Looking for company, trip to moab for downhill biking- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Cool-blue Rhythm Looking for company, trip to moab for downhill biking

Hi!

In short:
    My friends backed out, I'm going downhill biking in moab the 10th of June and two weeks forward (to 24th June), and I don't want to bike alone. Now looking for fellow bikers who would be interested in biking with me.

In long:
    My name is Robert, 21 years old, from Umeå (north of Sweden). My English is not perfect but probably a lot better than the average tourist (I've studied at a high school for a year previously).

I have family in Texas which i am visiting this summer.
    My dream of many years has been to go back and bike in Utah with my own bike for more than one day (last time i was there I rented a bike for the one day I was there).

Plane tickets, bike, money saved up, its all set up and ready to go, no refunds. But my friends backed out...

I will be traveling from Texas, Frisco, Dallas, on the 10th of June and plan on staying for two weeks. Ill be living in tent and living cheap and spend money on shuttling and such instead. Maybe renting a tour guide for the a day or two in the beginning.
    Anyone interested in riding, even for only a day, is very welcome to join! The ultimate scenario would be if a group of people joined and we went as a group together.
    I know it will be hot during that time of the season, but I am currently studying theoretical physics at the local university and this is the only time i can spare for a trip like this.

I am slightly flexible, The dates can range from 10th of June to 7th of July, but i cant be gone for more than two weeks (and preferably not less :P). I figured the earlier the better (thinking of temperature) thus primarily the 10th-24th of June.

I ride a kona operator 2014 which I saved up to and bought specifically for this trip. I am not an expert in any way, Id say maybe slightly intermediate. I talked to a friend there and I can probably ride almost all major trails there without problem.

I will however adjust to whoever show up, if an expert shows up Ill step into next gear, if a beginner shows up we'll have a good time riding easier trails too. As long as I'm not biking alone (I do not wish to experience anything like the movie 127 hours...).

Thus: I'm looking for anyone, any number of people who want to ride downhill, shuttle up, and that can bike during specified dates. If you live along my route I can pick you up with your bike on the way to Utah from Texas and drop off on the way back.

Good day to you!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Robert,

First off, I'll ride with you!

But secondly, I'm sure you are going to wind up with a whole posse of people to ride with before you know it. You will NOT be alone at all! June is a long ways away from now, at least for me, but you are smart in planning ahead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Awesome!

I sure hope so, I figured there has got to be more people than me who'd want to ride during summer

Where are you from?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I live in Salt Lake City, a 4 hour drive to the NW of Moab. But I come down there regularly to ride. You'll probably wind up getting talked into riding elsewhere too, to get some alpine riding in while you are here (AKA: Park City, etc).

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Cool!
    Im up for anything thats good riding!
    You surely gave me back my hope now

mtbr member
    If you make it up to Park City during your visit, post again and there will be plenty of folks up here that will show you around.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I make several trips to Moab every year for MTB, know most of the main trail systems and very familiar with the area as far as where to camp and what not.

My first question is what trails do you plan on riding? Moab has some of the best trails in the country, but very, very little when it comes to "DH". Your Operator may be a bit much for most of the trials. I have asked all around, including here on the forums, local riders, all the shops, and I have never found a real "shuttle trail' anywhere there. They shuttle to the top of TWE or somewhere along the porcupine, weather depending, as well as Mag-7, but those are NOT DH trails. You can ride a DH bike but the climbs along the way will make you wish otherwise, especially in mid-June.

Depending on my work schedule and how quickly Burro pass becomes ride-able, I might be willing to make a trip out in June. My idea is to go up to the Hazard County trailhead and camp there, where it's not as hot. Shuttle up to the top of Burro, ride down to the bottom of Hazard and then back to camp. That way you can stay out of the heat mostly.

Anyways, you may want to research the trails and consider your bike choice.

Desert Seeker
    Robert, I'd be glad to get together with you for a ride or two. I live in Moab. Shoot me a PM when the time gets closer and we can exchange emails/phone #s.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    @MSU alum Cool, I might sneak by then!

@TheRage43, Thanks for the heads up, last time I was there i biked with friend there who showed me some trails that linked together from the top of a mountain closeby down to the river, about a 5 hour bike ride with only 3-4 climbs if I remember correctly, anyways my plan is to contact him once Im up there and hopefully he'll remember exactly where that was. I will take your advice and research some! As I remebered there were plenty of trails down from the mountain with not too many climbs, but I might be wrong. Ill look into it!

@glesoine Awesome! Will do!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    You are describing TWE, The Whole Enchilada. Great ride!

Moab Mountain Biking Trails - Moab mountain bike trail information and maps.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Re: Looking for company, trip to moab for downhill biking

Välkommen,

Oh how I love Sweden!! My father was born in Sweden and his side of the family still lives there. We visited them last summer. My grandmother lives in Gävle and has a summer home in Furuvik!! I've never been to northern Sweden but I've always wanted to and hopefully some day I will get up there. I definitely want to ride Järvsö bike park and Åre bike park!!

I live in Denver Colorado and we are planning a trip to Moab in August or September when it's a little cooler. My girlfriend and I love Moab. I've ridden there with my heavy DH bike as it's the only bike I've got. I still had tons of fun and I can't wait to go back.

It sounds like you are OK with driving so I would suggest heading east to Colorado and checking out some of our bike parks. I would be more then happy to ride with you here. Denver is about a 6 hour drive from Moab. Of course the mountain resorts like Keystone bike park, and Trestle bike park would only be about a 5 hour drive from Moab. I plan on getting a pass to Trestle so if you want to ride here I can get a good discount on a lift ticket for you. Lots of places to camp in the Colorado Rockies.

Let me know!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I happened upon this thread because I will be in Moab riding next week and was looking for recent postings about trails conditions, etc. To the OP, I really wish I could ride with you. Our group has been coming to Moab every May since 2002. At 21 you are oviously responsible and resourceful and while I am almost twice your age, I am in admiration of your drive and enthusiasm. The rest of you that have responded reinforce why I am a proud member of mtbr.com and why mountain biking truly is a brotherhood. RIDE ON!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    @Sk8er07999
    I am thinking of driving through colorado and stop there a few days on my way to moab, if you know any good places Im all up for riding with you there too!
    And if you ever find yourself in Sweden I'll show you some nice spots, like Åre (major dh site) and also some more local stuff if you're interested.
    I've never heard of trestle, but from theirt webpage it seems awesome! If you're still up for it once summer is here I'd love to stop by a few days and ride there with you and any other riders you might know!

@eBayRider I stumbled upon this forum actually, but now I'm glad I did!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Im heading out from dallas tomorrow! Finally, I cant wait!
    First stop will be Trestle bike park, Im aiming at being there saturday afternoon and start riding sunday. Anyone whos interested send me a pm or skype me;