Moab,better get a GPS ??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Moab,better get a GPS ??

Ok,after my full MTB week in California( Socal or Norcal still to decide) in october I would love to dedicate another full week of Moab biking.
    Would you suggest to invest in a good GPS ?? I'm not planning to have a guide or ride in a group as much as I would do in Cali,I just want to sip the desert all for my self .

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Italy
    Roadie DNA,mtbike curious.

mtbr member
    Just pick up a map from one of the bike shops in town.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Get a map and plenty of water (the most overlooked necessity in Moab)! Most Moab trails are pretty well worn in and even if you're riding alone you won't be riding alone. GPS is a safe route, but most people I know with GPS don't spend enough time LOOKING UP and enjoying the trail at hand.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    you don't need a gps at Moab, a decent map is plenty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I agree that you don't need a GPS.

However I rarely ride unknown areas without mine. I also disagree that most trails in moab are pretty easy to navigate with just a map. My experience has been that most of the maps in moab don't show all or even most of the forks, and there are alot of sections of trail that are not on the map. I don't spend much time looking down at my GPS but I actually enjoy riding in areas I am not familiar with more when I have the certainty of GPS telling me that I made the right turn. I also like being able to easily see my position relitive to the car and highways so I can determine a quick way back if I were to run out of water.

I think a gps will be a good investment if you spend the time to learn how to work it and then software associated with it. Knowing where to look to download gpx files of rides that you would like to do and get them into your unit takes a little time, but once you are good at it it makes navigating an unknown trail very easy. A little glance down at my GPS allows me to spend more time enjoying riding and less time lost and asking for directions.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    My wife says "you're a pu$$y if you need a gps to ride a mtb. Go back to the city". I wouldn't normally type this for her but I'm hoping to get some tonight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tell your wife there is no need for a GPS

When all you ride is paved bike paths and never get further then 100 yards from the car.

PM me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T
    My wife says "you're a pu$$y if you need a gps to ride a mtb. Go back to the city". I wouldn't normally type this for her but I'm hoping to get some tonight.
    LOL..tell wife she's right. I'm pretty new to the MTB world but I really could not see myself loosing all the beauty around me for a goddam lcd display. I'll take the risk,knowing my limits anyway
    Roadie DNA,mtbike curious.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm confused.

How does a 3 inch LCD screen keep you from seeing the beauty around you?

PM me

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If you're gonna ride something like Gold Bar you'd want somebody with you who's ridden it before. Maybe some others (Rockstacker?). But for the majority of Moab you don't need GPS. I've been to Moab 40 times and I don't even own any GPS. There's enough riding that you don't have to go nuts your first time trying out some sketchy unmarked unpopulated trail.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Members who have read this thread: 0