Mid Mountain reroute?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Mid Mountain reroute?

Anybody know why they had to reroute mid mountain PC to Canyons section? Rode MM today for the first time this year and I was not that impressed with the new trail. The section that is gone was on of the best sections heading back to PC. Now not so much. The new section looks like they drove a bob cat through and called it good? Any info on if there is going to be a trail day to work on it?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by lone pine
    Anybody know why they had to reroute mid mountain PC to Canyons section? Rode MM today for the first time this year and I was not that impressed with the new trail. The section that is gone was on of the best sections heading back to PC. Now not so much. The new section looks like they drove a bob cat through and called it good? Any info on if there is going to be a trail day to work on it?
    I have yet to ride the entire MM this year and have only done so from the top of Spiro towards Deer Valley. But it seemed like towards the end of last season there was some new construction creeping awfully close to the MM more towards the Canyons.

May have something to do with that. Same thing happened a few years ago to TG1/TG2 with all that construction over in PC-yet I don't recall to much of an effort at a reroute over there and those trails seemed to lack attention now.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    I have yet to ride the entire MM this year and have only done so from the top of Spiro towards Deer Valley. But it seemed like towards the end of last season there was some new construction creeping awfully close to the MM more towards the Canyons.

May have something to do with that. Same thing happened a few years ago to TG1/TG2 with all that construction over in PC-yet I don't recall to much of an effort at a reroute over there and those trails seemed to lack attention now.
    Speaking of TG, where the hell can you access that now(does it still exist)? I ride TG2 pretty regularly as an alternate route above Midmountain. Today I attempted to go find TG by riding some of the resort access roads/hiking up a ski run and never came across anything resembling a trail. Ended up way up on Guardsmans road eventually where pavement turns to gravel and not seeing signs of TG anywhere up there as is shown on last years PC trail map gave up and rode/hiked the ridgeline past McConkeys all the way up to Dead Tree instead. If anyone is wondering, Dead Tree has 6-7 short snowdrifts to deal with but otherwise the trail is in good shape, Apex had one small snowdrift and a couple large trees down at the beginning, otherwise good to go.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Talentless Hack

The reroute totally....

sucks a#$ . I am grateful that we can ride from Deer Valley to the Canyons over private land but the reroute is awful. It appears that the most sun exposed, loose terrain was chosen for it. Other than that the rest of the trail is in perfect condition.
    Sierra Club Sucks

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    Speaking of TG, where the hell can you access that now(does it still exist)? I ride TG2 pretty regularly as an alternate route above Midmountain. Today I attempted to go find TG by riding some of the resort access roads/hiking up a ski run and never came across anything resembling a trail. Ended up way up on Guardsmans road eventually where pavement turns to gravel and not seeing signs of TG anywhere up there as is shown on last years PC trail map gave up and rode/hiked the ridgeline past McConkeys all the way up to Dead Tree instead. If anyone is wondering, Dead Tree has 6-7 short snowdrifts to deal with but otherwise the trail is in good shape, Apex had one small snowdrift and a couple large trees down at the beginning, otherwise good to go.
    catch,
    Where we usually access it isn't that far up Guardsmans, although I believe there is a short section of single track that comes down from where you mentioned and connects right near where we start. There is an unmarked trail that is kinda hidden as it's rarely ridden about 2 turns below the very top of the paved section before it starts to dip down again towards where the dirt road begins. It's off to the right of the road on a hard left hand paved switchback after you go under the bridge. The upper section was fairly decent and intact but seems like every time I rode them there was another bit of construction without a clearly marked reroute about midway. And each time we were pushing our bikes around some new dirt access road trying to find where to find the next bit of trail.

Chumley climbed up Apex on Friday and reported the same thing but he didn't go all the way to the top and turned around where it comes out on the service road before the last section and then turned around. He said Keystone was decent and rode it out.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Boy 1
    sucks a#$ . I am grateful that we can ride from Deer Valley to the Canyons over private land but the reroute is awful. It appears that the most sun exposed, loose terrain was chosen for it. Other than that the rest of the trail is in perfect condition.
    I spoke to a friend this am who had ridden Mid Mountain right from Spiro this weekend and said the same thing. Apparently you have to drop down a bit now and then climb back up to bypass some new construction and the trail is how Flying Dog was when it was first cut: soft, loose and not very fun. I guess the same thing could be said about Chumley's girlfriend.

Got to make room for all the snow birds who come here from out of town for 2 weeks a year .

Zak
    Discernibly Turgid
    Jul 2004
    Yeah, I can confirm that the reroute sucks - it's soft, slow, really bumpy, with lots of roots/branches. It was pretty freshly machine cut. Hopefully it'll get better with time, rain, and some traffic. I bailed on a Canyons -> DV out and back because I didn't want to ride that again after 4.5 hours in the saddle. Rode John's down and took the road back to the Canyons.

There were 4 guys in Canyons garb out working on it when I rode through on Thursday morning.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak
    Yeah, I can confirm that the reroute sucks - it's soft, slow, really bumpy, with lots of roots/branches. It was pretty freshly machine cut. Hopefully it'll get better with time, rain, and some traffic. I bailed on a Canyons -> DV out and back because I didn't want to ride that again after 4.5 hours in the saddle. Rode John's down and took the road back to the Canyons.

There were 4 guys in Canyons garb out working on it when I rode through on Thursday morning.
    Seemed it took the likes of Flying Dog and the old/new/old section of Deer Crest reroute around that new funicular off the parking lot (aka: winter owl version of a Jazzy) a winter under heavy snowpack and lots of foot/bike traffic before it packed in and wasn't like riding on the beach.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Rode MM today from the Canyons to Spiro. A LOT more elevation gain and loss on the new section. While pretty rocky the dirt is not really loose but heck, I'm used to pumice and decomposed granite.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

how long is the mm reroute?

how many miles have they rerouted?
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm going to guess they detour you off a quarter mile of trail and give you what seems like almost a mile. Heading south to PCMR, I estimate you climb 200 feet, drop 400 feet then climb back 200 feet in that distance.

vmb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

MM trail conditions ?

[QUOTE=mammothguy]Rode MM today from the Canyons to Spiro.

We're heading to PC for our family vacation next Saturday, July 10th, from Arizona (rode yesterday in 112 so looking forward to the cool temps). What are the MM trail conditions like ? anything to be concerned about ?

We also plan to ride from PCMR up Spiro, continuing on to the top of the ridge (I did that last year and it was a great ride - except there was still allot of snow near the crest (by the little lake near the top - can't remember the name). In any case, I appreciate any recent trail info...

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    [QUOTE=vmb]
    Quote Originally Posted by mammothguy
    Rode MM today from the Canyons to Spiro.

We're heading to PC for our family vacation next Saturday, July 10th, from Arizona (rode yesterday in 112 so looking forward to the cool temps). What are the MM trail conditions like ? anything to be concerned about ?

We also plan to ride from PCMR up Spiro, continuing on to the top of the ridge (I did that last year and it was a great ride - except there was still allot of snow near the crest (by the little lake near the top - can't remember the name). In any case, I appreciate any recent trail info...
    I'm assuming you mean climbing Spiro to Thaynes and then hooking onto Powerline and grinding your way up past Shadow Lake to the bottom of Puke Hill on the Crest?

That's all dry and will probably be dusty by the time you get here. If you're planning on exiting out Apex or Keystone there were a couple of downed trees and some small snow patches a week ago, but nothing worth worrying about and they're probably gone now.

If you want to make it interesting and suffer a bit, we do a loop starting from the Canyons, riding the road over to PCMR, up Spiro to Thaynes up Powerline to Shadow Lake then on and up Puke Hill and along the Crest and then head back over towards Millcreek and then back down Holly's or whatever to the Canyons. I want to say it's almost 40 miles on the nose and that long descent back into the Canyons is a great way to end that ride.

Talentless Hack
    [QUOTE=slcrockymountainrider]
    Quote Originally Posted by vmb
    If you want to make it interesting and suffer a bit, we do a loop starting from the Canyons, riding the road over to PCMR, up Spiro to Thaynes up Powerline to Shadow Lake then on and up Puke Hill and along the Crest and then head back over towards Millcreek and then back down Holly's or whatever to the Canyons. I want to say it's almost 40 miles on the nose and that long descent back into the Canyons is a great way to end that ride.
    I was just thinking about doing the loop as you describe since the MM reroute was put in. I would even suggest taking the bus from the Canyons 7-11 to PC. Think of it as a flatland shuttle. I normally do the whole thing as single track using the MM trail but that reroute kills my will to ride.
    Sierra Club Sucks

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    [QUOTE=Idiot Boy 1]
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider

I was just thinking about doing the loop as you describe since the MM reroute was put in. I would even suggest taking the bus from the Canyons 7-11 to PC. Think of it as a flatland shuttle. I normally do the whole thing as single track using the MM trail but that reroute kills my will to ride.
    Well, we've thought of just 'shutteling' it to take out that long road/walkway section, but to be honest I did't really mind it. Reason being is that it's a decent warm up rather than jumping right onto Spiro and doing all that climbing right off the bat and non-stop literally until you hit the Spine.

And I had my mileage wrong. This loop only about 18-20 miles. I was thinking of a similar loop but riding road to the entrance of the Mid Mountain at DV Resort and taking MM all the way back over to the Canyons 7-11 which came right in at 40 miles.

Waiting for Godot
    rode crest to mid mountain, then across towards DV and back up powerline, yesterday.

the new reroute was not that bad. a bit of a new trail blues. it needs more riding and some rain. a few parts were like fighting a dragon with a pocket knife. just keep whittling away until your done, but fun.
    Out riding, leave a message

gravity challenged
    May 2009
    I'm up in PC for a few days and did a fun ride today... Up Spiro then right on Mid Mountain until I hit the reroute. Didn't take too long for me to get tired of that fresh cut section so turned around and headed over to John's. Made a wrong turn and ended up going down 420, then a short bit of road to a primitive singletrack that hooked back into Sweeny's. Road that briefly then split off on another unmarked/unnamed single track that was really fun and ended up descending over near the alpine slide. Another wrong turn put me on a super steep and narrow trail that dumped out right next to my hotel. Had to walk the last bit though, too overgrown and steep.

Great ride. Nice place you have here in Utah!

Time to go find some grub.

ps: Talked to a very cool guy over at the Bootworks (I think) shop in the square. Very helpful and friendly, turned me onto the map and some recommendations.
    - Brian

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    the new reroute is permanent. It does suck because it takes a little of the character (and easyness) out of MM but such is life. Due to the new crop of houses over near the Park City Resort side. Again, such is life.

Bored Carp
    If it makes anyone feel better, it improved quite a bit in the rain. Probably won't be all that great when it dries again this year, but I think that in a season it will be a decent bit of trail.The new climb is Spiro-esque, but still a bit easier.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Spiro-esque with chunks.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    So, I started this thread the day after they opened the new section. The reason was to find out why they had to reroute it. I have ridden it a bunch since. As expected it is getting better.
    Here is some info from the park record:
    Another change comes on the Mid-Mountain Trail, which has been rerouted at Iron Mountain for construction purposes. The rerouting has made the trail longer and more technical, Sturgis said. Work will also begin soon on Iron Mountain, wrapping the trail all the
    way around the mountain. When finished, that trail will offer less-technical choices for riders, Sturgis said.

Another as-yet-unnamed trail around the Silver Star area to the top of "Puke Hill" at Scott's Peak has received funding and will begin construction at an undetermined date this summer. The trail will allow people to access Mid-Mountain and Ridge Crest trails more easily. "Right now, it's a hump," Sturgis said.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I went to the Mid Mountain trail today for the first time in a month and now a NEW reroute. Heading south away from The Colony homes, all of a sudden granny gear switchbacks. In south bound direction, these new switchbacks make the earlier reroute seem mild. Dirt is firm.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

You Had Me At Firm

I went to the Mid Mountain trail today for the first time in a month and now a NEW reroute. Heading south away from The Colony homes, all of a sudden granny gear switchbacks. In south bound direction, these new switchbacks make the earlier reroute seem mild. Dirt is firm.
    So does that make it 3 reroutes of just 2? Because when I was chasing JMH and chuky along that trail a while back we ran across a new section that was taped off and recently cut, but not yet open.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just the 2 that I know of. The trail has definately lost its original flow and intent of meandering around the 8000 elevation line. On the bright side, changes will result in less traffic perhaps.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Just the 2 that I know of. The trail has definately lost its original flow and intent of meandering around the 8000 elevation line. On the bright side, changes will result in less traffic perhaps.
    I think that was chuky's prediction on our ride as the infamous sitting bench at the mid point is no longer a lazy jaunt to get to.
    I will say that over the summer either I was hypersensitive or there really were a lot more people riding The Trail Formerly Known As The Mid Mountain Trail from Deer Valley over towards Spiro and then exiting either down Spiro or CMG this year. On more than a handful of rides our group was at a standstill riding any portion of that trail in the opposite direction.

Members who have read this thread: 0