Moab - Behind the Rocks/Pritchett, Hazard, Portal- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Moab - Behind the Rocks/Pritchett, Hazard, Portal

I'll be there for a week starting Saturday. I've been doing a lot of reading/research but there's no substitute for local knowledge. I'm going with a skilled group and we have two cars. I'd like to do more technical rides one way with more down than up. However, we're not afraid to climb either.

Question on Behind the Rocks/Pritchett. How is the routefinding? I have a decent printed guide and a good map with topo. Once we get to Pritchett it looks pretty easy but the first part maybe a little tricky.

On Hazard - anyone know how high we can get right now? I'm sure Burro Pass is still under snow but can we get to Hazard at 9,500 feet? Ride up from there then all da way down?

Is Portal just a macho stupid thing or is it actually a fun, technical downhill? We've ridden the North Shore trails and they're fun fun fun but there's little fear of dying on them. To get to Portal is Poison Spider the best way? Gold Rim looks to have great views. Is it as fun a trail? Is Golden Spike worth beating yourself on?

Any similar routes I'm missing here? We will probably get to Sovereign, Slickrock, maybe Amasa, and Bartlett Wash as well.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Monkeyshines _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 2014 Trance, 2013 V10, 2000 Schwinn Homegrown

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    Hazard is already doubtful, and it's entirely possible it'll snow up high, so I'd say you should count on starting at Koko or even lower if it's wet.

The "deadly" exposed section of Portal is about 100 yards long. Besides that, it's just a fun, technical ride, especially when you move off the cliff and start heading towards the road.

Also, Amasa is a must, not a maybe...IMO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It is a ***** between the end of behind the rocks and pritchett. Definitely have good maps and follow them, I have gotten lost out there a few times. Gorgeous country and alwys eventually found my way though... I would probably run it from south of town into pritchett, better way, funner terrain, some decent little techy sections. Major jeep trail of course...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Rode Hazzard last weekend and it was completely melted out, only two or three tiny stream crossings. Shouldn't have any problems getting that far as long as there haven't been any recent storms.

JMH

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by miklorsmith

Question on Behind the Rocks/Pritchett. How is the routefinding? I have a decent printed guide and a good map with topo. Once we get to Pritchett it looks pretty easy but the first part maybe a little tricky.
    Route finding is pretty straight forward, never had issues back there
    Quote Originally Posted by miklorsmith
    Is Portal just a macho stupid thing or is it actually a fun, technical downhill? We've ridden the North Shore trails and they're fun fun fun but there's little fear of dying on them. To get to Portal is Poison Spider the best way? Gold Rim looks to have great views. Is it as fun a trail? Is Golden Spike worth beating yourself on?
    Don't really care for Portal, just not my thing. Seems easy to avoid the exposed zones as they are marked. LOVE Gold Bar and Spike. I do them in a loop with Poison Spider and some road.

Members who have read this thread: 0