Mid Mountain vs Wasatch Crest?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Mid Mountain vs Wasatch Crest?

I've narrowed my ride down to these two--let's here some votes about which trail to ride

Talentless Hack
    Ride it as a loop from the top of Mill Ck, up Great Western, drop into the Canyons Resort, ride the MM trail to PC resort, up and out of PC hell to Puke hill and the Crest Trail. Ride the Crest down the Mill Ck. Utahmountainbiking should have this option. 5 hours of fun at elevation.
    Sierra Club Sucks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Or, you can do the combo from the PC side. Spiro/Shadow Lake/Scots Pass/Puke Hill/Crest Trail/Wasatch Crest connector/Mid Mountain back to Spiro and PC. Did this route a month or so ago...if I remember correctly it was about 30 miles and 5 hours at a pretty mellow pace.

As a side note...if you are planning on doing anything involving the Crest this season you better get after it. Weather man is calling for significant snow starting late Tuesday or early Wednesday.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    Yes.... do it as a huge loop as I did... mine was about 42mi starting in Deer Valley and finishing at Park City resort. This was one ride I'll never forget.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/40hills/...UtahAug232008#
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn
    Or, you can do the combo from the PC side. Spiro/Shadow Lake/Scots Pass/Puke Hill/Crest Trail/Wasatch Crest connector/Mid Mountain back to Spiro and PC. Did this route a month or so ago...if I remember correctly it was about 30 miles and 5 hours at a pretty mellow pace.

As a side note...if you are planning on doing anything involving the Crest this season you better get after it. Weather man is calling for significant snow starting late Tuesday or early Wednesday.
    My ride date is the 8th of October...i'm prayin the snow holds off--or is ridable

Waiting for Godot
    it will snow and melt and snow and melt until about thanksgiving. then it will be all socked up. problem is that the melt will create mud and the snow patches will be inconsistent.
    Out riding, leave a message

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcalgeek41
    My ride date is the 8th of October...i'm prayin the snow holds off--or is ridable
    Really depends on how much we get. The winter storm warning is saying it could be up to 20 inches. A similar storm a few Septembers ago killed the high altitude riding for the rest of the year. If it ends up only a few inches with some warm weather afterward expect a week or two of mud and then good trail conditions. In either case October 8th might be optimistic.

mtbr member
    If it's either/or I'd vote for the crest - great views, fun trail. & if too snowy/wet then mid-mtn. But as others have pointed out there are many ways to include both. Have fun!

Dr. Pepper drinker
    I've narrowed my ride down to these two--let's here some votes about which trail to ride
    I'd say go Crest if you have a shuttle option so you can either go down Mill D or Millcreek. If no shuttle I'd say park at Silver Lake Village in Deer Valley and ride Mid Mountain out as far as you want, and maybe hit some of the side loops off that (lots of options long and short, definitely stop in town and grab one of the nice PC trail maps). Definitely recommend hitting Empire Link on the way back towards DV and climbing back up to Mid-Mountain from the end of that one.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Do it as a loop and I would start at Mill D and ride up to the crest, than around clockwise and back down Mill D.

Have an alternate option as snow could be here to stay. And last October's big Snow storm didn't all melt before Thanksgiving and gaves us one of the worst base layers for Avalanches until Feburary.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey, I loved the bike thief vid on ur blog sweet--chicago?

Waiting for Godot
    Hey, I loved the bike thief vid on ur blog sweet--chicago?

can't give info as johnny law is involved now asking questions, but no one is talking, imagine that....

i will be pedaling the pug up great western tomorrow. pics on the blog to follow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Start at Wasatch, ride up Rattlesnake Gulch then Pipeline, continue to the top and down the connector across Mid-Mountain, up Powerline, Puke Hill, Crest back down Pipeline.
    This is a great ride!

Waiting for Godot
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonman
    Start at Wasatch, ride up Rattlesnake Gulch then Pipeline, continue to the top and down the connector across Mid-Mountain, up Powerline, Puke Hill, Crest back down Pipeline.
    This is a great ride!

sure is but this is great western from millcreek to mid-mountain. i am sure most of those trails above millcreek have snow with some dirt patches, but mostly snow as of today 3pm.

more pics in blog as usual.

mtbr member

Spiro to Crest to Mid-Mountain to Johns

To answer the OP, I'd choose the Crest. Better views, less crowded.

GPS plot for a good loop incorporating both. Starting at PCMR. This route gets most of the climbing out of the way right away.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/12116010

Unfortunately, for the most part, we may be done riding at the higher elevatations for the season.
    Last edited by brentos; 10-04-2009 at 03:52 PM.

Waiting for Godot
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos

Unfortunately, for the most part, we may be done riding at the higher elevatations for the season.

huh? why? i rode all last winter.

i went back today to cut some fallen trees off the trail and it was like a bike circus up there. i first passed about six riders going up. unfair advantage for me riding a pug. then while cutting the fallen trees 13-15 riders went by at one time or another.

snow will melt and it will snow again. just ride on the snow or wait till the mud drys up. just don't ride when its muddy.

LCD
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Crest, conditions permitting. Make sure you ride it south to north.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OilcanRacer
    huh? why? i rode all last winter.

i went back today to cut some fallen trees off the trail and it was like a bike circus up there. i first passed about six riders going up. unfair advantage for me riding a pug. then while cutting the fallen trees 13-15 riders went by at one time or another.

snow will melt and it will snow again. just ride on the snow or wait till the mud drys up. just don't ride when its muddy.
    How high up were you riding last winter? Did you have to swap out to a bike that could hold huge tires, or did you just go studded?
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

Waiting for Godot
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeboater
    How high up were you riding last winter? Did you have to swap out to a bike that could hold huge tires, or did you just go studded?
    really depends on conditions and how much traffic the trail i rode has had.

if it was packed down i rode the vassago with studded tires. if it was soft snow more than 6" i rode the pug.

this year i got a cyclocross bike. although i still need a few parts to finish it. i put on some cross tires on the 29er and rode on hardpack with 2-3 inches of snow on top. the skinny tires cut thru the snow and bit into the harder snow underneath. grip was unreal and i did not have any front wheel wobble like i thought i would have. i will be using the cross bike in the snow this year i think.

last year i went up the road to the gate at millcreek and then up the snowy road to little water trail to dog lake or great western. sometimes i would do loops on those trails. its a good workout in the snow and you don't have too go fast. any downhill part is fun just trying to stay on the trail.

i would see a xc skier or a hiker and they could not believe i was up there on a bike. i did go to lambert park and some trails in park city as well in the snow. same thing.

Members who have read this thread: 0