Mag 7 or Slickrock: Moab solo newb- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Mag 7 or Slickrock: Moab solo newb

Moab veterans. I have the option to be dropped off to ride either Mag 7 or Slickrock and then ride back into town. I'm an experienced intermediate rider that has fun with blues/blacks trails. I don't jump.

I'll be riding solo - so even though Mag 7 looks doable at my abilities, some parts (from videos) seem a bit sketch to be riding solo for the first time.

Is Slickrock a good option to ride solo on? Any other options?

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    If your thinking of adding the Gold Bar rim/ Portal section to your Mag 7 ride I would not do that solo your first time out here. If your going to loop various trails in the Gemini Bridges area then drop down Gemini Bridges Rd. To the bike trail that would be a reasonable solo ride. There will be other riders in the area and itís not as remote or hazardous.
    Slickrock is bumper to bumper so thatís no issue riding solo either.

Enjoy

mtbr member
    I've done Mag 7 (including gold bar and portal) solo, and only had one small crash! But I do a fair amount of solo riding when on vacation/traveling. There weren't to many people once I got onto Bar rim, but it was a bit off season. The main thing would be to know your abilities. I walked appropriate sections of portal, as they were beyond my skill level. But there wasn't really anything that risky to walk. So if you do it right, you should be ok.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    If your thinking of adding the Gold Bar rim/ Portal section to your Mag 7 ride I would not do that solo your first time out here. If your going to loop various trails in the Gemini Bridges area then drop down Gemini Bridges Rd. To the bike trail that would be a reasonable solo ride. There will be other riders in the area and itís not as remote or hazardous.
    Slickrock is bumper to bumper so thatís no issue riding solo either.

Enjoy
    Yes....I think it was the Portal trail section that looked sketch from the videos. That looks like the only option to drop back into town? I see Gemini Bridges Rd from the maps does meander back into town...but looks like a good 18-20miles???

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Yes....I think it was the Portal trail section that looked sketch from the videos. That looks like the only option to drop back into town? I see Gemini Bridges Rd from the maps does meander back into town...but looks like a good 18-20miles???
    Gemini winds back to down to hwy 191, hit the bike trail at the edge of the freeway and take it all the way back into town. As stated above, you could probably handle Gold Bar Portal solo as far as difficulty, but depending on when you do it the remoteness adds to the risk. Any help is four + hours away if you have a dibilitating injury, IF you have cell service.......
    If itís busy you might be able to hook up with another group on your shuttle that might let you tag along, problem solved.

mtbr member
    I love mag 7 to town with GB ST and Portal but it is a big ride. The other the thing to consider is Gold Bar ST can be a bit hard to follow in places if you don't know your way. If you end up slogging up and down the Gold Bar jeep road instead or wander off towards Poison Spider it can get very long.

Still, if you have a good sense of trail finding and a trailforks/mtbproject trails app, and willing to walk a few parts you're not comfortable with, it's way worth the ride.

OTOH: If it is your first time to Moab, Slick Rock is definitely worth doing. Spectacular views and otherworldly landscape.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just to note: Mag 7 proper is like 2x longer than Slickrock, just on mileage. Probably more like 2.5x to 3x on a time scale.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Also since you asked for other options: I often get dropped out at the Moab Brand Trails (Bar M) then ride back into town. You can mix and match a ton of different trails and difficulties.

mtbr member
    Slickrock is really cool and the epitome of a true classic for the first timer. With that said mag 7 is one of if not my most favorite ride. It's awesome and I say go for it.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Do you only have one day? Slickrock is virtually in town - so zero point to getting dropped off there. Milt's - practice loop - Milt's takes less than an hour.

For a first timer I'd say get dropped at 313/GBR and do upper Mag7, then exit down Gemini Bridges. If you're still feeling strong hit a few of the trails at Brands on your way past. There will be other bikers and jeeps and stuff for all of that ride. Problem with Portal is there are zero bailouts - one you start, you're committed - and it is often deserted.

(p.s. The distance from where you exit the mag7 trails back to town looks long; but it's almost all downhill. If you do Portal, the ride back to town is all flat).

mtbr member
    I just got back from Moab and did a nice figure 8 up at the Mag7 trails. Go down to Arth's corner and park there. Go up Getaway, down Bull Run until you get back to Arth's. From there I rode clockwise down Arth's-Little Canyon and up Great Escape. You could add a short out and back on Gold Bar, if that isn't enough.

For Slickrock, I usually start out on the practice loop and then ride SR just to add a little distance. SR isn't that long of a ride, though it's quite strenuous.

I just noticed you said you'd be dropped off....no car? If that's the case, SR may be easier, logistically. From the bottom of Little Canyon, you can always ride down the road 4 miles or so to 191 if you were concerned about Portal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well...I didn't mention this for PM ride of full day of riding. AM I will be doing flattish Dead Horse point tour with my wife. 15mile loop?

Mag 7 is closer but we need to drop my wife back in town anyway. Just don't want to in over my head solo at altitude first time at Moab. So I am leaning towards Slickrock as my PM ride.

mtbr member
    Well that makes it easy. There is no way anyone is going to recommend you do Dead Horse with your wife then move over to Mag 7.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Steezus View Post
    Well that makes it easy. There is no way anyone is going to recommend you do Dead Horse with your wife then move over to Mag 7.
    Yep! No question. But you really should get out to Mag 7 for Gold Bar Rim and Portal -- I liked it even more than the enchilada zone (though I've only ever ridden it from Hazard County).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Just don't want to in over my head solo at altitude first time at Moab. So I am leaning towards Slickrock as my PM ride.
    Had a chuckle, Re: "at altitude"....Moab is 2000 feet lower than my house. I feel like King Kong there (aerobically, not technically).
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 05-17-2018 at 08:35 AM.