March trail conditions in Moab- Mtbr.com
    yep

March trail conditions in Moab

I normally don't get down to Moab until April each year, but I'll be heading down there in a couple weeks and am curious what the trail conditions are usually like that time of year.

Hoping to hit up Ahab if its good and some Mag 7 stuff mostly. Any ideas how those trails will be? It looks like Moab is getting some precipitation right now. Does it usually melt off pretty quick?

Also, what are some of the best campgrounds in the area? I usually stay at a tent campground in town, but they wont be open yet so I'm looking to camp by the river a couple nights. I see campers all over the river, just wondering which ones are the nicest.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Well, a bunch of locals were just out yesterday riding. Check out the photos on https://www.facebook.com/MoabMBA
    Get your ride on!
    Come meet in Moab.
    Mix Business with Pleasure.
    Moab Meetings & Events Aid

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Conditions can vary anywhere in the desert this time of year. I was supposed to be there this week but postponed my trip to late April and will go to the Fruita Fat Tire Festival besides Moab.

Good camping with showers at Canyonlands RV Park downtown near the site you normally camp at and at Moab Valley RV Resort. Canyonlands has heavy shade but Moab Valley has great views. Moab Valley has a large hot tub.

KOA south of Moab has great views and nice sites but the bathrooms are rather small and a pain if they are crowded.

Slick Rock Campground isn't as well maintained as the others but has 3 hot tubs and is a little cheaper. Lots of shade which isn't a big deal in March.

There are primitive camps near the Slick Rock Trail and up and down the Colorado River.

Hope that helps.

Desert Seeker
    As of now, the trails you mention are all fine. Warm and rainy here yesterday (Monday). The seven day outlook calls for sun and a warming trend so unless something freaky happens, things should be looking good in a couple of weeks. I don't know much about the camping scene.

Resident Gear Head
    How is camping in March? My friend and I are headed there in a tight budget. Reserved a cheap room at Lazy lizard hostel but only for one night. They have camp sights available for the other night we will be in Moab. Im guessing temps in the 60s during the day and low 30s at night?
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Do you think Hazard county will be rideable or the new Jimmy Keen trail the last week this March?

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by Waafoo View Post
    Do you think Hazard county will be rideable or the new Jimmy Keen trail the last week this March?
    Doubtful. There's about 3 feet of snow around 10k feet. Not likely to melt off that soon.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Anyone know what the trails are like right now? All GTG?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    BIke shuttles are dropping off at Kokopelli, everything uphill is in snow. Such a lot of single track everywhere else.
    Print the maps on this Moab Mountain Biking Trails - Moab mountain bike trail information and maps. or buy the individual area maps from Moab's bike shops for $2 - $3, money that goes to the Moab Trail Mix, the organization building and maintaining the trails here.
    Get your ride on!
    Come meet in Moab.

mtbr member
    Thanks! Heading out there this weekend, first time ever!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    it is busy, busy despite the forecast of scattered showers. campgrounds are filling by 1-3 PM, so you know. Tent campers are required to have a portable toilet, so those BLM places with pit toilets is the best. See someone in one car with bikes? get friendly, ask to join them, is what I would do. Bring extra treats to share?
    BLM Campgrounds surrounding Moab, Utah
    Get your ride on!
    Come meet in Moab.