Looking for something different in Moab- Mtbr.com
    dead weight
    Dec 2003

Looking for something different in Moab

I've been to Moab three times and am looking for something new, but also fun. I'm not interested in riding multiple miles in deep sand just for the sake of something new.

My favorites, are Amassa Back and Blue Dot. I'll be out there April 17th - April 25th, so I can't go too high in the La Sals. I'll also be in a mini van so I can't drive in sand to get to the trail.

Trails I've already ridden:
    - the brand trails
    - bartlett
    - sovereign
    - klondike, baby steps
    - gemini - goldbar - blue dot - portal
    - porc (from kokopelli down ups, lps, porc)
    - poison spider
    - slickrock
    - amassa back
    - rock stacker
    - jackson
    - flat pass

So, what other trails would be worth exploring? I'd like to keep it legal if possible. Feel free to PM if you want the trail kept off the internet.

Thanks.

Jack
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Other options I have enjoyed in the past not in your existing list:
    - Top of the World (tough climb up, excellent fun down - bit of a drive to get to but good to consider on the way to or from fruita)
    - Eagles Rest (bit sandy to start on the jeep road but fun and different being on that side of the Gemini Bridges Rd.
    - Porcupine Race Course shuttles (start at lazy man's, end at the water tanks, rinse/repeat)
    - Porcupine Super-D shuttles (start at LPS cattle grate, end at the water tanks)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

White Rim?

I don't know if scenery fits into how you rate rides, but the White Rim is certainly scenic. It lacks the technical as it's mostly what I would consider rolling up or down gravel road to a dirt/slick rock mix.

What is does provide if you do it WRIAD style is commitment for a 100 miles in one sitting. I think there are 3 or 4 climbs with the climb out (starting out on Safer and ending by climbing out from the Green) being the hardest. The other middle climbs weren't really significant compared to the last climb out. There's no water source to speak of ether, but anyway, I like long, endurance type rides, whether technical or not.

THe kokopelli from Dewey Bridge to Moab is another sweet long ride that I like.

That's my two cents.

Picture Unrelated
    Why not expand your reach over to Fruita and Grand Junction? They're really not that far away and trails are certainly worth the trip.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    Top of the World sounds interesting.

White rim is scenic, but I'm looking for more technical riding.

I've ridden a lot in Fruita and Grand Junction too. I usually spend 4 days riding Moab and 3 days riding Fruita / Grand Junction on my vacation with lots of miles each day. I've heard about other trails in Moab, but don't know the full story so I'm hoping someone will clue me in. I might opt for a ride in Rabbit Valley or Zion Curtain, but Moab is more convenient from where I'll be based.

Thanks.

Jack

banned
    JFNC:

If you have been reading the Whole Enchilada thread you know that Moab has become more unfriendly to mountain biking. The landmanagers of the Blue Dot and Gold Bar Rim to Portal are on a mission to keep mountain bikers off those trails as well as others that you did not mention in your post. Locals are unwilling to share their special rides, so you are stuck riding the same old trails and jeep roads.

With the late winter the upper elevation trails will be unrideable and all the lower altitude secret trails are a bust if you are non-local. Without local knowlege LPS and Porcupine are your best option for your time frame.

Next year try out Sedona it has many new singletrack trails that are real technical and the landmanager is pro-mountain biking so you don't have to worry about someone jumping out of the bushes and writing you a ticket for riding a kick ass non-system trail like the Blue Dot. Just consider yourself fortunate that you got a chance to ride that trail before it was permanently SHUT DOWN. Too bad you didn't get a chance to ride some of the other stuff because it sounds like you would have really liked them due to their technical nature.

TD

mtbr member
    It sounds like you have ridden most of the Moab trails. You should try Saint George, Fruita, or Vernal.

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    Thanks for the info/straight talk. I spent about 5 days in Sedona about 6 years ago. It was nice, but no Moab. Most of the Sedona ledges were drops to flat with sketchy take offs and landings. Moab seems to have more trannys. I understand there have been new trails established in Sedona so it's probably worth another visit. St George is also on the hit list. I've never been there but might visit this fall. I'll be in the Moab/Fruita area tomorrow afternoon!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFromNC
    Thanks for the info/straight talk. I spent about 5 days in Sedona about 6 years ago. It was nice, but no Moab. Most of the Sedona ledges were drops to flat with sketchy take offs and landings. Moab seems to have more trannys. I understand there have been new trails established in Sedona so it's probably worth another visit. St George is also on the hit list. I've never been there but might visit this fall. I'll be in the Moab/Fruita area tomorrow afternoon!
    JFN:

You are correct about the tranny landings in Sedona, most suck. That being said, there is a new jump trail in the South Sedona area called Beaver Flat. I have never ridden it, but I know the locals who do and they think it's pretty cool especially if you like to go BIG..

We have about eight new tails since you were last here, and they aren't highballer like Porcupine Rim and the return on Amassa Back, but they certainly are as technical as the lower Porcupine singletrack section with equal or more exposure.

You are correct about the tranny landings in Sedona, most suck. That being said, there is a new jump trail in the South Sedona area called Beaver Flat. I have never ridden it, but I know the locals who do and they think it's pretty cool especially if you like to go BIG.

We have about eight new tails since you were last here, and they aren't highballer like Porcupine Rim and the return on Amassa Back, but they certainly are as technical as the lower Porcupine singletrack section with equal or more exposure.

Since there isn't much shuttling in Sedona most of the downhill riding is from having to ride uphill to earn the downhill sections. Sedona is not for the resportorialy challenged.

There is a new trail that has a lot of drop-offs next to it, but the current trail is so fun and flowy, no one has taken the time to search out the cool drop sections, which I am sure, are out there. It's pretty much all slickrock so if you blew the landing you better be geared up.

Have fun in Moab, let us know how it went.

TD

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    Thanks again TD, I very seldom shuttle. Riding uphill is no problem for us. Sedona will be a bit hot in the summer, but maybe fall or next spring. Again, thanks for the info!

Members who have read this thread: 0