mtbr member
    May 2012

Moab Camping help

Pretty overwhelmed by the number of BLM sites that are in and around Moab and by how early they fill up. We have a long drive and will be planning to overnight in Walmart lot in Price on Sunday night so we can arrive early on Monday morning (4/24). Was hoping for proximity...but maybe we will have to adjust. We are towing a 20ft trailer. Would like decent spot as we don't spend our full days riding. Weather is looking cooler next week, wouldn't want to stay somewhere too high that the temp would get below 65f during daytime. Okay to drive to ride, preferably options within 20-30 mins. Will be hanging around for a week. Any advice on choices? We are happy to dry camp as well although a bit concerned with no toilet and using up all our water in trailer for flushing. We have dry camped for 5 days max, this will be 7, hence the concern.
    Thanks for any help

Moderator Moderator
    BLM sites mostly won't have water. Do you want proximity to town? Proximity to some specific trail system? The trailer is going to make a lot of areas tough to access, so IMO you might want to consider some developed/pay camping rather than BLM. That will solve your water problem too.

-Walt

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks Walt. Don't actually need water, just a pit toilet to cut down on water consumption. Proximity to trails probably most important, but getting a site is the most important. Our trailer is high clearance, we can take on fairly rough roads. Happy to pay the $15/night that is most developed BLM it looks like. At this point considering either Horsethief or up the 128 (past the first two sites). Mostly worried about the weather at the height of Horsethief, also maybe it doesn't have the views that we would hope for??

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    I think Horsethief would be your best bet. There are also a few sites at Big Mesa but it gets more wind. Both would have views although I'm not sure if Big Mesa has a toilet. From Horsethief you can access three different trail systems without driving anywhere and the trails at Dead Horse point are a short drive away.
    I know Horsethief fills up but I think if you got in early you'd be okay. The campsites out the river fill up very quickly and I would simply skip those. If you got skunked at Horsethief there is a lot of open space camping nearby.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    thanks Sam313, this was actually my main thinking. There is really only one day so far calling for cooler weather, sounds like the perfect day for a porcupine rim!

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I'm "camping", parking my van overnight, on Dalton Wells Road. I use the toilet at Brand Trails. Many trailers there at times but less crowded than Willow Springs, which has a lot of trailers. Almost combat for BLM campsites during the high seasons so I don't even try.

I also see rigs with trailers parked overnight at the staging areas for Gemini Bridges Road across from Brand Trails. No toilet out there but short ride / drive to the Brand Trails toilet.

I'm not sure how you could avoid great views around Moab :-)

With a corporate owner of many of the local RV parks now Slickrock Campground has the best rates on the north end of town. There are several RV parks south of town that have views but little or no shade. Slickrock has the best shade.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

Moderator Moderator
    The undeveloped camping out at N. Klondike is nice (IMO) and right at the trailhead for all the Klondike/Sovereign stuff that borders Arches (lot of trail). The road isn't bad, and there are 2 pit toilets. Nice views (IMO) of the LaSals too.

Best of all there are usually very few people camping there in my experience.

-Walt

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    The undeveloped camping out at N. Klondike is nice (IMO) and right at the trailhead for all the Klondike/Sovereign stuff that borders Arches (lot of trail). The road isn't bad, and there are 2 pit toilets. Nice views (IMO) of the LaSals too.

Best of all there are usually very few people camping there in my experience.

-Walt
    Unless it rains, and not all that much. Then the N Klondike access road is mud hell. If you can depend on dry weather than sure, very nice and a pit toilet at the TH.

Other roads such as Dalton Wells and Willow Springs cross sandy washes that firm up after the water goes down. Most rains just soak into the sand and don't flow in the washes. Watch for tropical storms out of Mexico during the summer and fall.

There is also open camping south of the airport off Mill Canyon and Blue Hills trails. You have to be a couple miles off the highway. No toilets that I'm aware of.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks everyone, we are coming this weekend, so not to worry about summer rains. I think we will stick to a designated site this time, just because of length of time. however the Klondike area is possible, except for chance of rain in the middle of the week. How long does the mud last? I have just been recommended to go to Ken's Lake, although it doesn't look like there are any trails right there, but I sure like the idea of a lake! Any thoughts on this vs. Horsethief? Especially with regards to getting a site in the morning?

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    The muddy road into N Klondike can last a few days with normal rain. And don't try to drive around it! I've seen vehicles buried to the axles out there when they thought the mud was only in the road. Sand is one thing, ancient mudstone sediment is another.

I don't know much about Ken's Lake but it is rather small and the views should be good. I've only driven near it. A bit of a drive to the trails. Spanish Valley is pretty quiet though, if that is what you would like. Not the hordes of moto, etc that we get north of Moab.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    There are not many sites at Ken's lake. Ken's lake is not in my mind a lake, it's a man-made reservoir and gets a lot of people during the day so it can be noisy. Not much shade out there or Klondike/ Dalton/ Willow Springs.