you cant beat it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Up The Creek

The laundromat is about 900 feet from Up The Creek. Literally, you are closer to the laundry there than at some commercial campgrounds with their own facilities. You can walk (or ride) right down the bike path and there you are.

Up The Creek is pretty cool, it is basically someone's backyard. Much better for tents than normal commercial places. Huge cottonwood trees. No contest.

mtbr member
    If you were to stay at the KOA, I would suggest the cabins. Pretty cheap, a bed, a porch with a swing, picnic table, and access to very clean bathrooms. The tent camping there seems less than ideal. Then again if I am tent camping, it's in the backcountry.

Have fun! You can't go wrong. Hopefully you won't be spending much time at your tent anyways, you'll be out exploring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm not sure how hot early may is in moab, but I know I was there in early June last summer and it was a solid 100 out mid day, so you want to be off trail by noon if it's that hot, and it does not cool down till after the sun goes down. We were there in early august the year before and it was a solid 110 in town by 1pm. Most of the tenting sites I've seen in town are not very nice, and anywhere in town is going to be noisy.

So if it's going to be really hot I'd recommend a cabin with AC, they go pretty cheap, 4 guys for $50 is pretty cheap, when I was there a single person was like $35. It makes it very nice to be able to get out of the heat, esp. at night to recover for multiple day rides. We've also rented a condo down there I think it might have been cottonwood condos, it was pretty cheap split three ways for a week, and it was a really nice condo in town. Normally if the weather is cooler we always stay in sandflats campground.

There are laundry places in town so that's not a huge deal either. Showers I think are $2 at the local hostel so there are other places to get those things if needed.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all of the input. I opted for Up The Creek. It's very close to town and will let us use our bikes for local transportation if we want to split up (3 guys/1 car). All of the BLM and National Park camping sounds great, but I went for the assurance of a reservation and the convenience of a shower (sorry to all the water-conservation types out there).

See you on the trails!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Good Choice

You don't even need your bikes - the grocery store, restaurants, laundry, liquor store and movie theater are all within a 5 minute walk.

Cycling, FTW!!

Anybody got an update for 3/11?

I'm headed out today or tomorrow for a few days of riding. I'm just curious to see how busy its been in Moab lately. Also, does anybody know how busy all the good camping spots near town have been?
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Just got back. Tons of camping everywhere, not many people at all on the trails. Kind of odd really, but we weren't complaining.

JMH

Members who have read this thread: 0