Looking for easier rides for a Newbie near SLC or nearby- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Looking for easier rides for a Newbie near SLC or nearby

My GF is getting into mountain biking, We did the Farmington Flats section which is double track or fire roads, She did well and I was impressed with her stamina. I have tried to take her on some more rides but she has no technical skills and is intimidated by single track.

So I have been looking for similar trails, double track and fire roads, with not a whole lot of technical or climbs, I prefer something in the proximity of SLC but would be willing to travel on the weekends to check out other good trails. I appreciate any suggestions.
    Jordan
    Looking for the next bike!!!

Bored Carp
    Take her up to the Pipeline in Millcreek Canyon. Start at the top, at Elbow fork. Turn around before you get to the part that will feel "exposed" or "steep" to her (approx. half-way). For now, encourage her to walk anything that feels dangerous (and walk with her), but encourage her, and tell her that this sort of riding is within her grasp. Millcreek is a wide trail with forgiving features.

Second, and more important, get her out on some rides WITHOUT YOU. On Tuesday nights, 6pm, at White Pine in Park City, there is a 2 hour ride called the Sugar Ride. It is a women-only ride, and it divides up by ability. The lowest level beginner group is truly for beginners - there are lots of people in attendance for whom mountain biking is a new, scary adventure. The guides are all super friendly, they will take her on the easiest, mellowest trails in Park City, and will help her with the basics.

Show her this post, let her know that there is a big support network out there if she wants it, and she should feel free to ask questions in the Women's Lounge and the Beginner's Corner on this board, that is why they are there.

Cheers,
    C
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks Chuky,
    I will pass all this info on to her and show her this post. I used to pedal Pipeline all the time at the beginning of last season, but have not done it this year. I imagine the trail will intimidate her, I know the exposed section was walked by me last year when I started.

I have encouraged her to walk but have not walked these sections myself, that is a good idea.

The Tuesday night thing is exactly what I have been looking for, a supportive group without testosterone is exactly what she needs.

Thanks again.
    Looking for the next bike!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0