Looking for guide&bike hurricane/zion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Looking for guide&bike hurricane/zion

hi,

I'm from the netherlands and will be doing a round trip SW USA by rv.
    Really, really want to go mountainbiking, am planning for half a day near Zion. (Dont think my wife and kids would accept me being riding much more)
    But it sounds like a really, really stupid idea to do that alone in the desert.
    so i"m looking for a guide or a riding buddy, or guide with Group ride which i can join. Was not planning on hiring a private guide for 300 bucks if a can prevent that..
    Who should i contact?

Will be there just before memorial day (schedule is still fluid).
    i am a 36 year old male, fit, ride XC including competitions, no downhill or real trail experience (not to many rocks and mountains where i"m from) Can handle a decent drop, a loosy bunnyhop, and cant jump shit.

Peter

mtbr member
    Lochnes....you have (2) options and either way, you should be looking to rent a bike from the Over the Edge bike shop in Hurricane. I would contact them soon to secure a bike of your choosing as memorial Day is a HUGE holiday out here. The only rent nice and SUPER nice bikes.

Anyway, option #1 *IF* you want to ride on Saturday is to go out on the group ride with the Over the Edge shop. They go out to a new location every Saturday and they will have no problem finding you a ride to the trailhead as well. There are usually 10-15 people on the Saturday rides. We go out with them every time we're there...including this week when we head out to Grafton Mesa.

Option #2 is to contact silentfoe here on the board. I'm sure he will post up and you can sen him a private message to discuss his rates. That way you would have a completely PRIVATE tour to go at your own pace.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Agree. Both options are good. Over The Edge sports (OTE) has a great group of guys, passionate about the sport who would love to help you out!
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 04-19-2017 at 06:44 AM.

Your Best Friend
    Hi there. Just saw this. We'd be happy to help and our rates are nowhere near what you're fearing. Www.utahmountainbikingadventures.com

I apologize in advance for posting a link here but I'm figuring I'm safe from the spam police since we were suggested by others first.

Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Your Best Friend
    One other thing. OTE has awesome rental bikes for great prices. Definitely use them. As far as the shop rides go, especially if you carpool with someone else. They can be all day affairs. They leave at 10am and will often not return until well after 3pm. That may not work out so well. They also often do techier (not a real word) stuff like Little Creek, Gooseberry or Guacamole. Those don't sound like they're up your alley.

mtbr member
    I don't suppose you'll be passing through Moab, will you? If you are interested in easier rides, it may be a better option. My wife likes Moab more than Hurricane for easier rides. There are easy rides in Hurricane, she just doesn't find them very interesting compared to Moab.

I'm sure Silentfoe has a way better perspective on this, though. One nice thing about having a guide is that I'm guessing the experience will significantly improve your skills!

Your Best Friend
    The Hurricane area still doesn't have the depth of trails that Moab does. We haven't been doing this as long but we are growing. New trails are being built all the time and we've learned that we need more beginner/intermediate trails. Our new Wire Mesa trail has been receiving glowing reviews. You should take your wife on it next time you're out here. It has spectacular views.

Having a guide is great for when you're new in an area and limited on time. We can make sure you hit the best trail, suited to your ability, in the best direction. No guessing or pulling out maps at intersections. We also take care of transportation and other minutiae. I would like to think that we're also cool people to hang out with and good riding companions.

Last edited by Silentfoe; 04-22-2017 at 08:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    The Hurricane are still doesn't have the depth of trails that Moab does. We haven't been doing this as long but we are growing. New trails are being built all the time and we've learned that we need more beginner/intermediate trails. Our new Wire Mesa trail has been receiving glowing reviews. You should take your wife on it next time you're out here. It has spectacular views.

I will. I have been to Switzerland to ride. Given my lack of knowledge on the trails and the logistics, I would definitely get a guide next time, so doing that coming from overseas makes sense.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    update here, just after posting i received an PM and we will probably ride together on the wednesday or thursday before Memorial Day.
    Thanks everybody for the help.

MSU:we couldnt fit Moab in the schedule as well, still on my bucket list so have to come back...After doing some other things like skiing in whistler, sailing in the bahama's and crossing Peru on horseback. Planning for a long life...Difficult rides are ok, the technical part is the part i like most about mountainbiking. As long as you are prepared to admit something is to difficult and turn back or walk it usually does not kill you. But that experience als taught me the value of a guide......

Silentfoe: if things for whatever reason do not work our, you'll be the first i will contact.

Your Best Friend
    Lochnes, make sure whoever pm'd you has guide permits. I have a hunch and I'd guess no.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lochnes View Post
    update here, just after posting i received an PM and we will probably ride together on the wednesday or thursday before Memorial Day.
    Thanks everybody for the help.

MSU:we couldnt fit Moab in the schedule as well, still on my bucket list so have to come back...After doing some other things like skiing in whistler, sailing in the bahama's and crossing Peru on horseback. Planning for a long life...Difficult rides are ok, the technical part is the part i like most about mountainbiking. As long as you are prepared to admit something is to difficult and turn back or walk it usually does not kill you. But that experience als taught me the value of a guide......

Silentfoe: if things for whatever reason do not work our, you'll be the first i will contact.
    Crossing Peru on horseback....that sounds pretty amazing!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lochnes View Post
    As long as you are prepared to admit something is to difficult and turn back or walk it usually does not kill you.
    Indeed...I walked several spots on the Grafton Mesa ride this weekend. There was one 'feature" where I was the ONLY one that didn't ride it.
    Carpe Diem!!

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Indeed...I walked several spots on the Grafton Mesa ride this weekend. There was one 'feature" where I was the ONLY one that didn't ride it.
    When you go on an OTE shop ride with Quentin, you're guaranteed to hit some very challenging sections. I learn a lot when I ride with those folks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    When you go on an OTE shop ride with Quentin, you're guaranteed to hit some very challenging sections. I learn a lot when I ride with those folks.

His wife was out there too. First time I've ridden with her. She impressed the heck out of me.
    Carpe Diem!!