Moab Alert-Loop Road Closed May->Nov- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Moab Alert-Loop Road Closed May->Nov

I just read that the Loop Road into the LaSals out of Moab is scheduled to be closed from early May to late November to replace the bridge over Mill Creek by the turnoff to Oowah Lake. This might cause some headache for people being shuttled up to Burro Pass or Porcupine. If you are being shuttled up to where the Kokopelli Trail meets the Loop Road, and the driver wants to stay on pavement, you'll have to go through Castle Valley. If you are shuttling up to Burro, you'll have to take the route south out of Moab.

This also means no road riding of the entire Loop this summer, and possibly changing around the Moab Century route.

mtbr member
    You can also access LPS/UPS/Hazard/Burro up Sand Flats road.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Burro

Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    You can also access LPS/UPS/Hazard/Burro up Sand Flats road.
    The 'convenient' way to Burro is up Geyser Pass. With the bridge out, you cannot get to Geyser Pass from Sand Flats without going all the way around the north and east side of the LaSals and hitting the Geyser Pass road from the SE side. It would take about two hours that way.

When you come down off of Burro, you end up on the Sand Flats side of the bridge. That is the problem. Your shuttle to the top of Burro can't meet you at the Kokapelli/Loop Road or LPS trailhead for resupply without going all the way back to Moab and back up again.

All the better reason to not shuttle.

And as far as road riding goes, cannot one just walk around the bridge? (Caveat, never been on that stretch of road.)

mtbr member
    When you turn off of the La Sal Loop Road onto Geyser Pass are you below the Millcreek Bridge?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Well..

Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    When you turn off of the La Sal Loop Road onto Geyser Pass are you below the Millcreek Bridge?
    It depends on what you mean by 'below'.

You are before the bridge, but higher in elevation. The bridge is about a mile past the turnoff to Geyser Pass, assuming you are coming up from Moab via the southerly route, past Ken's Lake and the Pack Creek Ranch.

Sep 2004
    I asked the Poison Spider shuttle driver about the impact of the bridge being out. Until the snow melts on Hazard and the mud hardens, the shuttle to Koko will route through Castle Valley. Once Hazard is rideable, the shuttle will drop off at Warner Lake. Warner Lake and Geyser Pass turnoffs are before the bridge and will not be affected.

Sep 2006
    How will this hinder shuttling to porcupine....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Confusion

Quote Originally Posted by Baconman
    I asked the Poison Spider shuttle driver about the impact of the bridge being out. Until the snow melts on Hazard and the mud hardens, the shuttle to Koko will route through Castle Valley. Once Hazard is rideable, the shuttle will drop off at Warner Lake. Warner Lake and Geyser Pass turnoffs are before the bridge and will not be affected.
    Warner Lake and the Geyser Pass turnoff are on opposite sides of the bridge. I don't do commercial shuttles, so I don't know if they ever went all the way to Burro in the first place, but Warner Lake is a good bit down the trail from Burro Pass. Burro Pass is accessed via the Geyser Pass road, which is southwest of the bridge by about a mile. The Warner Lake road which accesses Hazard is about a mile north of the bridge. Now that UPS is closed, the full ride is Burro->Hazard->Kokopelli->A bit of Sand Flats Road->LPS->Porcupine.

There is no impact to Porcupine, UNLESS you are doing the Kokopelli->Sand Flats->LPS->Porc ride and you don't want to lose your fillings on Sand Flats, in which case you now must go down 128 to Castle Valley to he Loop Road, where before you might have chosen to take the Millcreek/Loop Road south out of Moab to the same spot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I just came across this thread

What's the latest on that bridge work on The Loop Road? I'd always assumed that if riders wanted to be shuttled to the beginning of Burro Pass the drive was up the Loop Road south of town, then right on Geyser Pass. So...if it's snowed and Burro is a no-go and the riders are starting at Warner Lake (Hazard) does the bridge out mean the shuttle goes all the way around into Castle Valley, etc? Or would the shuttle go up Sand Flats? This question is in anticipation of the Turner Homer Convention the very end of this month (September).

Or maybe the bridge work is done and these questions didn't need to be asked!
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    What's the latest on that bridge work on The Loop Road? I'd always assumed that if riders wanted to be shuttled to the beginning of Burro Pass the drive was up the Loop Road south of town, then right on Geyser Pass. So...if it's snowed and Burro is a no-go and the riders are starting at Warner Lake (Hazard) does the bridge out mean the shuttle goes all the way around into Castle Valley, etc? Or would the shuttle go up Sand Flats? This question is in anticipation of the Turner Homer Convention the very end of this month (September).

Or maybe the bridge work is done and these questions didn't need to be asked!
    With the bridge out, shuttles up to Warner Lake are via Castle Valley, or Sand Flats. The couple of times I've shuttled it this year I've gone Sand Flats, but that is a heck of a long, rough drive. No way would I do it in a car.

Try Chili Pepper or Poison Spider for status, but the initial schedule had them not finishing until the first week in November. The Moab Century is October 6, and they are altering their route. My guess is that it will still be closed.

Members who have read this thread: 0