MidMountain trail - which direction is better?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

MidMountain trail - which direction is better?

I may finally be getting up to ride the MidMountain trail this weekend on Sunday. I moved here last August and never had a chance to go... Anyway, which direction is more fun - from Park City to the Canyons or from the Canyons to Park City? Does the trail extend to Dear Valley? Fun = technical, challenging, fast, but fun killer climbs are good too (I just don't like mind-numbing double-track never-ending climbs...). We plan to ride up to the trail from the base of whichever resort you suggest, so the best climb recommendation would also be appreciated.

Also, in a separate but related question, I may bring my wife in the future - she is technically quite good (likes to decend) but is not trained, so if she were to take a lift up and then hit the trail, which is the best starting point for the least climbing?

Thanks,
    Albert

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Personally

1. I think it is better starting at PCMR and riding to the canyons. The MM section is slightly downhill in that direction . Its good either way, but thats the way I prefer.
    2. As far as lifts go see if your wife can take the lift to Red pine lodge at the canyons. That lodge is located right on the trail close just after the climb.
    3. Yes MMT runs from Pinebrook all the way to DV resort.
    Happy Riding
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    1. I think it is better starting at PCMR and riding to the canyons. The MM section is slightly downhill in that direction . Its good either way, but thats the way I prefer.
    Thanks - If starting at Park City, do you recomend the Spiro climb or another route up? A post elsehwere, someone recommended an alternate way to get up to the Crest trail, staring with Sweeny's to John's, then continuing to the Steps, to Keystone, Shadow lake loop and up Puke Hill. I see on the PCMR trail map that Sweeny's to John's will also get me to the MMT - is that climb more technical/interesting than Spiro's?
    How about going all the way up, around the lake, and then rip down and meet up with the MMT - would that be work it as well?

Thanks

Fartographer
    My favorite ride is Spiro to Mid Mountain to John's and Sweeney's. For me, that's about the most bang for the buck and I can do it after work, driving up from Salt Lake. Love that ride!
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    My favorite ride is Spiro to Mid Mountain to John's and Sweeney's. For me, that's about the most bang for the buck and I can do it after work, driving up from Salt Lake. Love that ride!
    How long of a loop is that? (distance and/or time...)

Fartographer

Length

Quote Originally Posted by albertdc
    How long of a loop is that? (distance and/or time...)
    I've GPS-ed it a few times. If I remember right it's a bit over 10 miles and takes me about 2 hours at a reasonable pace. I'm no racer
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    The MM from DV to Canyons is pretty incredible, but that's ~40 miles of hard riding. I like to do two different loops on each end to the MM. I'll ride town bike path and road to DV base lodge, climb Deer Crest to Silver Lake, then MM, down Tour de Suds, over to Link (this part is a little confusing but it's worth it, Link is unreal), then back on MM to Spiro and down. The other one is up Spiro, MM to Canyons and down Cliff's/Rob's. The first loop is ~20 miles, the second ~25 miles and each has ~2500ft climbing total. You could drive to DV Silver Lake with your wife, ride the MM as described, leave her to chill out in town, then ride back to the car yourself. You'll need the $2 Mountain Trails map available at any bike store.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PC_Vern
    The MM from DV to Canyons is pretty incredible, but that's ~40 miles of hard riding. I like to do two different loops on each end to the MM. I'll ride town bike path and road to DV base lodge, climb Deer Crest to Silver Lake, then MM, down Tour de Suds, over to Link (this part is a little confusing but it's worth it, Link is unreal), then back on MM to Spiro and down. The other one is up Spiro, MM to Canyons and down Cliff's/Rob's. The first loop is ~20 miles, the second ~25 miles and each has ~2500ft climbing total. You could drive to DV Silver Lake with your wife, ride the MM as described, leave her to chill out in town, then ride back to the car yourself. You'll need the $2 Mountain Trails map available at any bike store.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think my brother and I will do Spiro to MM to Canyons on Sunday. Tomorrow I am planning on takin my wife up the gondola at the Canyons, ride around a bit up there, including a little out and back on the MM, and then ride down. I see Rob's on the Canyon's trail map, but there is no description. Can you, or someone, compare Holly's, Ambush, and Rob's? I can't decide which to take her on, and which to plan on for me and my brother. As I said, my wife is actually technically pretty good descending, but I don't want to bring her off any big drop-offs or anything REAL knarlly. She will be on a hard-tail 26'er, so I don't want to kill her. For my brother and I, we are both on hardtail 29-er's and like fast, technical descents, but again are not into huge DH drop-offs obviously. Recommendations?

mtbr member
    Rob's - Cliff's is all choice singletrack through aspen and evergreen forests. It isn't difficult and only a little rocky in places. It's one of my favorite trails in either direction.

Holly's is a little bit steeper and looser in places. Still really nice though. This way down cuts out a very fun section of the MM.

Ambush isn't so great. It's more exposed and doesn't flow like the other two do.

None of the above are technical and hard tail should have no problem. All will be pretty busy with bikers and hikers on the weekend.

mtbr member
    Another vote for PCMR toward The Canyons...you can really haul a#* in that direction.
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

Chumley for prez!

Spiro-MM-Silver Lake-Devo-Norba SD rules.

The spiro-MM-John's-sweeny's ride John mentions is a pretty good one. I don't know what my problem is but I just hate John's trail and will pretty much only ride it if absolutely necessary. I know a lot of people love it, I just am not one of them.
    The loop I have been doing lately is spiro to MM all the way to Silver lake in DV, up the fire road, down devo to the bottom half of the NORBA super D course, then the road back into town. If I have time solamere is a decent way to finish up back into town. That ride is somewhere around 16 miles or so if I remember right. I think Bortis Yelltzin has the GPS data and can chime in to correct me and maybe say how long it took. Like John, I am not CC racer, but I was still able to do this ride after work with little problem before it got dark.

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. welcorn
    I think Bortis Yelltzin has the GPS data and can chime in to correct me and maybe say how long it took.
    Here is the route we take. This is my personal favorite way to ride this stuff. Lots of fun downs and still some work involved. It's a nice loop. We do it in under 2 hours on 30-35 lb bikes. It's about 2300 ft of climbing and about 15.5 miles round trip.

If you have a GPS and want the route PM me your email and I'll send it to you. There are a couple sections where it is tricky to pick up the trail.

B
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen
    Here is the route we take. This is my personal favorite way to ride this stuff. Lots of fun downs and still some work involved. It's a nice loop. We do it in under 2 hours on 30-35 lb bikes. It's about 2300 ft of climbing and about 15.5 miles round trip.

If you have a GPS and want the route PM me your email and I'll send it to you. There are a couple sections where it is tricky to pick up the trail.

B
    Wow
    Great info guys, thanks! Bortis - I will PM you my email so that I have that route for the future. I think tomorrow, though, we are pretty set on trying out Park City to the Canyons.

I took my wife down Holly's today - it was well within her ability, although we took it pretty slow.

It's nice to know that Rob's-Cliffs is nicer - by bro and I will have to check that out as our descent tomorrow after the MM ride. The map des not show it well - does it end up at the base of the Canyon's Gondola?

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen

B

Nice man. That loop looks f#%$#n sick!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    2. As far as lifts go see if your wife can take the lift to Red pine lodge at the canyons. That lodge is located right on the trail close just after the climb.
    3. Yes MMT runs from Pinebrook all the way to DV resort.
    Happy Riding
    Funny, I would have picked the other direction. Seems like the downhills are rougher going towards the Canyons - so you climb the smoother trail and descend the rougher stuff in that direction. I think it flows better towards PC - the climbs are harder but the downs are smooth and fast.

OP: you probably just have to ride it both ways and decide for yourself!

Anyone else think the MM (between spiro+canyons) is rougher than ever this year? Just eems like the rocks are growing out of the ground...

mtbr member
    I dragged my brother on the ride yesterday (he was nursing a tender hamstring, so we had to take it a bit easy). We actually devided to park at the Canyons and take the road over to PK to warm up a bit, rather than doing that section at the end. We went up Spiro with a light drizzle of rain while thunder rumbled over the Canyons. When we got the MM trail, it was obvious the strom would be gone by the time we got there, so we took MM over to Canyons. The trail was a lot of fun, and definately worthwhile. We were pressed for time, so we took Holly's down rather than continuing over to Rob's-Cliff's (which bummed me out, but there is always next time).

I think next time I'll either try out Bortis' trail above or go from DV to the Canyons. Thanks for all the recs.
    Bortis - did you get my IM?
    Thanks,
    Albert

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    yeah, the section from dv to pcmr is the best part of the whole thing, imo.

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Best direction is from The Canyons to Pinebrook...but don't tell anyone. Lot's of fun trails to take at the end of MM which aren't on the map. I took a trail on Saturday that if you blink you'll miss it and it's got about 6 or 7 switchbacks and the last one is super steep and you gotta walk it...unless you aint right in the head. Dumps you out on top of 30+ switchbacks which generally suck balls.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasoncy...hy/2617751777/

Enjoy.
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    2010 Rigid Salsa Selma SS
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by uinta
    yeah, the section from dv to pcmr is the best part of the whole thing, imo.
    Word! Especially if you take Ontario Bypass -> Lower Des Suds -> Empire Link
    http://www.deervalley.com/files/Bike-Map.pdf

Members who have read this thread: 0