tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004

mag 7 and navajo rocks questions

sorry to sound like a Moab rookie (which I am), just wondering a couple things for the trails I am thinking of riding when I go to Moab.

Navajo Rocks...it seems like there are a couple different places to park, which is the best/easiest and what trails make up the Navajo Rocks loop?

Mag 7: does this set of trails need to be shuttled? ...I'm sure it can be, but is it the norm? I'm not looking to climb to die, we only have one car and just wanting to double check before paying for a shuttle.

Also, can Mag 7 be done without Portal? If so, how does that work? The guy I am riding with will not feel comfortable on it, guaranteed!!

Sorry for the probably obvious questions, just can't seem to find the answers.

As always thank you in advance for any insight/advice you can give.
    -tep
    oldmanjusthavingfunontwowheelsurbandirtandroad

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I just got back from there.....been many times, but for Jeep stuff. This was my first time mountain biking. From my perspective, for Navajo Rocks, I would park at the second parking lot, as you can make a figure 8 and end up back at the vehicle twice.....half way through the loop, and again if you make the entire loop. More experienced Moab goers may feel differently though......

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Navajo Rocks: park at the main parking lot @ mile post 15 (the second one you get to from town). It's bigger, better located, and has a toilet. It's at the center of the main figure-8 loop so all trails are close.

The entire loop is big and long; if you're not up for it all, the best sections to hit are Big Mesa (great mix of different types of trail, with spectacular and unique scenery) and Ramblin' (ride it downhill).

Mag 7 does not need to be shuttled at all. Park @ corner of 313 and Gemini Bridges road; ride down Getaway to Bull Run, down Bull Run (super high speed downhill romp), then back up Getaway (which is a mellow climb) to your car.

Alternately if you do shuttle Mag 7 - down Getaway to Bull Run / Great Escape and then exit via Little Canyon to Gemini Bridges road - which will dump you out on the bike path that parallels 191. You can literally coast back to town from there.

Buy the maps at good bike stores in town ($2, all of it goes to trail construction and maintenance). It's pretty impossible to get lost though - every trail is painted and there are signs and maps at every intersection.

trail gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by sunderland56 View Post
    Mag 7 does not need to be shuttled at all. Park @ corner of 313 and Gemini Bridges road; ride down Getaway to Bull Run, down Bull Run (super high speed downhill romp), then back up Getaway (which is a mellow climb) to your car.
    We did a variation of that twice. IIRC, we started from the Bull Run trailhead, and after Bull Run, we continued down Great Escape and turned around at Little Canyon. The climb up Getaway is pretty mellow and preferable to returning via the dusty roads.
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Iíve answered your questions for Navajo Rocks here https://youtu.be/BgU4EYirUMA

Mag 7 here https://youtu.be/XTqv0Zbyc0U

Camped in my van on South Klondike Road this evening. It has been raining and Jurassic mud is sticky. My bike shoes had to go under the van for the night. Rode Killer Bee today. That is a thrill!!
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

Desert Seeker
    Pretty well covered above. All that I will add is that as far as doing Mag 7 without a shuttle, I do not like to end my ride on a climb. I prefer to drive down Gemini Bridges Rd from the top and park in the middle of the system. Go up Getaway. At Bull Run intersection, add mileage by going up a relatively short, smooth bit of Gemini Bridges Rd (so as to not mess up folks coming down Getaway from the top). From the top of 313/Gemini Bridges Rd, take Getaway down to Bull Run to single-track connector (?) to car. That is about a 15 mile loop. You can add a Great Escape/Arth's loop in the beginning if you think you will want a longer ride but there is a fair bit of climbing just with the 15 mile loop I described.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by glesoine View Post
    add mileage by going up a relatively short, smooth bit of Gemini Bridges Rd.
    Unless you really like mixing it up with 18-wheel trucks and jeeps kicking up dust, I'd stick to Getaway. The crew at Trail Mix designed and built it as a two-way trail, to get people off the road - safer and way more enjoyable.

I see the same at Navajo Rocks - mountain bikers riding up the shoulder of Highway 313, when there are spectacular trails right there. Still haven't figured that one out.

trail gnome
    Forgot to add: when you are doing Mag7, do the short detour to the Gemini Bridges overlook. You won't regret it. IIRC, there are racks to place your bike, and it's a short walk to the bridges.
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

mtbr member
    My preferred routing for Navajo Rocks is also a figure 8 from the middle.
    I rode it a couple of days ago. Just my preference, you can go any direction you want....Ramblin'/Rocky Tops/Middle Earth clockwise and Big Mesa/Big Lonely/Coney Islands/Middle Earth counterclockwise which comes out to 19.7 miles. A popular variation seems to be to skip Middle Earth entirely and just make it a loop, but I like heading down Ramblin' and I prefer the CCW on Coney Islands because there's a really fun climb in that direction.
    https://www.relive.cc/view/1491847435

I agree with gleosine, etc., an easy way to get a fun portion of Mag 7 (2-5) is to just drive down to Arth's Corner, go up Getaway and back down Bull Run. You can add sections below, as well, like Great Escape and Little Canyon - Arth's.
    Here's a site with a map:
    Magnificent 7 Trail
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 04-09-2018 at 07:51 AM.

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004
    Thank you all for the advice and insight.

We have three days to ride...

First full day will be Navajo Rocks and then Mag 7...which sounds like a lot to me.

Mag 7 will definitely drive in and pedal up to end with a decent.

Our second day we are going out to Fruita/grand Junction to get a taste of those trails, along with some beers and a Hot Tomato pizza !!

Final day will be a shuttle from Kokopelli down UPS/LPS.

Sound decent? Too much?? Not enough??

One last question: For Navajo Rocks if we want to cut it short, cuz that sounds like a really big day for us, which loop, or which set of trails is more enjoyable/preferred??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Navajo Rocks and Mag 7 is a lot to bite off for one day unless you're in fantastic shape. Moab riding is different than other places in terms of how hard you have to work for your elevation gain. Most of the rides don't have a ton of elevation gain, but the climbing is techy, and requires a lot of anaerobic power ups so you'll feel like you climbed more than your altimeter says you did. With that said, I think Navajo Rocks is an ideal first day ride for Moab to get into "Moab-mode." It's moderately long (up to 20 miles) depending on how you ride it, gives a good taste of everything Moab has to offer, all without being too difficult (by Moab standards). Do most or all of Navajo Rocks on Day 1, and save Mag 7 for another day. If you really still feel like adding another ride, do Klonzo or some of the Klondike area where you can more easily control the length of the ride. Moab is to be savored.

If it's your first time to Moab and you only have three days, skip Fruita, or if you absolutely must go, do it on the last day. It's certainly not worth driving the hour and half each way on Day 2 just to drive back to Moab after your ride.

Fruita is great, don't get me wrong, but there is way more than 3 days of incredible riding to be had in Moab, I would say just stay put... Another must do is Hymasa-Ahab (if you felt like you wanted something a notch harder after doing Navajo Rocks). A step down in quality from those (but still great) are Klondike area, Klonzo (less rock and more dirt singletrack), and don't forget about Slickrock (yeah, it's not as popular as it once was, but it's still amazing and unique).

mtbr member
    ^^
    Yeah, combining Navajo Rocks and beer is about my limit. I'd also skip Fruita and concentrate on Moab. You could combine an early Porcupine ride with about anything in the afternoon, as long as it's not crazy hard or long. Unless it's the Whole Enchilada, Porcupine just isn't that much work or that long. The worst part is riding back to town and now that they have the bike trail, that has gotten better.

I also like Slick Rock. It's not that long. I do the practice loop + the main ride. If you just did the main ride, it would be under 2 hours.

Also, as Padls says, Hymasa/Ahab is pretty fun. If you really want to test your uphill skills, I'd skip Hymasa and go up the jeep road, though.

When are you going?
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 04-10-2018 at 08:14 AM.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    And you can connect Navajo Rocks and Mag 7 by using Chisholm and/ or 7-up for larger loops. Parking at the upper Rocks parking lot is a good location to start from to do this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Padlz View Post
    Navajo Rocks and Mag 7 is a lot to bite off for one day unless you're in fantastic shape. Moab riding is different than other places in terms of how hard you have to work for your elevation gain. Most of the rides don't have a ton of elevation gain, but the climbing is techy, and requires a lot of anaerobic power ups so you'll feel like you climbed more than your altimeter says you did.

Hah! I always thought Moab was the only place where it seemed like my elevation gain on my GPS seems like more than I thought it was going to be. Everywhere else, it seems like less. That's probably because the climbing in Moab is so awesome though. Your comments on Fruita are spot-on.

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the input, I was thinking that Navajo Rocks and Mag 7 would be too much in one day...

We have a shuttle reserved Fri am to ride from Kokopelli down, would it be too much if we did Mag 7 later in the day?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tep View Post
    Thanks for the input, I was thinking that Navajo Rocks and Mag 7 would be too much in one day...

We have a shuttle reserved Fri am to ride from Kokopelli down, would it be too much if we did Mag 7 later in the day?

Look at this site. Really. Consider it a homework assignment. Only you can decide if you want to go on a 26 mile one way ride after riding down from Kokopelli.
    Moab Area Trails

mtbr member
    Lol...Moab in a day!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Lol...Moab in a day!
    Yeah, we see this endlessly. It reminds me of Europeans trying to see all the attractions of the U.S. West in a week. They donít get the scale.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    I did 3 days last October. Solo

Day 1- 5 hour drive then Slickrock
    Day2- TWE
    Day3- Mag 7 then 5 hours home

If I could change anything it would have been to have a day off in between. I was bruised and beat. Plus I hadnít factored in having time for maintenance (ended up having to rent a bike on the last day). This year Iím planning more time, maybe 5 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trail gnome
    First trip, we did 3 days of riding (Slickrock, Mag 7, and TWE).

Second trip, we did 6 days of riding (Fruita Horsethief Bench, Klondike network, Mag 7, Slickrock, TWE, Hymasa & Captain Ahab, and some of Pipe Dream & Moab Brands as 2nd rides of the day)

We are going back in May for 10 days this time, and we still won't have time to cover everything. We may get all the classic "must rides" in, but there will be loads of lesser known or less popular rides we won't have time for. Rides that would be considered epic "must rides" if they were in my backyard. There is just so much there.

When we retire, we plan to come back and spend a month or two exploring just Moab. Maybe then we'll come close to riding most of what Moab has to offer.