Mid Mountain Group Ride 9/12- Mtbr.com
    Fragglepuss The Chaste

Mid Mountain Group Ride 9/12

Seeing as how larryonabike's 9/11 turned out to be a big bust, I'd like to compensate and get a group of 36ers together to ride the Mid Mountain this coming Sunday during the Marathon.

I don't care if you're hydrated. In fact I would prefer it if we'd have a couple of casualties on this ride to keep population numbers down. Feel free to leave your helmets and common sense at home too.

Only rules:
    1. You have to show up on your 36er .
    2. No dead bicycle technology like little wheeled 29ers masquerading as 36ers ,clipless pedals, Gravity Retarder seatposts or hacked down Fox 40 forks to accomodate larger and thus superior wheels.
    3. Riders must wear the pair of Doc Martin boots they have stashed in the back of their closet from when they were a Goth/Emo kid hanging out in the basement of Area 51 sad dancing to the Cure.
    4. No snipers.

We'll be taking off right at the start of the Marathon to ride and build comradery with our trail running bretheren. Rumor has it they really like it if you pass them on the descents and then get repassed on steep climbs (and repeat) as it gives each party a chance to display their trail etiquette skills during competition.
    If you get a flat, feel free to fix it on the smoothest most middlest section of the Mid Mountain and open up your Camelbak and spread your tools and old/dry peanut butter Cliff bar all over the sides around you. Make certain you ride ahead and do this repair in front of a large group of runners as they love the challenge of jumping over bike parts. If you can get a few cyclists to stand around in the trail while you do your repairs, all the better.

See ya there!

Edit: details

Course & Distance:
    26.2 miles on single track trail from Silver Lake Lodge at Deer Valley Resort to The Forum at The Canyons.
    Marathon course closes at 2:00 PM. For your safety, we have set up a “free ride home” location. If you are not at Red Pine Lodge located at The Canyons mile 17.9 by 1:00 PM you will be asked to head back to the finish in the gondola. If you choose to continue against our recommendations, you do so at your own risk, and will be asked for your bib.
    There are 10 aid stations,mile 2.9 (water only) (Participants of the 36er ride will not be allowed to drink any water at the aid stations!), 4.8, 8.5, 10.4, 14.8, 16, 17.9, 19.9, 21.5, 22.8 all have water-except for 36er riders!, Clif Shots and Clif Blocks, every other has Gatorade and bananas. We don't need any of that fancy banana crap. Real men ride 36ers hung over and dehydrated.
    Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 09-10-2009 at 02:22 PM.

Chumley for prez!
    I can't believe you haven't gotten any takers for this yet?! Maybe it's because there are no unicorns in your post...just a thought?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. welcorn
    I can't believe you haven't gotten any takers for this yet?! Maybe it's because there are no unicorns in your post...just a thought?
    I seriously considered it (and actually had about 30 of them in the rough draft) but thought that it would be too much for the general public to handle considering the topic of this Thread. I first heard of the 36er on Rich Dillen's Blog about a year or so ago and was so stunned my legs fell asleep as I wasn't able to get off the toilet for 6+ hours.
    I honestly thought 3 feet of rotating wheel was the next progression now that the 29er fad has had it's day in court. You'll notice I had to change the Smiles status of the 29er to reflect this progression. Either I'm wrong, or everyone is scouring the web ordering up one for this coming weekend.

Granted, Unicorns (or dragons if you're Canadian) are the basis for any Thread and used inappropriately can either make or break it. I just couldn't find the appropriate unicorn to complement the introduction of the 36er group ride. But I'm still looking.

Bored Carp
    you guys could just call each other, you know...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yeah....get a stable.

May The Force Be With You
    i'd be all for it! but the USAF put me on weekend standby i can't leave the local area ( no more then 10min. away from Hill AFB) DRINK ONE OR 12 FOR ME!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance
    '11 Jedi (for sale, small)

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    you guys could just call each other, you know...
    We could, but it's always a bit akward discussing unicorns over the phone...mano-a-mano. You start converging on 'safe zones' and then the parents have to step in and have an intervention. It just turns out to be a big headache for everyone involved. Your photo pretty much sums that experience up and something I'd rather not relive. I'd rather keep it in a public place, out in the open for the safety of all involved.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8
    i'd be all for it! but the USAF put me on weekend standby i can't leave the local area ( no more then 10min. away from Hill AFB) DRINK ONE OR 12 FOR ME!
    Damn the Armed Forces! They took larryonabike out too this weekend and swept him off on some high 9/11 alert or something.

Oh well, you can ride your 36er on base. Maybe out on the tarmac getting in the way of landing jets. That should be an accurate recreation of this ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0