Logan Where to ride ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Logan Where to ride ?

I'm going to be in Logan next week and would like to check out some location, no bike this trip however.

I will be in and out of Logan for several months and bringing my bike the next trip as I will be driving out !

Mostly looking for Cross Country trails as I lived in Denver for years but have been flat lander riding in Wisconsin so I'll find out how out of shape I am !

Thx

Your Best Friend
    Check out www.utahmountainbiking.com for local trail info or trailforks.com
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Check out Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs for local trail info or trailforks.com
    Thanks that awesome ! that made my weekend might have to buy a travel case for my bike ????

Your Best Friend
    Before you buy one, check with local shops, some have rental cases.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Before you buy one, check with local shops, some have rental cases.
    I live in Wisconsin and flying in next week then driving back here, must of my trip will be flying in for a week at a time during this project.

Also if I drove out to bring another company truck I would fly back to Wisconsin.

So I will eventually need one, I try to look for a used one first

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    One more ? When will the trails listed to OK to ride ? Id there still snow on some of the higher elevations ?

Your Best Friend
    Wild Rose Cycles in Salt Lake City rents Pika Sport cases for cheap and they are nice. If you are out here in a truck first, you could pick one up and fly back with it. They are soft sided and really light weight. I've used them a couple of times and was very happy with it.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin Cycle View Post
    One more ? When will the trails listed to OK to ride ? Id there still snow on some of the higher elevations ?
    June at the earliest for the highest stuff. Hit or miss until then.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Beware! Riding in Logan almost always involves "make your eyes bleed" kind of climbing. There are a few exceptions, but around 2K of vertical over 4-5 miles is kinda the norm around here. Green Canyon (one of the exceptions) is a good place to start. It sees more traffic than any other tail in the area (it's close to town) but it's a tame climb and fun to ride (it'll also be one of the first to clear of snow this spring...late April to early May). Two other must rides: Jardine Juniper and Stump Hollow. Both are pretty stiff climbs (Stump being the easier of the two) but well worth the effort, even if you have to walk a lot. Neither is very technical and both are super fun to descend. Jardine will be ridalbe mid to late May, Stump won't be clear until early to mid June. Not many options for another month or so.

BTW, there are a few bike shops in Logan. I'm pretty sure Al's Cyclery rents bikes (Specialized). You might also check with Wimmers Cycles (Santa Cruz), Sunrise Cyclery (Giant), and Joyride Bikes (Intense and Ibis).

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jboy71 View Post
    Beware! Riding in Logan almost always involves "make your eyes bleed" kind of climbing. There are a few exceptions, but around 2K of vertical over 4-5 miles is kinda the norm around here. Green Canyon (one of the exceptions) is a good place to start. It sees more traffic than any other tail in the area (it's close to town) but it's a tame climb and fun to ride (it'll also be one of the first to clear of snow this spring...late April to early May). Two other must rides: Jardine Juniper and Stump Hollow. Both are pretty stiff climbs (Stump being the easier of the two) but well worth the effort, even if you have to walk a lot. Neither is very technical and both are super fun to descend. Jardine will be ridalbe mid to late May, Stump won't be clear until early to mid June. Not many options for another month or so.

BTW, there are a few bike shops in Logan. I'm pretty sure Al's Cyclery rents bikes (Specialized). You might also check with Wimmers Cycles (Santa Cruz), Sunrise Cyclery (Giant), and Joyride Bikes (Intense and Ibis).
    Thx in Town Today With Bike going out tomorrow after work ! I drove in today through bear lake instead on goin though Ogden ,

beautiful nice being in the MTs miss Colorado big time after being in Wisconsin for 7 years !

mtbr member
    A few additions from a Logan native.

Logan is not a good place to ride early season. Mid May is the earliest you would get all the way up Green Canyon, with Jardine Juniper and Rick's Canyon opening up roughly in that same time frame depending on the winter. Stump Hollow will be a few weeks behind those.

Providence Canyon is typically clear even a bit earlier than Green.

You'll definitely do some climbing around here, but don't let others scare you off. It's stout at times, but manageable if you are in decent shape.

Richard's Hollow (as an out and back) is my favorite ride in the area, but it'll be snowy and muddy until June. Reply here if you want to set up a group ride. There's a ride just north of Logan (Smithfield) that's ready to ride now. Brutal climb (but fairly short) that involves walking for all but the most superhuman riders. Really fun descent along a ridge line.

Birch Canyon in Smithfield is also a very good option, but it'll follow the Green Canon, Providence Canyon timeline.

Now I'm just rambling......

Lastly, if you want to ride now, make the short drive to Ogden and ride the Bonneville Shoreline Trail. I just did 20 miles this past weekend and the trail is in perfect shape. Excellent early season riding there as it dries fast. Western exposure makes it very hot in the summer though.

Hit me up if you have any other questions.