moab 7/25 - 7/27- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

moab 7/25 - 7/27

Hey guys,
    I am in boulder colorado for the summer and I figure, being as close as i am to moab, I really have to go there.
    I know now is not the best season as it is really hot but I really can't pass up the chance to go.

Anyway, I am going there on July 27th with a friend of mine here in boulder.
    If anyone will be there that weekend I would love to hook up with some people.

I'll be bringing my six inch travel bike. I've been riding for about 5 years now and have never had trouble keeping up with anyone I've ridden with. The guy coming with me is less experienced but in pretty good physical condition.

I can carry four bikes on the car so if anyone wants to shuttle porcupine or something like that, let me know.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    just wanted to give this a bump.
    We are planning to ride slick rock and bartlet wash on saturday (maybemore depending on if we can stand the heat) and porcupine on sunday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

It's going to be about as hot as here in Boulder (not 100s)

Quote Originally Posted by pedro_sandchez
    just wanted to give this a bump.
    We are planning to ride slick rock and bartlet wash on saturday (maybemore depending on if we can stand the heat) and porcupine on sunday.
    but it's a different kind of heat there. It really sucks the moisture from your body. You need to be guzzling water endlessly NOW, start your rides really early, take a ton of water with you, and just because you might feel all right after your morning epic doesn't mean riding another one in the mid-day sun is a good idea. Start your rides no later than 7 am.

Remember, you can't plan for a mechanical out in the middle of nowhere (especially Porc), rides don't always go as planned, and the heat there (even mid 90s) can be killer. Plan on being in a swimming pool by 2 pm. If you have a mech on Slickrock it's not as bad because you're close to civilization. I've been told by a Moab resident that July is his least favorite month there. It's just lucky for you it's not going to be 107 everyday.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Bored Carp
    I agree with what xcguy said, except, start your rides at 6:00 am. Be off the trail by 11. Porc is awesome, my favorite trail, but it takes longer than you think the first time you do it. An early morning expedition would give you some beautiful light and views. The bottom 3rd gets to be quite oven-y as the day progresses. I suggest doing LPS instead of the traditional Porc start.

You won't like Bartlett on a July afternoon, I promise.

For fun, read the Grand County Search and Rescue blog:
    http://www.gcsar.org/silt/2007/4/silt.htm
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I like riding in Moab all year... but yeah, the middle of summer can be brutal. It is unreal how beautiful it is BEFORE the sun comes over the mountains... after that it's a countdown how long you can stand the oven.

Do it! Be conservative and go short. Enjoy

JMH

mtbr member
    I would stay away from SlickRock (I know you didn't mention this as a ride) as it adds to the heat being out there. Porcupine will be good, cause you get the downhill and that adds wind....lol.

Wish I was there, but I will be riding and climbing in the Fruita Grand Junction area this weekend. Go have fun.
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Got back from moab last night. The trip was amazing and I just wanted to really thank zephyr from chili pepper bike shop for showing us an amazing ride from hazard county trailhead to porcupine rime. Had to be one of the most varried, scenic and of course, amazingly fun rides I've ever been on.

Members who have read this thread: 0