Moab. bringing newbie questions and swimming holes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Moab. bringing newbie questions and swimming holes?

Hi all,

The wife and I are bringing my sister and her husband to Moab in October. This will be my fourth trip out there and I'm familiar with our regular group's rides (Porc rim, race loop, etc)

I'm looking for some rides that I can bring a couple of "average" riders on. My wife can hammer with the best of them, but my sister and brother-in-law have only been riding a couple of years, and have varying degrees of technical skill. Any suggestions for rides that
    A. have nice scenery
    B. not too technical
    C. not more than say 2-3 hours of riding (gawking time excluded)

Seeing as this trip won't be just about riding, I'd also be interested in hikes that feature swimming holes. It's tough to find this kind of info (I can assume why) . Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker
    Hi all,

The wife and I are bringing my sister and her husband to Moab in October. This will be my fourth trip out there and I'm familiar with our regular group's rides (Porc rim, race loop, etc)

I'm looking for some rides that I can bring a couple of "average" riders on. My wife can hammer with the best of them, but my sister and brother-in-law have only been riding a couple of years, and have varying degrees of technical skill. Any suggestions for rides that
    A. have nice scenery
    B. not too technical

Seeing as this trip won't be just about riding, I'd also be interested in hikes that feature swimming holes. It's tough to find this kind of info (I can assume why) . Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    I'm heading out to Moab on the 31st of this month. Unfortunately I can't provide you with any riding recommendations, but I do know that we are planning on doing at least a day or two of hiking in Arches. I know they have some nice, short hikes that bring you to some incredible scenery there.

Since you've been there before, do you have any recommendations on places to eat/drink? Other sites around town that are worthwhile?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Advice

The swimming hole hike is easy. Head south from Dave's Corner Market like you are going to Slickrock. At the stop sign, go right to stay on Millcreek instead of going left up the hill. About 3/4 mile down on the left, turn on Powerhouse Lane. Go about a mile to the end and park. Hike along the creek until you get to the confluence of the two forks. Go left and continue about 1/2 mile. There is a big pool there with cliffs you can jump FEET FIRST off of. Do not dive. The water is not that deep, but it is a great place to swim.

But I have to tell you, it will be too cold to swim in October unless you are a polar bear.

Easy rides: Hurrah Pass. Klondike Bluffs. Monitor and Merrimac. The Bar-M/Courthouse Wash loop. Gemini Bridges. Park at Potato Bottom and ride along White Rim. Park where the pavement ends on Potash and ride along the Thelma and Louise cliff area into Canyonlands. There are plenty of easy rides.

Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker
    Hi all,

A. have nice scenery
    B. not too technical

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by honkinunit; 08-04-2005 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Speling(sp)

Jul 2005
    Some scenic, easier rides:

Courthouse Loop: Takes you into Arches; finishes on the road. Awesome!

Hurrah Pass: a little long, but non-technical, and a hoot of a gradual descent all the way back.

Klondike Bluffs: Fairly short, moderate difficulty due to the climb, spectacular view of Arches atthe end. Dinosaur tracks along the way.

Gemini Bridges: Go from the bottom up, turn around at the bridge. Lots of people, gradual but steady climbing on the way out.

mtbr member
    Amasa back would be good

Members who have read this thread: 0