May Utah mountainn biking/hiking/camping trip- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

May Utah mountainn biking/hiking/camping trip

Hey All,

I am new to this website. I have been biking for sometime in Boulder, CO, but I am getting some friends together and we are thinking of heading out to Utah in May for some biking and hiking. You are going to have to forgive my extreme lack of knowledge of the Utah area, but we were hoping to maybe near canyonlands if possible, but if there are better places to head I am more then ready to hear them out. If some of you wouldn't mind give me some locations where I can pop up a tent for a few days, and throw on a pack and bike/hike all day that would be awesome! Thanks!

Picture Unrelated
    Good place to start is the sticky on the Utah form page. If you have any specific questions after that, post those questions.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    You know that canyonlands is near Moab, right? I think there are a few trails to ride there.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    You know that canyonlands is near Moab, right? I think there are a few trails to ride there.

Ya I think google maps put it an hours drive from Moab...I have been surfing the web for trails, but have not found anything concrete yet...

Bored Carp
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Best place to get info on utah trails is utahmountianbiking.com. Also you will want to make sure to look into getting permits for canyonlands

mtbr member
    Hey nbitzer,

I will be in Moab starting May 10th, 2011, probably staying until the 17th. I will be busy over the weekend (14-15th), but I will be doing plenty of biking before and after the weekend.

Let me know when you will be down there, perhaps we could meet up for a few rides, if our schedules align?

This will be my fifth or sixth time in Moab. I've never done much mountain biking there (alas), but I know the general area. Canyonlands is a little under an hour from Moab; great scenery.

Here are some pics from my favorite (slightly remote/unofficial) campsite (overlooking the Colorado Rivers, 20 miles Southwest of Moab):

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorwegianRepresentative
    Best place to get info on utah trails is utahmountianbiking.com. Also you will want to make sure to look into getting permits for Canyonlands
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you only need permits if you will be overnighting in the Park.

There is a $10 entrance fee for day use.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    [QUOTE=JanBoothius]Hey nbitzer,

I will be in Moab starting May 10th, 2011, probably staying until the 17th. I will be busy over the weekend (14-15th), but I will be doing plenty of biking before and after the weekend.

Let me know when you will be down there, perhaps we could meet up for a few rides, if our schedules align?

This will be my fifth or sixth time in Moab. I've never done much mountain biking there (alas), but I know the general area. Canyonlands is a little under an hour from Moab; great scenery.

Here are some pics from my favorite (slightly remote/unofficial) campsite (overlooking the Colorado Rivers, 20 miles Southwest of Moab):

This is exactly what I am looking for! I want to be able to throw up a fire and not worry about pissing someone off. I do not want to be in some cramped camp site with vehicles passing by all night. I want to be out alone far away from other people with my buddies and be able to do what we want.

You would not happen to know/remember how to get back to where you are in the pics would you? Were there very many trails to ride around there, or did you have to head into town?

I would love to hit some trails with you! I am still trying to figure when all my friends can go in May, but once I have that figured out I will let you know, and maybe we can hit some trails together!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I seemed to have messed up my reply..so I am going to try this again...

This is exactly what I am looking for! I want to be able to throw up a fire and not worry about pissing someone off. I do not want to be in some cramped camp site with vehicles passing by all night. I want to be out alone far away from other people with my buddies and be able to do what we want.

You would not happen to know/remember how to get back to where you are in the pics would you? Were there very many trails to ride around there, or did you have to head into town?

I would love to hit some trails with you! I am still trying to figure when all my friends can go in May, but once I have that figured out I will let you know, and maybe we can hit some trails together!

Quote Originally Posted by JanBoothius
    Hey nbitzer,

Picture Unrelated
    If you drive up or down the Colorado River from Moab you'll find actual campsites that aren't commercial properties. Also, up off of Sand Flats Road (road to Slickrock and Porcupine Rim) has camp sites. Add in camping at the national parks and you should have some good options available to you. Poison Spider Bikes has showers if you need them and there's plenty of places to stock up on free water on Main St.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nbitzer
    I seemed to have messed up my reply..so I am going to try this again...

Hey nbitzer,

Sorry it took me so long to respond.. been busy with skiing, school, and unplanned trips to Moab (supermoon night hikes were unreal, when the clouds cooperated, that is).

I do indeed know how to get back to that camping spot, and I'd be happy to tell you how... PM me and I will gladly send you the info (I'm not keen on sharing my favorite unofficial camping spot with the entire internet).

There are some trails between the camping spot, and the town of Moab, Poison Spider Mesa is one I know of for sure.... however there aren't any trails within riding distance of the camping area.

Anyhow, send me a PM, and I'll tell you the campsite info, and we can also exchange numbers (though I lost my cellphone in Moab this weekend).

Hopefully we can hit the trails together soon!

Members who have read this thread: 0