Looking for camping that is at/on a trailhead so I can ride while my wife sleeps- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Looking for camping that is at/on a trailhead so I can ride while my wife sleeps

Seriously, she likes to sleep in and I get up early, so riding from the campsite is ideal.

We'll be set up for dry camping, though a pit toiley and a standpipe are always nice.

We're looking at Moab and Grand Junction, we could go further south if necessary, even Northern AZ, Northern NM

We are traveling from Central WA. We leave Saturday, March 28th, plannning to ride Antelope Island, then cruise into SLC to see the kids, then we go camp and ride.

Riding preferences: I'll ride anything solo, I like to climbs, I like technical riding, I ride with a dog and carry lots of water. When my wife is awake we ride a tandem, I can get us down most anything as long as she's not watching where I go

Any thoughts or suggested guide books?

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Well in Moab you have a variety of options, starting with the Sand Flats area where you can easily access the Slickrock trail. You can camp out off Hwy. 313 and access the Navajo Rocks trails or you can camp out near Dead Horse Point ( I don't think they allow camping in the park) and ride the intrepid trail system. Actually.........the more I think about it......you can camp within riding distance of all the trails! you just have to pick which system you want to be near. Capt. Ahab/ Amassa has camping nearby, the mountain trails have camping, Brand trails have nearby camping, so really you could camp and ride a different system every day, provided you can find an available site

It's going to Easter a Jeep Safari this week so I'm guessing ALL the camping spaces are taken, but the farther out you go from town, such as Klondike area or DeadHorse might have more availability.
    Enjoy your trip

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, in retrospect, we can choose to go anytime, so picking a popular weekend at a popuar place was a bad choice... maybe next year.

Any alternatives that would be less competition with the off roaders?

Would Grand Junction be any better? How about St George or further South?

Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    Well in Moab you have a variety of options, starting with the Sand Flats area where you can easily access the Slickrock trail. You can camp out off Hwy. 313 and access the Navajo Rocks trails or you can camp out near Dead Horse Point ( I don't think they allow camping in the park) and ride the intrepid trail system. Actually.........the more I think about it......you can camp within riding distance of all the trails! you just have to pick which system you want to be near. Capt. Ahab/ Amassa has camping nearby, the mountain trails have camping, Brand trails have nearby camping, so really you could camp and ride a different system every day, provided you can find an available site

It's going to Easter a Jeep Safari this week so I'm guessing ALL the camping spaces are taken, but the farther out you go from town, such as Klondike area or DeadHorse might have more availability.
    Enjoy your trip

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    I rode trails out Hwy 313 today and went through one campground that was completely empty, but it's Friday and may fill up late. I'm not aware of anything going on in Junction or Fruita so that might be a good alternative. Of all the weeks to pick Moab this is probably the worst

mtbr member
    Well, elsewhere on the Colorado page is a "Fruita/Grand Junction" conditions thread that you can look into. I'm in Park City at the moment and we got snow Monday & Tuesday. Al the dirt trails here are still wet according to the locals. Not sure if the storm went thru Fruita at all. That being said, if it's good to go, you can camp up at 18 Road and I've never seen anyplace with more dogs on the trails than in Fruita.

I know St George is dry as it has been in the 70's. Gooseberry fits your camping requirements but to be honest, I rarely see anybody riding with dogs out there. Not sure why that is?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    There are several places to camp but to have trails outside you tent I would go to 18 rd. Rode there 2 days ago and trails are very dry, almost too dry, but the camping is great. Don't go on Friday Saturday and expect good campsites though-very popular.

K&K
    Hey Ben, You still out, or done? We just finished up McDowell (outside Fountain Hills, near Phoenix), Hurricane, Grand Canyon, Sedona. Great trip. Hurricane (Gooseberry) was great fun! Did "Practice', "north rim" and a bit of "Windmill". Parts challenged us a bit but mostly rideable. Sedona, we did Deadman's, Aire and Cockscomb which were likewise doable on the tandem. GREAT campsites (dispersed) at all locations except McDowell. At Gooseberry, we were right on the rim. Grand Canyon (North Rim) was not exciting riding but great views. Sedona, we finally found an alternative to the commercial sites and camped west of town off of FSR 525, south after Boynton Rd. T.

Hope you're having/had a great trip!