Mineral Bottom/Horse Thief- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Mineral Bottom/Horse Thief

Getting thru the Mineral Bottom/Horse Thief washouts is NOT a big deal for bikes and hikers. We made it down and thru the 'impassable' washouts during our annual White Rim in a Day on Oct. 15. Get off bike, engage brain, walk thru/lift bike, get on bike, pedal a bit, repeat 3X...
    Just as much of an issue for vehicles is the White Rim [WR] stretch along the Green where just about every sandy arroyo is washed out. WR is now gated [to vehicles] a bit to the north of Potato Bottom to keep out the stupid...
    See attached images...
    1-Our herd of cats was a bit large, eight!, but we made it around in 13hrs. Two of our group were nice and dropped water for us at the Airport, the day before. Very nice for eight thirsty riders to have 6-gal of water waiting at the 80-mile point.
    2-Yes, the road is closed at the top of the Mineral Bottom switchbacks. Proceed with caution, yada, yada...
    3-The road bed is gone, but you just hike-a-bike thru it. This is the first...
    4-Probably the 'hardest move' to get thru the switchback washouts. Just about all of our group was an ancient 50 or order and didn't have much problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mineral Bottom/Horse Thief-wr2010.jpg  

Mineral Bottom/Horse Thief-wr2010-walk0.jpg  

Mineral Bottom/Horse Thief-wr2010-walk1.jpg  

Mineral Bottom/Horse Thief-wr2010-walk2.jpg  

Last edited by BarryWind; 10-18-2010 at 09:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    A short video from one of our WRIAD group... -B

edit >> from October 15th, 2010.

http://gallery.me.com/ckrenz/100291
    Last edited by BarryWind; 10-19-2010 at 08:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'll neither confirm nor deny the existence of God or even Santa, but there is a way down Horse Thief / Mineral Bottom Road for bikers. Here's the proof. Green is rideable, red is hike-a-bike. After the long catwalk traverse that disappears to the right and the final roll-out switchback below, there are a couple more hike-a-bike washout sections before the Mineral Bottom intersection at the bottom.
    And if look carefully at the photo, you'll see some of the rock cairn troll handiwork along the arrows. The trolls have been very busy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mineral Bottom/Horse Thief-washout-walk.jpg  

Last edited by BarryWind; 10-18-2010 at 03:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Looks like a nice trundling spot.

banned
    BW:

Great Post. It is amazing how mountain bikers refuse to be denied doing a ride that they are determined to do. I have no information about you and your friends wanting to do the White Rim, and I am curious if your group planned to do the White Rim ride way before the big rain event?

I would bet that that hike-a-bike was just a part of the adventure, where 99% of the American public would never consider doing the hike-a-bike let alone the doing the White Rim ride in one day .

TD

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yes, to answer your question. WRIAD seems to becoming an annual event with me - this was my third. 1st year I got my arm twisted by a friend - two of us. Last year, I spread the infection and organized for three. This year, I herded another 7 cats to make it 8, which is probably too many for this long of a ride, but we made it work.
    Hardest hurdle to overcome was getting a water cache in place. I did it the first year with the water [180oz] on my back and that wasn't enough. Last year we got Magpie to cache water at Hogback for us. This year the price of a water drop went up to over $400 for 5+ gallons. Call me cheap. We made our own arrangements this year.
    The closing of Mineral Bottom road to vehicles has really impacted the supported/guided trips. I'd speculate that their business is 30% [or less] of normal. Without an outfitter's trip to take advantage of, Magpie in our case, one basically pays for an outfitter to take a trip just to drop water.
    We chipped-in $20 each to reward a couple of our group to drop water at the Airport for us. We had 6-gallons of water shared among 8 riders, which was 95% consumed. Water at White Crack or Hogback would have been preferred, but it took our gang 4-hrs [2-hrs each way] to bounce into the Airport and back.
    If the road isn't fixed by next fall, I'll give it 50-50 odds, we will do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    BW:

... I am curious if your group planned to do the White Rim ride way before the big rain event? ...snip...

TD

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryWind
    Yes, to answer your question. WRIAD seems to becoming an annual event with me - this was my third. 1st year I got my arm twisted by a friend - two of us. Last year, I spread the infection and organized for three. This year, I herded another 7 cats to make it 8, which is probably too many for this long of a ride, but we made it work.
    Hardest hurdle to overcome was getting a water cache in place. I did it the first year with the water [180oz] on my back and that wasn't enough. Last year we got Magpie to cache water at Hogback for us. This year the price of a water drop went up to over $400 for 5+ gallons. Call me cheap. We made our own arrangements this year.
    The closing of Mineral Bottom road to vehicles has really impacted the supported/guided trips. I'd speculate that their business is 30% [or less] of normal. Without an outfitter's trip to take advantage of, Magpie in our case, one basically pays for an outfitter to take a trip just to drop water.
    We chipped-in $20 each to reward a couple of our group to drop water at the Airport for us. We had 6-gallons of water shared among 8 riders, which was 95% consumed. Water at White Crack or Hogback would have been preferred, but it took our gang 4-hrs [2-hrs each way] to bounce into the Airport and back.
    If the road isn't fixed by next fall, I'll give it 50-50 odds, we will do the same thing.
    BW:

Are you saying you had water flown into the airport? Isn't the airport at Mineral Bottom the opposite direction you are riding?

TD

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The day before our ride, we drove in water, via Shafer, to the Airport campground on White Rim. The 'Airport' I'm referring to is between the Gooseberry CG and Musselman Arch on White Rim.
    For the two guys in our group that drove the water in for us, it was about 16 miles of dirt [one-way] off paved 313. It took them 2-hrs each way, driving a Dodge 1-ton 4WD pickup, to cache the water. One of the two had a Honda Element that he didn't think would have made the journey. I have a Honda CR-V that I feel could have made the trip.
    Technically, you are required to have an approved and signed permit to cache water in the park, but we did it anyway [we bad]. We hauled out all eight plastic jugs [and lids] and democratically selected our favorite plant to water with the surplus, instead of just pouring it on the sand.
    For us, starting/parking at the top of Shafer and riding CCW, the Airport was at about the 79-mile point of our 95-mile ride. Ideally I'd like water at Hogback or White Rim, but our volunteers didn't drive that far. Having 3-quarts each of water at the Airport was a lot better than having to carry those extra 3-quarts of water the entire loop.
    I'm a purist for most things like this, wanting to be 100% self-sufficient, but willing to compromise for the safety/luxury of extra water on a ride of such magnitude. Ironically, this year we could have brought along a water filter and filled from water potholes, but relying on that is a stupid gamble. And yes, we could have filled from the rivers, but with a group of eight, the extra time for those side trips would not have been a good idea.
    I have a map that I made up which shows the distances and elevations for a CCW loop that I will try to upload to my section or you can send me a PM and I can send a copy your direction. -Barry

Edit - I uploaded a JPEG version of the map into my photo gallery here...
    https://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/5...im_Map_CCW.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    BW:

Are you saying you had water flown into the airport? Isn't the airport at Mineral Bottom the opposite direction you are riding?

TD
    Last edited by BarryWind; 10-19-2010 at 12:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Road to be fixed!!!!

This from the Moab FB page, hope it comes true!!!

We just got word that the Mineral Bottom Road reconstruction contract was awarded on Dec 2 to KSUE of Moab and will begin on Dec 13th! Construction is expected to continue through Spring 2011. Great News for all the Canoers and 4-wheelers and bikers!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Great news. Hopefully "Spring 2011" doesn't run too late and the road is at least ready by fall.. Guess it depends on how the contract is written - do they get rewarded for finishing early or can they have "problems" and milk it...?. -B

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Very good to hear... I have a WR permit May 5 weekend... keeping fingers crossed.

frejwilk

Mineral Bottom road closure

As stated above, the contract was awarded to rebuild the Mineral Bottom road.

I just found out today that the switchbacks will be closed until the project is complete. This includes the temporary hike a bike route around the damage.
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Latest

From the Moab Times:

http://moabtimes.com/view/full_story..._news_2nd_left

I guess that "sometime this spring" could mean any time up until June 21, so plan accordingly. The detour mentioned above in the thread is closed while the work is going on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the update

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Anyone been up and down the Mineral Bottom road since they opened it on 29 March? It would be great to get a first hand report....thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Heading out for a White Rim lap this weekend. If I don't see reports, I will follow up.

Enjoying The Ride
    Nov 2010
    Rode the loop yesterday, 3/31/11. Parked at the top of Mineral Bottom and rode clockwise. Beware of worse than normal sand from Potato Bottom to the climb up Mineral....otherwise, a stellar day!! The road improvements on the washout are super smooth.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Rode a lap yesterday. I second the comments above. Its in good shape, but the lack of traffic has lead to lots of sand, though I've seen it worse.

The washed out area was filled in with concrete. I thought it seemed kind of strange, but it works. I don't have any pictures as I got there at dark.

Members who have read this thread: 0