mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Moab - 2 days of riding

Hello, i have 2 days to ride in Moab next week Wed / Thu. Was thinking of doing 2 of the three places listed; Slickrock, Porcupine Rim or the Whole Enchilada. With that being said the one person riding with me is of average ability... Do these trails make sense or would you recommend others that would still provide a great experience?

i believe you need shuttles for both Procupine and enchilada what about Slickrock? Can we drive and park our car there and once the ride is done you end at your vehicle.

Sorry for the silly questions just trying to plan as much as possible with the short time frame and still have a decent experience.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Slickrock has a parking lot and is a loop. It is pretty hard on your legs due to the climbing with lots of traction so that is something to consider.

Formerly of Kent
    You can very easily ride to the top of Porc. That's one of the stages in the Moab Rocks Stage Race.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Le Duke, would you say its more physical toughness than technical?

Formerly of Kent
    It appears you're coming from London. London...England?

The altitude might be hard for you. As will the heat.

Here's what you'd be looking at if you ride from town. 25 miles plus a bit more to get back into town. 4,000ft of climbing/descending.

https://www.trailforks.com/route/201...porcupine-rim/
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The elevation will be tough for sure! We are from Canada...

I'm more worried about technical vs. physical on that run as the person is in good physical shape just not the best technical rider. So i figured Slickrock and maybe porcupine rim.

Is it best to park in the parking lot and do the loop for slick rock and i assume porcupine rim is a shuttle?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hawks View Post

Is it best to park in the parking lot and do the loop for slick rock and i assume porcupine rim is a shuttle?
    Based on all the info you've provided...my answer would be YES to the above question.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I personally would like to do the Whole Enchilada... I've looked at a lot of videos and it seems to me that its technical but not overly and they could walk in areas that they had to..

My question i guess is if that statement is true and i know its tough to answer as who knows how much he would have to hike a bike.... Would you think its worth attempting?

I know its subjective... just looking for people who have ridden and would you take an average ability friend on the trail...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I rode Porcupine Rim a few weeks ago for the umpteenth time, but the first time in two years. I've ridden it dozens of times since 1989.

It has eroded badly in places just in the past two years, and I would not take an "average" rider on it at this point unless they knew enough to walk and had the skills to stop/dismount instantly in some tricky places. There are a lot of surprise drops that didn't exist just a few years ago. Going over the handlebars onto rocks sucks.

It isn't the same trail it was two years ago, five years ago, or 25 years ago.

Slickrock is fine for an average rider. Mag 7 and Navajo Rocks are great intermediate trails. I'm not sure Porcupine Rim is all that intermediate at this point as far as clearing most of the obstacles. Of course, if someone has a good sense of self-preservation and can deal with a lot of mount/dismount action, Porcupine would be fine. Rubber soled shoes help a lot, as they do on Slickrock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Honkinunit thanks for the insights... that's exactly the info i'm looking for... Someone with recent experience...

its always a tough one to balance on these trips... You want to experience it, but, you want everyone to have fun...

Sounds like slickrock is a for sure and the other day is still in the air...

Thanks everyone for your insights so far.

Formerly of Kent
    I would simply state that, due to heavy use, trail work, and erosion, the trails in Moab and the surrounding area are pretty "fluid"; they are constantly changing.

What might appear to be a straight forward drop or turn in a video from 2013 might be completely different today.

Edit: HonkinUnit beat me to it. I feel like Moab changes every time I'm there.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    I agree with Honkinunits advice overall. I would have suggested you look into some of his options listed but I specifically was going off of your posts and the 3 areas listed. If it was me, I would absolutely rather do TWE as well but I didn't advise that due to your friend's average skill level. It's not that the riding is necessarily overly technical as a whole but it's a loonnnnggg ride that tires out even the best riders. Every time I finish TWE, I'm tuckered out 100%
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    From an intermediate / low advanced older guy who has been riding Moab for about 15 years and currently ride there about 6 weeks a year:

1) TWE is a big adventure and requires a lot of endurance. Any intermediate can ride it they just have to get off the bike in some places. I recommended only riding UPS, LPS, and Porky your first time. Often no shuttle available to there this time of the year so try for Kokopelli down to UPS, etc. That leaves from the LaSal Loop Road which is paved. You'll have fun on the rocks but miss the alpine riding which you have plenty of in Canada. However, much of riding Porky is just Jeep road.

2) A lot of regular Moab riders have a love / hate relationship with the Slick Rock Bike Trail. It is an odd beast but worth riding at least once. You'll probably hike the bikes on some climbs and if you aren't used to big plunges you may hike those at first. Still, it is hugely scenic and never boring.

3) As I'm sure you are aware there are a lot of fantastic trails near Moab. North Klondike, Captain Ahab / Hymasa, and three major riding areas off Highway 313; Navajo Rocks, Mag 7, and Horsethief Mesa. These are newer and in my opinion more fun to ride than Porky or Slick Rock. While mostly intermediate they are fast and flowy with amazing scenery. Plenty of rocks and some great slabs of slick rock to ride! I rarely ride Porky / TWE or Slick Rock anymore. I find I'm having a lot more fun on the newer trails.

2 days sucks, but you already knew that. Have fun!
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Just got back from Moab last weekend and had 2 days to ride. We did Hymasa/Capt Ahab, then Whole Enchilada.
    The heat will get you after lunch, so go out early for whatever you do.

My recommendations:
    If you want to do TWE (imo the best ride in Moab), save that for day 2, and do something easier to warm up the day before. Navajo rocks, klondike bluffs area, BRANDS trails etc are all fun and you can piece together a loop of any length. If you want to sample the slickrock, doing the practice loop at dusk is fun.
    TWE is long and tiring and you finish at the hottest part of the day. But is is well worth doing. I think an intermediate could have fun with the right attitude. Take more food and water than you think you will need.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Porcupine Rim is a trail, and is part of The Whole Enchilada. TWE is a bunch of trails linked together - the last one (and pretty much the most difficult one) is Porcupine Rim.

Porcupine Rim by itself is a very short ride; and this time of year you'd have to search to find a shuttle (they're all dropping off higher up). The ride up Sand Flats road to get to Porc Rim is pretty long and boring. Overall, I'd either do TWE (shuttle), or get a shuttle and do "Burro Down" - the lower 3/4 of TWE (which avoids a bunch of climbing).

alien exchange student
    Some good advice above but I felt compelled to throw in my two cents. I'd forego the Enchilada unless all riders are strong and fit. It is gruelling (and fun if you are prepared). I recommend hitting the Magnificent 7 area. It is fun, scenic and a fantastic system. Start at the top and take Getaway to Bull Run. When you get to the bottom of Bull Run, if everyone feels good, you could climb the road up and then descend all of Getaway. From there, hit Arth's down to the bottom. There is still a grind on the jeep road to get out but this is far easier than the Enchilada and very fun and scenic. If day one goes well, consider the Klondike area for day two. If you really want to hit part of the Enchilada, start at Kokopelli starting from the LaSal Loop road. Have a blast!
    More riding tips than the Kama Sutra!

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I mostly agree with Rider Mel but need to clarify a bit. He is recommending a Mag 7 shuttle to the top of Mag 7 and exit out Gemini Bridges Road to Hwy 191 and take the paved trail alongside 191 back to town.

From the top of Mag 7 at Hwy 313 you drop down Getaway to the top of Bull Run, then drop Bull Run to the bottom of Getaway at the Arth's Corner trailhead. From there you can take Arth's trail down to Gemini Bridges Road and out to the highway through the sand pit and the climb everyone hates. Or instead of Arth's drop down Great Escape to Hidden Canyon, one of my very favorite rides with lots of slick rock, then Hidden Canyon up to Gemini Bridges Road and out to the highway.

As Rider Mel suggested, this route is a lot of fun and very scenic. Dropping down Bull Run is a blast! I think more fun than TWE and Slick Rock and that is the feedback I hear all the time on the trails.

I do this differently so I don't have to ride out Gemini Bridges Road. From Hwy 313 I drive down Gemini Bridges Road to Arth's Corner and park there. If you have a lower clearance vehicle you can park just above Arth's and ride the bottom of Bull Run to Getaway. Either way, climb Getaway to the top of Bull Run, drop Bull Run, pass your car and drop Great Esacape, then take Hidden Canyon up to Gemini Bridges Road and ride up the road to your car or climb Arth's trail. The road is easier and rather scenic also.

If you spent two days on Mag 7 and Navajo Rocks and Chisholm Trail you would be very happy. Or as we've suggested try North Klondike. I know, not the most famous trails but really fun! Let us know which trails you ride and your feedback please.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

alien exchange student
    Good clarification and routing advice. In looking at my post, it probably only made sense if you have already been there - not enough coffee pre-post! Thanks for making it work.
    More riding tips than the Kama Sutra!