Moab/24 hours of Moab questions- Mtbr.com
    Dr. Pepper drinker

New question here. Moab/24 hours of Moab questions

Some friends and I have been planning a riding trip in Moab for the 15-17th for several months, I didn't realize til today that this is the same weekend as the 24 hours of Moab. Has anyone been in town for that weekend in the past? I'm concerned about the chances for finding someplace to camp/sleep and just curious if we should expect all the trails to be pretty congested. I realize that the event is actually 15 miles outside town but I figure there has to be some spillover into Moab and other trails in the area, if things are going to be too bad we'll probably just hit Fruita instead (not that that's a bad thing).

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

No Problem

If anything, there are fewer people riding on the trails that weekend. The racers crews take up rooms, but they aren't on the trails because they are preparing/racing/recovering. They camp at the race site, so they don't take campsites. That said, you won't be alone on the trails or anywhere else, because Moab is really mobbed this time of year. If you plan on hotelling it, I'd get a reservation ASAP.

Don't worry about camping. As long as you have a porta potti, you can camp on BLM for free if you get far enough away from town to be out of the regulated zones. Dubinky Well road and north, or up in the La Sals, or along Kane Creek, or way out on Sand Flats are some options. Get a porta potti or rent one from Gearheads. Or, just get there as early as possible on Friday and hope you get a closer in campsite. There is a nice new campground out at Ken's Lake that many people don't know about. I saw some people last weekend camping in a really nice spot in the cottonwoods just before the turnoff to the Pack Creek Ranch a few miles past Ken's Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    Some friends and I have been planning a riding trip in Moab for the 15-17th for several months, I didn't realize til today that this is the same weekend as the 24 hours of Moab. Has anyone been in town for that weekend in the past? I'm concerned about the chances for finding someplace to camp/sleep and just curious if we should expect all the trails to be pretty congested. I realize that the event is actually 15 miles outside town but I figure there has to be some spillover into Moab and other trails in the area, if things are going to be too bad we'll probably just hit Fruita instead (not that that's a bad thing).

Mar 2004
    I am going to be in Moab with my girlfriend on the 18th and 19th. Will things be settled down by then? Also, can anyone advise as to where we could rent a full suspension in GREAT condition? .... Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

October is busy

I guess you'd have to define 'settled down'. All the hotels will be full, and there will be plenty of people on the popular trails.

All the shops in Moab rent FS bikes. Cannondale at Chili Pepper, Giant at Slickrock, Rocky Mountain/Trek/Fisher at Poison Spider, Specialized at Rim, Kona and K2 at Moab Cyclery. No mountain bike is in 'great' condition at the end of the season. You just have to look around at all the shops if you are picky, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by upstatemedicrider
    I am going to be in Moab with my girlfriend on the 18th and 19th. Will things be settled down by then? Also, can anyone advise as to where we could rent a full suspension in GREAT condition? .... Thanks