Thread: Logan rides

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Logan rides

So I've ridden Juniper Jardine which was cool. Are there any other good rides in the Logan area that have more rolling singletrack as opposed to straight up and straight down?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    look on the trail rating page. or go to a local bike shop. there are endless good rides in logan
    `..><((((>`..`..`...><((((>`. .`..`...><((((> `.. `..

The Sentinel

I live in Tremonton...

...and do a lot of my riding in Logan. PM me, and I'll point you at a couple other rides that are fantastic singletrack rides.
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

Who's that guy?
    Most of the Logan bike shops carry a guide book for the Logan area. Worth the price.

Jim and Michelle at Joyride Bikes are always happy to steer you towards some great trails.

If you are able to shuttle, there are a few AWESOME rides.

Slow and steady gets you...7th place.

"Hey! Where is everybody going??"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It's been 5 years since I've done a lot of riding in Logan, but overall I liked it more than SLC because you hardly ever have to share the trail once you get off the beaten path, and most trails are closer to town. If you explore, there is a ton to do. Here are the first few that come to mind:

Right hand fork: A bunch of different loops you can do from the parking lot past the girl's camp. You could easily do 10 rides of 15 miles or less and not do the same loop twice.

Bunchgrass - start at tony grove lake, climb over a first pass to another lake (can't remember the name), turn away from the lake (right at the fork). Follow the trail till you find the sweetest downhill around. Come out at logan canyon just above tony grove turnoff.

Little Bear trail. Tough to expain how to get there - get a map.

Dry Creek - steep as hell, but quick to get to and great trail conditions (as of 5 years ago)

Go to temple fork and explore -there are a bunch there

Go up the river trail. Just after the single track ends and you join the dirt road, there's another singletrack to the right. Go up the singltrack and it splits again (I think one fork is called "Mill Hollow"). You can go either left or right - either way you can't get too far before the trail gets too steep, but its a fun way to extend the river trail.

Steam Mill - steep but fun and you won't see another soul. You can do an epic ride and join it with bunchgrass (if I remember correctly)

There's a fun trail up the Hyrum Canyon (whatever it's called). You'll have to ask around to find it, but I remember driving a ways up before coming to a parking lot. The trail takes you all the way over to Cowley Canyon. The trail is technical and super fun.

If I remember any more, I'll post them. Enjoy, and I hope I'm not ruining anyone's secret trails. Dang... I miss Logan.

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slcmtb

Go up the river trail. Just after the single track ends and you join the dirt road, there's another singletrack to the right. Go up the singltrack and it splits again (I think one fork is called "Mill Hollow"). You can go either left or right - either way you can't get too far before the trail gets too steep, but its a fun way to extend the river trail.

My favorite also because it so close to campus, I like to go right and up and up and up, soon you hit a shale quary type rocks and then you can go around it or up the gauntet (which you need to go down, dont go too close to the sides left or right or you will get your legs sliced by shale and watch the dips). Pretty soon you hit stuff that is 40 degree climbs (feels like it) but its great I never have ended the trail. But if you get to the part were there are 2 logs in the middle of the path ( that you can jump) (some parts you walk your bike up because you spin your tires pedaling); its were I turn back because going downhill can be hard because your beat going up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Sink Hollow

Sink Hollow used to be great, until the ATV scum raped the hell out of it.

Who's that guy?
    Quote Originally Posted by tooljunkie
    Sink Hollow used to be great, until the ATV scum raped the hell out of it.
    Ya, that happens every year. It starts off okay in the spring (or it used to) but quickly gets used up. I didn't ride it this year at all because it keeps getting worse.

Same thing happens with Jardine once the horses get through with it after the hunt. Although this year it wasn't too bad.

Have you tried the lower, old section of Stump Hollow? Almost as much fun as Sink. Blind Hollow would be the best ride in the canyon if it wasn't a shuttle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I used to ride all of those. Now I'm a southern Utard, so I have to suffer through Brian Head, JEM, Gooseberry and Little Creek. I do miss riding around mountain streams though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkan
    Ya, that happens every year. It starts off okay in the spring (or it used to) but quickly gets used up. I didn't ride it this year at all because it keeps getting worse.

Same thing happens with Jardine once the horses get through with it after the hunt. Although this year it wasn't too bad.

Have you tried the lower, old section of Stump Hollow? Almost as much fun as Sink. Blind Hollow would be the best ride in the canyon if it wasn't a shuttle.
    Isn't the top of Blind Hollow in Wilderness? Where do you access it from? (To do a shuttle)
    `..><((((>`..`..`...><((((>`. .`..`...><((((> `.. `..

Who's that guy?
    Quote Originally Posted by kadeater
    Isn't the top of Blind Hollow in Wilderness? Where do you access it from? (To do a shuttle)
    I am pretty sure it's not in Wilderness. If it is, they need to mark it a lot more clearly.

There is a parking area on the south side of the road about half a mile before you get to the main Tony Grove parking area. It's kind of set back from the road a bit, just into the trees. The trail starts there. There are actually a bunch of trails to start but they all merge into the one main trail that climbs up for about a mile.

If you haven't ridden this trail before, I strongly recommend getting the Cache Trails guide book. There are a couple of forks and some other trails that shoot off the main one that can get you lost (speaking from experience).

Quote Originally Posted by tooljunkie
    I used to ride all of those. Now I'm a southern Utard, so I have to suffer through Brian Head, JEM, Gooseberry and Little Creek. I do miss riding around mountain streams though.
    If I could, I would move south tomorrow. I love the trails up here but it would be nice to be able to ride for a few more months a year.

Members who have read this thread: 0