Moab ???- Mtbr.com

Thread: Moab ???

Jan 2006

Moab ???

I'm going to Moab in June, are there any bugs, do I need bug spray?
    How about rattle snakes on the trails, do I need a snake bite kit?
    Any big animals that can eat you, should I bring a hog leg?
    Any info would be cool, thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    bring water, and a lot of it. 3-4 liters is not too much for longer rides in June.

bugs? unlikely unless your in the river bottom or next to some roadkill.

snakes? i've yet to see my first but i'm not out when they are either.

big animals? you usually find them in rock-crawlers but most are pretty slow and often uncoordinated due to inebriation when lured out of their lair and into the open.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cachehiker
    big animals? you usually find them in rock-crawlers but most are pretty slow and often uncoordinated due to inebriation when lured out of their lair and into the open.

Thats right.

Who's that guy?
    Quote Originally Posted by cachehiker
    Ha!

Slow and steady gets you...7th place.

"Hey! Where is everybody going??"

mtbr member

3/2

Quote Originally Posted by superstar
    I'm going to Moab in June, are there any bugs, do I need bug spray?
    How about rattle snakes on the trails, do I need a snake bite kit?
    Any big animals that can eat you, should I bring a hog leg?
    Any info would be cool, thanks.
    Whatch out for the 3/2 beer (bring real beer if you drink it), the Lessal mts (Huge climbing, not much payoff) and bike shop gouging. If you run Sram bring a spare; they have nothing. Hit Amassa, Porc and Soverign at least. The only good part of Poison Spider is Portal. Been there 5 time and I've never seen a snake or an aggressive bug. Get past the name and eat and drink at Eddie Mc Stiffs; best beer in town even if it dosn't kick.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    Whatch out for the 3/2 beer (bring real beer if you drink it), the Lessal mts (Huge climbing, not much payoff)
    I don't mind 3.2 beer when i'm in areas as hot and dry as Moab, especially when I'm camping as often as I am. Getting drunk just gets me dehydrated. Getting my friends drunk gets me an advantage.

I also beg to differ when in comes to the La Sals but I'm a shutterbug who's been known to bring as much as 3 lbs. of camera gear along on my bike. There are some sweet 24mm wide angle shots up there.

Also, Slickrock has to be experienced. It's a truly unique ride and what Moab is famous for. If you're a powerful climber on the right bike, it's actually pretty easy. Marginal climbers will find it punishing.

Slickrock isn't the best trail out there but you can't say you've done Moab without it, Porcupine, Amassa, Poison Spider, and yes, the relatively sedate Gemini Bridges. I haven't done all of the Sovereign Trail yet, but it is on the short list.

Mmmmmm Beer!
    The breakfast at the Jailhouse is the best in Moab too!
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

More Chasmism
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    Get past the name and eat and drink at Eddie Mc Stiffs; best beer in town even if it dosn't kick.
    About a month ago, McStiff's abandoned their brewery operations. Though they are still open as the same restaurant more or less ($7.00 burgers minus fries), their line of beers is history.

Jan 2006

... and if we just ...

big animals? you usually find them in rock-crawlers but most are pretty slow and often uncoordinated due to inebriation when lured out of their lair and into the open.[/QUOTE]

I just looked up the species of animals that dwell in rock-crawlers and was surprised to see that we have the same species in this region, we refer to them as "rednecks". We consider them to be a nuisance animal.

Members who have read this thread: 0