Logan Utah living??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Logan Utah living??

I was wondering if any one had any info on the logan area? I am thinking of moving to the area in the spring, or any other nice utah cities to consider??

bog

mtbr member
    Do you like hellish winters, ATVs, and horses?
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

mtbr member

Coming from minnesota

So yes, yes, and I would like to learn. Anyways i have a opportunity to relocate for my job and the only stipulation is to be within 1 1/2 hours from the slc airport. I am trying to find a nice small town to move my family to, 2 young boys age 4 and 7. I am a little concerned about the " faith factor" and how it will affect my children. Me and my wife can do just fine, not real sociable, just really enjoy the outdoors!! It has been in the minus digits here for the last 16 days so the winters dont scare me too much.

bog

mtbr member
    If you don't mind the cold...I have a very obvious bias. I hate Logan with a strong passion, so always take what I say about it with a very large grain of salt.

The trails up there are "eh". They're not terrible by any means, but the SLC/Park City area has them beat hands down. Not a long of singletrack...lots of doubletrack and fireroads from ATVs and motos. If you enjoy road riding, there's a whole ton of it up there...seems everyone and their dog is a roadie. Very strong road scene. MTBers are more scarce.

Logan/Cache Valley has a strong "faith factor", but I think that's true of most small Utah cities. I'd lived in the Salt Lake suburbs all my life, moved there for a year at 17 and was mildly freaked out. Your kids may have a tough time adapting to that, not sure. They will likely feel excluded and "different". The schools and community definently seem polarized, but there's always exceptions to the rule. You'll probably have better luck with that staying within Logan itself and avoiding the surrounding bedroom communities that (along with their schools) are very Mormon-dominated.

If I might suggest another place here to look at, consider Heber City. It's about 20 minutes south of Park City, an hour from Salt Lake, and about 35 minutes from Provo. Nice town on the back side of the Wasatch Mountains with killer riding all around you. Cost of living is higher than Logan, but I don't think you'll have as big of a "faith factor" to contend with, as it's not as isolated as Logan, as well as it's proximity to Salt Lake and Park City. Also much prettier, IMHO.

mtbr member

thanks

Thanks for the info, i also looked at heber city and it looks nice. I might just end up in slc as well, i am coming out for a visit to check out some areas and see what i think. I f need be i will just have to put the kids in private school. Cant wait for the recreation out there!!

bog

Bend, OR
    The recreation certainly is top notch.

The only complaint I have about the SLC area is the air quality, which can be quite bad, depending on the weather. That's really only a winter problem though. Don't know if this concerns you. But if you were in Logan, don't think you'd have to worry. Also SLC is the least Mormon part of the state, if you're worried about that. I'd don't really notice the LDS influence, but I'm in college, so I can't really say what school is like for younger kids. But it definitely can't be beat if you like the outdoors.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Well I have lived in Logan for about 18 years and am a Mormon myself. There are plenty of non-LDS people around (my Dad included) and we all seem to get along quite well. We moved out here from NY when I was about 8 yrs old. Sure your kids might get invited to some church activities or whatever, but I think they would enjoy it here. Last I heard Logan's crime rate is half of Utah's crime rate which in and of itself is already quite low.

The place is growing, but we're nowhere near any freeways and for the most part it's a quiet little town. It's mostly a college town with Utah State University here. The town of Logan isn't all that bike friendly (i.e. lacking in bike paths, some narrow roads, etc.), but once you get out into the mountains you forget all about that. There is a decent ski resort 30 mins away and it's one of the lowest priced resorts in UT; Beaver Mtn.

It's easy to get to Salt Lake from here and Moab isn't too far away either. You can also head north easily to Idaho and Sun Valley, or Jackson in Wyoming. There are a few bike shops and regular group rides in the area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    here are some Logan pics taken by yours truly over the past year or so. The first three are Green Canyon and my trials bike, about 5 mins from my Logan home. The 4th pic is at USU during the fall, I was riding my bike home and snapped the pic, you can see the prominent Wellsville mtns in background. The last pic was a trials setup for a bike fair held at a Logan park a few months ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ISO Gems...
    Logan is a pretty awesome small city and there are many exploring opportunities that it offers up. Can't forget to mention Bear Lake which is situated east of Logan. If you're into sailing or any other watersports this place is really awesome and not too bogged down with people even in the summer months.

The times that I've run through Logan, it struck me as a place that I'd like to raise a family in. It's clean, very low crime rate, affordable homes...

Bogmonster, if I had the means to survive in Logan I'd move there in a heartbeat. As far as the quality of trails are concerned...blank canvas...there's tons of open space...

Here's some shots from my trip to Logan and Bear Lake in 2004....

D

1. The tractor is the tool of choice for hauling the toys out of the water.
    2. Looking east down onto Bear Lake.
    3. Doing some early morning exploring on top of Bear Lake before hitting the water.
    4. Lost somewhere in between Logan and Bear Lake.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dirty D; 02-17-2007 at 12:21 AM.

mtbr member

tough call

It seems there are so many great places to choose from!! I will just have to get out there and check the areas out!! It doesnt bother me to drive a little to get to the trails, i am used to driving at least a half hour here in mpls to get to some just okay trails. My main ride is a 29er ventana ss, but i am building up a 6x6 bike for moab and such.
    The alchohol thing doesnt bother me at all i will just have to stock the fridge! I dont really go out to the bar anymore so on that front i will be okay. My main concern os how my boys will be treated, they are already sad about leaving their friends, i would hate to have them left out just because of someones faith! I think we will enjoy wherever we choose, just love to get outside and roam....

bog

Bored Carp
    JMH and I moved here about 9 months ago from Los Angeles.

JMH lived in Logan for 2 years during college, and then left to go to another school. When we met, all he ever did was talk about what a great place Utah was, and how he wanted to move back someday. After 10 years together, some career building and an awesome (but expensive) period in LA, we decided it was time.

I was a bit nervous about a few things:

- I am originally from Seattle. I have a caffeine problem. Was I going to be able to get good coffee? The answer is yes. Really good coffee.

- What about the LDS factor? How would that affect my life? Answer: not at all. Utah is filled with people who live here because of the church, and with people who live here because of the outdoors, and with people who are here for both. People are friendly, happy and mellow, in general.

- What is up with the beer? Okay. People make way too big of a deal out of this. I am not in college and I no longer drink myself into a stupor. I like a good pilsner and love hefewiezen in the summer sun. These are both abundantly available, and if you look here, pretty much what you get anywhere else : http://www.utahbeers.com/faq.html

- what about my kids? Okay, this isn't from personal experience, but I have a few non-LDS ( scientist and lawyer type) friends with kids in the public system, and frankly, they aren't all that bummed about the experience. They say you just have to stay on top of what is going on in your kid's lives. Family is a priority in Utah.

- Logan vs. Heber vs. SLC.
    Logan is probably more like 2 hours to SLC. Small town, cute. We have a lot of friends that live idyllic suburban lives up there.
    Heber is closer to SLC, and has a heavy population of people who work at the resorts, but can't afford to live in Park City. Really pretty, in the mountains.
    SLC is the "big city". Heh. Cute. The first day I was here, I thought that it must be some kind of state holiday, becuse the roads were so empty. Nope. Just normal traffic. I laugh everytime someone tells me how bad the freeway is at rush hour, because, honey, you don't know bad till you know the 405 in SoCal. This is a very low stress city to live in.

You will love it here.

The trail behind our house in the Avenues neighborhood, in SLC, in winter and fall:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9169486...7594476028959/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9169486...7594360605143/

The Pipeline trail in SLC, in the fall:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9169486...7594314443733/

Deer Valley DH lift riding (25 min from SLC):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9169486...7594190255381/

The Moose! Hollow Trail:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...light=moose%21
    Last edited by chuky; 02-17-2007 at 09:44 AM.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I lived in Logan for two years while I went to USU. I enjoyed it well enough, but I much prefer Salt Lake City. Logan was a bit too isolated for my liking and l ran out of things to do after a while. The riding was beautiful but often muddy well into Summer and, as stated, lots of double track. Still nice though.

I have lived behind the Zion Curtain several times, so I am used to it now. I obviously have grown to love Utah culture or I wouldn't keep coming back. It's good that yoda2 has weighed in with his posts to offer his views. DrBoudreax is another great personality on and off the boards, he is a church member and will surely have some good info for you if he sees this thread.

I think in the end, though, that Bleu is correct. He lived in Logan more recently than I did. His description of Heber is also accurate. If you are concerned about Utah Life, I suggest you start in the shallow end of the pool. Hedge your bets and go straight to the "liberal corridor" of SLC-ParkCity-Heber. The riding is much better there anyway, and this is the MTBR board after all!

JMH
    Last edited by JMH; 02-17-2007 at 09:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

I agree with everyone

My wife and I moved to Logan about 4 years ago from North Carolina. I agree with the fact that Utah is an outdoor Mecca, and if that is a major priority in your life like it is ours, you cannot beat it. As far as the culture goes, there is no doubt that it is different than most other places. When considering Logan please remember you are 1 1/2 hours from a major city. This place has everything you NEED, but is very isolated as far as different cultures and ideals. The biggest thing we noticed was that people are nice to you, but you have to work harder to get involved in your community because you are not part of the "inner circle".

I would HIGHLY suggest trying to find someone who moved here from someplace else who has kids and talk to them. I would also suggest coming out here for an extended stay before moving. This is a charming town to visit no doubt, but the lack of separation between the church and every other aspect of daily life can wear on you after a while, especially if you are not involved in the LDS religion.

If we had to do it again, I don't think that we would have moved to Logan, but rather the SLC area or Park City area like others have suggested.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Interesting thread, I've actually been offered a graduate position at USU and will be visiting there in the next couple weeks, I've been through the area on the way down to SLC but never spent any time there, be interesting to check the place out. Coming from the upper midwest though I have to admit at first glance the climate doesn't appear to be quite the warm desert I was attracted to the SW for.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Another Strike

Yeah, and I almost forgot that they don't have Free Beer at the Owl anymore. Sigh...

JMH

Who's that guy?
    Okay. I gues I better jump in here too...

I have lived in Logan for 16 years, am not LDS and have raised a daughter here.
    Is Logan the perfect town? No. Is it torture to live here? No.

The outdoor stuff is amazing. Ya, it gets cold in winter but I am originally from Canada so I am not sure what all the whining is about. We really have everything here. Biking, hiking, fishing (zzz) in summer. Just don't go riding during 'the hunt'. That can be a wee bit scary. Skiing of all kinds in winter.
    If you are into the mechanized offroad stuff, it offers a lot of that as well. ATVs in summer and sledding in winter is huge.

I am not sure where the knock on our trails is coming from. I can go riding everyday for a couple of weeks and not ride the same singletrack. There are a TON of trails here. One thing I will say though...there are more trails here than out-of-towners know about. utahmountianbiking.com only has a fraction of our trails listed (which is not a bad thing).
    Yup, some trails are double track and get destroyed by quads. Sad but that's the way it is.
    Also, there is never an issue with trail overuse. I have been riding on a few trails in the SLC are and was shocked at the biking traffic. To the point that it is almost dangerous. (Mueller Park mostly)

As far as Logan living goes...

My daughter is not LDS and that has never been a problem. I have heard stories of LDS families not letting their kids play with non LDS kids. I haven't seen it. My daughter is in high school now and has a few LDS friends but mostly non-LDS. Logan is predominantly mormon but with the university here there is a large non-mormon population as well.

Another plus is the very low crime rate. In fact, a few years ago, the Logan area had the lowest crime rate in the country for urban areas over 100,000 people (this includes the surounding towns).

Can Logan be boring? Oooooooh ya. If you enjoy going out and boozing it up and clubbing, this is NOT the place. This town really does shut down after 9pm. Well, 'cept for wal-mart, that is open 24 hours. We don't have a great selection of nice restaurants or shops and other cultural stuff is limited. This is a VERY family oriented town. When people are wanting to do the cultural stuff or go to a great restaurant, everyone heads south. The line-up of cars leaving Logan on a Friday night is quite funny.

So basically, it's all about priorities. I like it here but it took some getting used to for this city boy. However! I am currently back in school to get another degree and when my daughter goes off to college herself somewhere, I plan on leaving. Mostly just for a change and to go where the jobs are. Try something new. Maybe Vegas...its the polar opposite of Logan.

Message me if you have any other questions.

Slow and steady gets you...7th place.

"Hey! Where is everybody going??"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkan
    This town really does shut down after 9pm. Well, 'cept for wal-mart, that is open 24 hours
    We'd have old-people courtesy scooter circuit races through the store at 2 AM for entertainment.

The cops came on our third outing and ruined our fun.

Members who have read this thread: 2