Moab for beginner- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Moab for beginner

My 14 year old son and I are planning out first trip to Moab in about 2 weeks. He is at a beginner level on the bike and I would like to take him on a ride that be fun and not a miserable experience. He is in good physical condition from other sports activities, but Im not sure how his endurance would be for extended rides. We will be on Hardtail XC bikes. Any tips on trails or links to informative websites would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Who's that guy?
    Klondike Bluffs is good for beginners. A bit of climbing, a wee bit of slickrock, some great views. Its an out and back so you can turn back whenever you have had enough.

The practice loop on slickrock is good too.

Gemini bridges has some neat sections. Kind of long ride if you do the whole thing with a brutal climb at the end. Or you can start at the top and just do an out and back.

Portal trail is good for beginners to.

...just kidding. Portal trail is NOT for beginners.

The local shops will be more than happy to point the way.

Some good resources...

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com
    Just scroll on the left of the page to look for Moab trails.

And some local info...
    http://www.moab-utah.com

Have fun!

Dave

Slow and steady gets you...7th place.

"Hey! Where is everybody going??"

mtbr member
    I've ridden Gemini bridges as a shuttle with my 9 y.o. on a cold and windy day.
    Your son can handle it, not the best ride in Moab, but senic and fun none-the-less.
    Slickrock is also possible, but try the pratice loop first and see. It may be a long day, but one I would think he would enjoy.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Aug 2004
    Thanks for starting this thread Boise_peddaler! I too am trying to plan a trip to Moab (driving in from Caldwell/Boise) and only have two days to ride down there and am looking for not-so-hardcore stuff. I'll have to bookmark this particular thread.

Thanks

Nick

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkan
    And some local info...
    http://www.moab-utah.com
    What are your opinions on this campground?:
    http://www.moab-utah.com/slickrock/campground.html

What are your recommendations for budget hotels (less than $50/night)?

Thanks

Nick

alien exchange student

My 2

Howdy, the best Moab beginner rides are Klondike Bluffs, Bar M Loop, Dalton Wells, and Gemini Bridges. The Slickrock Practice Loop is not for beginners. It is just as tough as the main trail, just shorter. Go there for a hike but don't take a child who is new to riding unless you really want to scare them (or they tear up the other trails and are obviously okay). If he does well, consider Amasa Back (it is recently a little easier but still fun and is an out-and-back so you can turn around if it is too much), Bull Canyon, Monitor & Merrimac, Sovereign, or Two Tortoise Rock. If your son can handle a few tough spots, Sovereign is super fun and very scenic.

Slickrock Campground is great. They have a pool and hot-tub. It is just north of town. If you want to be in town, Canyonlands Campground is really close to the grocery store. Up the Creek campground is in town but on a side street.

Let me know if you have any other questions ([email protected]).

Have a blast in Moab!

Mel

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider Mel
    The Slickrock Practice Loop is not for beginners. It is just as tough as the main trail, just shorter. Go there for a hike but don't take a child who is new to riding unless you really want to scare them (or they tear up the other trails and are obviously okay).

Mel
    This is good advice. Practice loop is not easier, just shorter....it can be pretty hairy and dangerous for a beginner. If he's fearless and knows how to get his weight far back on the bike and can climb some short real steep stuff, then ok. There is no way to put a foot down on some of those climbs (too steep)...either you make it or you go over backwards and slide down the rock on your arse....ask me how I know ;-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Great info! I'll have to print this out and take it with me.

Thanks again

Chilling out
    Alternate lodging : near downtown is a little place called Red Valle Homes ... basically they rent trailer homes ... not cost effective for too few people but if you can fill the places appropriately you can get the per-night down to 30-ish a person. That's full facilities, heating/ac, full kitchen, washer/dryer, hot tub available, hoses for bike washing, lockable sheds for bike storage. Nice people. Two blocks from downtown. Good deal.