Mag 7?....meh- Mtbr.com

Thread: Mag 7?....meh

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Mag 7?....meh

I am taking a group of 10-14 strong intermediate riders to Moab next week and we have been tossing around the idea of riding Mag 7. I rode here last year and was not very impressed. We took a shuttle, road the single track and exited after Little Canyon to HWY 191 via the fire road (Gemini Bridges?). For us, it was extremely sandy, pretty flat and somewhat boring aside from the views. I loved the single track leading up to this point, but it seemed as though more of the ride was this fire road than single track. So I am wondering if the way to do this trail is to continue on to golden spike, PSM etc...? I keep seeing that this trail is a top recommendation and MTBproject.com ranks it as the #1 trail in Moab. So if anyone cares to sell me on this trail, that would be awesome. Maybe we went the wrong way or maybe my perspective was just off, I don't know. Any thoughts? Thanks.

mtbr member
    What you rode, although commonly referred to as MAG 7, isn't the entire MAG 7 trail.
    Consider it MAG 4 or some such when you bail out the jeep road.
    The bailout on the Gemini Jeep road is a killjoy after rolling through the upper slick rock and single track sections.
    MAG 7 proper continues out to the Portal or Poison Spider-take your pick. There are a few way to get there. Depending on which way you go, the feel of the ride can change drastically when you start climbing towards the rim.
    Magnificent 7 Trail
    Alternately, you can make a pretty good XC loop by combing the upper trail options and staying on the upper sections and not venturing towards Golden Spike. Bull Run/Great Escape/Little Canyon/Arth's/Getaway or some variation to make a loop.

mtbr member
    I'd second the possibility of doing a loop on the upper sections. If you park at the gemini bridges parking area you can make it so that you're not stuck with a long climb at the end of the ride.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ok, well that all makes sense. So what is the "Epic" route that I should do? I have done neither portal or poison spider, but am open to taking the crew out there. Or is the preferred ride just looping back to the trail head? Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    The link above has the official Mag 7 to Portal route.
    Bull Run or Getaway at the beginning-up to you. The full MAG 7 ride won't even feel like it starts till you get up on Gold Bar.
    There are other options that you'll see when you're up on Gold Bar.
    Not uncommon for riders to get " lost" for a bit in the last half of the ride.
    Depending on route chosen, your crew should be fit and have excellent tech riding skills.
    Moderate fitness, determination, and a willingness to walk will get intermediate riders through though.
    Portal is the better exit.
    It will feel like a LONG pedal back to town if you don't have a vehicle waiting for you.

Desert Seeker
    I think there are a couple of reasons that most people do not do the whole Mag 7. As said above, it would be an unpleasant experience to have to bike back to town after exiting the Portal or Poison Spider. Second, the climb up Gold Bar is pretty stiff and route finding becomes much more difficult. The Portal has some crazy exposure and the lower half of the trail is very advanced on the technical. Intermediate riders may not really enjoy it.

When I do a loop on Mag 7, I like to drive in the lower Gemini Bridges road and park at the bottom of the Gold Bar (or Golden Spike) trail. Ride up the trails on the right side of the Bridges road and back down the trails on the left side. Gets the climbing done in the beginning.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I liked the trails pretty well.

This loop is "upside down" (decend, then climb) ... only negative in my view.

Mag 7?....meh-screenshot-area-2014-04-23-105041.jpg

Probably 90% singletrack. No shuttle. 3 hours?

Real general directions: start from Mineral road. down Mag 7, Arths, back on Great Escape.

I would like to check out the Portal version some day...

Paste eater
    You exited just as it gets good

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the info...at this point, the plan is to wing-it when we get there. I will update when we return. Either way, Moab is phenomenal.

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    This might come too late to be of any help to you, but I've been riding in Moab regularly for about 10 years and consider myself a pretty advanced rider. I love Mag-7, but pretty much no matter how you end it, in my opinion, it's anti-climactic. I hate the Portal. Unless you have a death wish there are many sections of it that are un-rideable. I like a good flowy downhill to end a ride on, and even the rideable/non-deadly sections of the Portal are very technical so you pick your way down slowly and carefully. If that's your thing (many say they love it) then go for it. Poison Spider is probably the best route out for a rider like myself but you'll find a lot of sand that way. It's not as bad as Gemini Bridges though. The climb up to Gold Bar can be a little confusing but it's a fun, tough aerobic challenge, and the ride along the Rim is just more of the Bull Run/Little Canyon type stuff you were doing before, with occasional views over the edge. Just enjoy the ride, and don't get hung up on the ending.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Late to the party here.

The original Mag 7 is probably the most technically demanding route in the Moab area, besides being long and committing. It is shrouded somewhat in mystery as portions of it traverses what governing entities call environmentally sensitive terrain, and as such has become more or less illegal. The alternative to this renegade section, the Golden Spike jeep trail, is even more physically demanding albeit technically easier. Route finding is also an increased issue if going this way.

Either way, the full Mag 7 is an unforgettable trail. To do a loop and elevate it to almost epic status, park at the bottom of Poison Spider, then pedal out Potash and up Long Canyon to the top of Mag 7. Follow Bull Run et al down, climb up to Gold Bar Rim, traverse over to Poison Spider and back to the car.
    Last edited by jan_nikolajsen; 05-29-2014 at 12:34 PM.

mtbr member
    I miss Blue Dot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan View Post
    I miss Blue Dot.
    Blue dot is still there. Just "saw it from a distance....." a month ago when we were down there.

Members who have read this thread: 0