Is mid-March too early for Moab?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Is mid-March too early for Moab?

My kids have spring-break March 7-14 and we were thinking of doing a family road trip down to Utah. Will most of the trails still be closed this time of year? Any suggestions on where/what to ride? My son and I are very experienced Mt bikers but wife and daughter not so much.

Also, any suggestions on other destinations with good riding nearby? Doesn't have to be in Utah.

Thanks alot.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Unless some weird weather hits most trails will be open. Whole Enchilada won't be but Porcupine Rim should be.

Heads up, there are a couple of great MTB festivals in Moab then! Poison Spider bike shop sponsors Thaw and the follow weekend is Outerbike. I'm going to try to be there. Fun to demo bikes on the great trails around Moab! Both are held at the Moab Brand Trails so parking there during these events can be a challenge.

There is a huge amount of advice on Moab trails in these forums so do a search. The local bike shops also have deep advice and maps. You can find my "Moab trail analysis for intermediates" series of videos on YouTube if you want some narrative about the trails. However, I don't have videos yet for some of the newer trails.

Basically for the kids and wife take them to the wonderful Moab Brand Trails about 6 miles north of Moab. There is something for everyone there from beginner on slick rock to advanced. It is the best place to get started with MTB in the Moab area. Get a map at a bike shop and they will personalize suggested routes for all of you.

For a family ride Deadhorse Point State Park has a nice beginner / intermediate trail system. Beginners will hike the bike in places. Some amazing views on these trails!

You will want to ride Porcupine Rim, Mag 7, North Klondike, Amasa Back / Captain Ahab, and the Slick Rock trails. There are more but those will keep you more than occupied.

Have a great trip! Be sure to spend some time in Arches NP!!