Moab - Amasa Back- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Moab - Amasa Back

Back on the east coast we just caught wind that Amasa Back has been "improved" to allow for work on the pipeline. Can anyone provide info on this and perhaps pics? Hfly can you help out? Any other work going on to the trails out there?

Thanks for the info.

Bob W.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I too was wondering what the condition of the trail is. From what I hear it was completely grated, basically taking away from any of the challenge of the trail. A group of friends and I are planning on going back to Moab in mid-April, and we were told to skip Amasa Back, that it's pretty much a complete loss. My buddy that told me this figured it was done to make it more accessible for the 4x4 trucks and such. It's too bad too, I've ridden that trail at least a half dozen times, and I used to love it.
    Anyone have any more updated information on it?

mtbr member

Rumor Control Check

Alright...I started hearing the same things - I started getting very edgy.

Amassa Back is pretty much the best trail out there - right?

So I called The Poison Spider bike shop...the rumors are TRUE. According to one of the BSG's (bike store girls) there...they essentially graded the whole damn thing all the way to the pipeline. Unbelievable!

She said it is a VERY different trail now...she said that to the pipeline most anyone can clean it now. She also said that the shop is hoping the Jeep Safari in April will tear it up and leave it a bit more technical than it is now.

What a bummer...unbelievable loss to the soul of mountain biking in Moab. Next thing you know they'll pave Porcupine Rim...
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm heading to Moab this weekend. I'll let you know what I find, and if I remember the camera take a few pictures to post.

The Sentinel

A search of the forum reveals...

Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    thanks did not find that the first time.

Bob W.

FM
    mtbr member
    I'm curious about this too- will be heading to moab in a few weeks.

I had read the previous thread but was skeptical about some of the content. I got the vibe that some people felt the trail was wrecked, while others felt that most of the fun spots were still mostly intact. I guess it could depend on what kind of ride you're looking for. Of course it's a bummer, but how big of a bummer is what we all wonder- is it still worth riding?

Dmccune, I'd appreciate your posting when you get back, especially some pics.

I'm especially curious about the 5'+ drop off at the bend about 1/2 way up the climb...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    FM,
    I hope they did away with that big drop, only because I've never had any luck (or guts) with it. Monday I will provide an update...at least the weather is suppose to be great out there this weekend.

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccune
    Monday I will provide an update...at least the weather is suppose to be great out there this weekend.
    I never thought I'd say this, but I hope some Jeepers tore the hell outa the trail.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Amasa Back has clearly been tamed, but the trail still has some technical riding and is still worth the ride. Everything is rideable for intermediate and above levels, less then that and you'll walking sections. The big drops have been lessened but there are still drops, and depending on the lines you take you can still find big drops.

On the other post on this someone said you could drive a car up the trail now, well that just isn't possible Amasa Back still requires some solid skills to ride. With the Jeep Safari coming up it should be a little more rugged in a few weeks. Bottom line, rideable but techincal and still fun.

FM
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the post!

Quote Originally Posted by dmccune
    Amasa Back has clearly been tamed, but the trail still has some technical riding and is still worth the ride. Everything is rideable for intermediate and above levels, less then that and you'll walking sections. The big drops have been lessened but there are still drops, and depending on the lines you take you can still find big drops.

On the other post on this someone said you could drive a car up the trail now, well that just isn't possible Amasa Back still requires some solid skills to ride. With the Jeep Safari coming up it should be a little more rugged in a few weeks. Bottom line, rideable but techincal and still fun.

gak

Mar 2005

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob W
    Back on the east coast we just caught wind that Amasa Back has been "improved" to allow for work on the pipeline. Can anyone provide info on this and perhaps pics? Hfly can you help out? Any other work going on to the trails out there?

Thanks for the info.

Bob W.
    I just got back from Moab, I road Amasa Sat. and it was great fun. The only thing is you ride over the pipeline 3/4 of the way to the top. No big deal, its only 8 inches around. Come and ride Moab, the weather is great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

This was my first time last Saturday

While I had to walk some sections it was mostly because of poor line choices than too great of obstacles. Challenging but doable for the intermediate, what a blast on the downhill. After we crested the first ridge, our friend explained we weren't there yet, we still had to climb a bit to get to the money shot, it was worth it. But relatively low pucker factor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I frankly only saw one section that had been clearly altered, and it is a short section that used to be very exposed with only a single line along the canyon rim. I only remember it because last year there was no way I was going to ride it and ended up walking it and this year I rode it without problems. It also has a neat step up jump this year. A couple of the big drops were altered a bit, but if you want huge drops and look a little off the main trail line they are easy to find.

Other than that it's still a very long technical climb and probalby the best trail I've rode out there for a combination of long technical climbing and fun downhill.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddM
    I frankly only saw one section that had been clearly altered, and it is a short section that used to be very exposed with only a single line along the canyon rim.
    is that the short downhill on the way up? most of the way up, as i recall.

hooboy, coming back up that is actually pretty scary on a motorcycle. no walking allowed, lol. i was hoping to take some guys up there 2 weeks ago on a ride i was leading, but people were getting tired and we still had to get up pritchett canyon and behind the rocks so we wussed out of amasa back.
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yep that sounds like the one, it's 95% to the pipeline, just a short little 10-15' downhill section that was really exposed on the only line to the left.

Now they recut it so you have a fairly easy line further to the right. I'm sure they probably altered some other stuff but that was the only section that stuck out in my mind from the year before.

Last year we stopped at the pipeline as we were told everything after that was pretty much road but this year we rode further in and there is some nice climbing/decending beyond the pipeline as well so I think it's worth it to continue on, but then again I like the technical climbing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddM
    Last year we stopped at the pipeline as we were told everything after that was pretty much road but this year we rode further in and there is some nice climbing/decending beyond the pipeline as well so I think it's worth it to continue on, but then again I like the technical climbing.
    someone lied to you. if you go all the way up, it's not as technical, but you get all the way to rim and a spectacular view/lunch spot. plus it makes the whole out and back more than 45 minute ride. next time take the singletrack down to the north. right around the pipeline (just past?) take a dirt road over the hill to the north and down. there's a big power line tower or something where the official singletrack takes off. it has a few narrow semi-exposed sections, but it's way more rideable and less scary than the portal trail. (bicycles only, no motorcycles).
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

Jan 2005

amasa back "improved"

i was in moab last week and it was definitly the wrong week to be there, it was really wet freakin wet (rained/snowed pretty much every day) not to mention the jeep safari thing was going on, i don't understand why everyone in a jeep has to be such a jackass. anyways amasa back has definitly been "improved". they took a bulldozer or something and took alot of the fun out of that ride, just so those damn jeeps could get up it. god damn i hate jeeps. but as for the next week or so i think its suposed to be fairly nice out, no rain or anything like that. hopefully you'll have a better time than i did. one final note....amasa back is still worth doing just for the views.

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by drdoom
    they took a bulldozer or something and took alot of the fun out of that ride, just so those damn jeeps could get up it. god damn i hate jeeps.
    They didn't do it for the Jeeps! The Jeepers like the trail as rugged as we do!

Amasa got plowed so they could run full-on dump trucks or some other dam thing up it.

The average off-roader is just as annoyed as we are.

Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    They didn't do it for the Jeeps! The Jeepers like the trail as rugged as we do!

Amasa got plowed so they could run full-on dump trucks or some other dam thing up it.

The average off-roader is just as annoyed as we are.

yeah i heard the that they wanted to work on the pipline up there or something like that but i wanted another reason to hate the jeeps, so i blame the jeeps even if its not the real reason....god damn i hate jeeps

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Good info. Thanks guys. I'm heading down for the first time on the 22nd for a week and Amasa was definately on the list got a guide to take us farther out the way back too. So, that will be fun.

FM, how about a report when you get back for the rest of us NW folk?

Aug 2004
    Amasa is definitely still worth doing, some sections have been filled in (temporarily, I suspect), but the trail itself is so wide that there remain tons of options for those looking for technical lines. The 5' at Super 8 has jeep tracks through the tranny right now, but it was never too fun anyhow. All of the other drops at Super 8 are in better shape than they where last year, and the big step-up that was built is so much fun that I'm sure it's illegal somehow. I was worried too before I saw it, but was pleasantly surprised to find out that there is still plenty of good stuff there.

Just roll it......

Yep, Amasa is still well worth it.

As a matter of fact, we hit it twice while we were there!

As s1ingletrack said, there are still ample lines to be had and the drops at Super 8 are still fun. Josh, sorry I didn't hook up with ya while we were in Moab.....I agree the step up on Amasa is a total frickin' blast - reminds me of Dirt Merchant at Whistler.

In Fruita, we ended up hitting Bookcliffes in Fruita - riding the usual trails there - and had a total blast. Borneo, PM me or FM and we'll talk turkey on different options around Moab and Fruita.

EB

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    In Fruita, we ended up hitting Bookcliffes in Fruita
    Doh! I totally forgot yinz we're gonna be here. Sorry.

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Josh, sorry I didn't hook up with ya while we were in Moab
    No worries - I considered calling your cell while we were out there, but most of the trip was last minute (as far as what we rode) so I figured I'd just wait and see if I ran into some guys with Wash. license plates. Glad to hear you had fun.

Just roll it......

Fruita was great......regardless of where we rode.

Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    No worries - I considered calling your cell while we were out there, but most of the trip was last minute (as far as what we rode) so I figured I'd just wait and see if I ran into some guys with Wash. license plates. Glad to hear you had fun.
    Joel / Josh, no worries, fellas....we had a total blast while we were in Fruita. Zippety doo da was a must-ride for us Fruita newbies anyway. Let me know if you guys make it to the PNW this summer. I'd be happy to show you around our neck of the world and BC (the Shore, Whistler, Squamish, etc.). We're doing a floatplane bike trip in the Chilcotin Mt's in early July, but I'm free the rest of the summer....

Cheers,
    EB