Logan Canyon Sampler, Ver. 5.0 (2014)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Logan Canyon Sampler, Ver. 5.0 (2014)

This year's event will take place on Saturday, Oct 4. I have attached 2 gps files for your viewing pleasure. They represent 2 different options for the ride this year.

Option 5.0 43.5 miles, ~7000' climbing**

-Drive to the summit of Logan Canyon
    -Climb Burnt Fork single/Double Track
    -Descend Stump Hollow
    -Climb Beaver Creek Road (jeep Road)
    -Descend Sink Hollow
    -Climb Peterson Hollow
    -Descend Peterson Hollow to Franklin Basin
    -Climb Steep Hollow (Jeep Rd)
    -Traverse Shorty's Cutoff
    -Descend Steam Mill
    -Traverse/climb White Pine Creek
    -Descend Bottom Half of Bunchgrass to the highway.

Option 5.1 49 miles, ~9000' climbing**

-Drive to the Tony Grove Turnoff
    -Climb Little Bear to Sinks Road
    -Descend Stump Hollow
    -Descend Sink Hollow
    -Climb Peterson Hollow
    -Descend Steam Mill

**These are estimates from Google Earth, which always tends to exaggerate elevation gain by quite a bit. I would guess that the real numbers are probably about 1,000' less.

Option 5.0, starts off with a much easier climb, quite a bit shorter, but does require a short vehicle shuttle.

Option 5.1, starts with a long-ish climb, but does not require a shuttle. longer and more climb-ier than 5.0.

This route lends itself to be shortened very easily as necessary by cutting off the Beaver creek / Sink Hollow loop. There are also many opportunities to bail to the highway and coast down to your car.

We are shooting for a start time of 7:30 am. That means we will be meeting at first dam (at the mouth of Logan Canyon) at 6:30am.

Disclaimer: This is not a supported ride. There are no aid stations. Those that join us should be self sufficient and have a GPS, map, knowledge of the area, or be able to stick with a group that knows where they are going. That being said, there are multiple options to shorten the ride by bailing down to the highway if necessary. We will be stashing food/water the night before somewhere along the course. If you want in on that action, let me know. Let me know if there are any questions. There are some decent places to camp near the start of the ride if you are so inclined.

Post here if you are interested so I can get a ballpark of how many people will be riding.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by neilether; 08-11-2014 at 08:30 PM. Reason: date change

mtbr member
    GPS files added to original post. Open 'em up in Google Earth if you so desire.
    Last edited by neilether; 07-07-2014 at 02:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I am interested. I will likely bring another head.

Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    This year's event will take place on Saturday, Sept 20. I have attached 2 gps files for your viewing pleasure. They represent 2 different options for the ride this year.

Option 5.0 43.5 miles, ~7000' climbing**

-Drive to the summit of Logan Canyon
    -Descend Stump Hollow
    -Descend Sink Hollow
    -Climb Peterson Hollow
    -Descend Steam Mill

Option 5.1 49 miles, ~9000' climbing**

-Drive to the Tony Grove Turnoff
    -Climb Little Bear to Sinks Road
    -Descend Stump Hollow
    -Descend Sink Hollow
    -Climb Peterson Hollow
    -Descend Steam Mill

**These are estimates from Google Earth, which always tends to exaggerate elevation gain by quite a bit. I would guess that the real numbers are probably about 1,000' less.

Option 5.0, starts off with a much easier climb, quite a bit shorter, but does require a short vehicle shuttle.

Option 5.1, starts with a long-ish climb, but does not require a shuttle. longer and more climb-ier than 5.0.

This route lends itself to be shortened very easily as necessary by cutting off the Beaver creek / Sink Hollow loop. There are also many opportunities to bail to the highway and coast down to your car.

We are shooting for a start time of 7:30 am. That means we will be meeting at first dam (at the mouth of Logan Canyon) at 6:30am.

Disclaimer: This is not a supported ride. There are no aid stations. Those that join us should be self sufficient and have a GPS, map, knowledge of the area, or be able to stick with a group that knows where they are going. That being said, there are multiple options to shorten the ride by bailing down to the highway if necessary. We will be stashing food/water the night before somewhere along the course. If you want in on that action, let me know. Let me know if there are any questions. There are some decent places to camp near the start of the ride if you are so inclined.

Post here if you are interested so I can get a ballpark of how many people will be riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by someWan View Post
    I am interested. I will likely bring another head.
    Excellent!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So...what's the shuttle situation going to look like? Is this a joint effort? Or "figure it out dude"?

mtbr member
    So...what's the shuttle situation going to look like? Is this a joint effort? Or "figure it out dude"?
    If you get in early, which you have, we can typically fit you in one of the local shuttles. Just stay in touch as it gets closer and it shouldn't be a problem.

Typically, a lot of guys will leave their vehicles at the bottom of the ride in case they have to bail early. That way they don't have to wait around or pedal down canyon 20 miles back to the mouth of the canyon.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately a work conflict is forcing me to change the date. New date is October 4th. All other details remain the same. Sorry for the confusion. Let me know if there are any questions.

mtbr member
    Here is an RSVP page:

http://whoozin.com/XXV-MXW-79YC

"NO" RSVPs need not apply, but if you are a yes, or a maybe go ahead and put your name on the list. This'll just help me keep track of numbers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So is this thing happening???

mtbr member
    So is this thing happening???
    Yes. Follow the link above to RSVP. Then your email will be added to my list of attendees that get any updates and more info.

Note that the date changed to Oct 4th, which is different from the original plan.

Let me know if you have any questions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    any recommendations on a Garmin with no bells and whistles. Just a topo map to follow?

mtbr member
    any recommendations on a Garmin with no bells and whistles. Just a topo map to follow?
    I have the garmin edge 800 model which i really like. It is not the most economical though. I know you can get much simpler units for hiking/camping/geocaching etc. im not very familiar with those models though.

If you have a smartphone, you can download a topo map and the gps file can be overlaid on it. Then, you show up as a blue dot on the screen. Comes in handy if you are just looking to navigate effectively.

I will be sending out a turn by turn cue sheet that can help navigate as well. It is just based on accumulated milage from google earth, so its not perfect, but better than nothing.

Have you ridden any of these trails up here?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Stump hollow is one of my favorites. I haven't done the rest. The smart phone option sounds sufficient. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Stump hollow is one of my favorites. I haven't done the rest. The smart phone option sounds sufficient. Thanks!
    This is the app that my buddies have been using:

PDF Maps Mobile App

I'm not sure how it works, but I can probably get some more info if it'll help you out.

Perpetual n00b

Re: Logan Canyon Sampler, Ver. 5.0 (2014)

If anyone is using an Android phone you can use an app called Maprika to load and follow GPS routes. Here's an example using Green Canyon

The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    This looks like a great ride. I'm PCS'ing to Hill on the 1st so I'm not sure if I'll be acclimated to the altitude by then. I'm guessing this is a yearly event?
    YETI SB-66 CARBON
    SCOTT GAMBLER 720

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    @Neil
    I checked out the PDF app. It sounds like this will work as long as the GPS data takes on one of these listed formats (geospacial PDF, GeoPDF, GeoTIFF, or ArcGIS). Is that an issue?

Or...when you post the GPS data (if not already posted), I might be able to figure out how to convert (if necessary). Is the data you posted that you can open with Google Earth the final format?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Aspirated View Post
    This looks like a great ride. I'm PCS'ing to Hill on the 1st so I'm not sure if I'll be acclimated to the altitude by then. I'm guessing this is a yearly event?
    Altitude Schmaltitude! You may suffer a little bit, but come play with us if you want to. There's lots of options to easily shorten the ride if you need to. Shoot me a PM if you want more information and i can help you with the route planning.

This is the 5th year running that we have done this. The ride changes from year to year. Not a huge event by any means, but we've had between 20 and 40 riders show up over the years.

Let me know if you have any questions.

mtbr member
    @Neil
    I checked out the PDF app. It sounds like this will work as long as the GPS data takes on one of these listed formats (geospacial PDF, GeoPDF, GeoTIFF, or ArcGIS). Is that an issue?

Or...when you post the GPS data (if not already posted), I might be able to figure out how to convert (if necessary). Is the data you posted that you can open with Google Earth the final format?
    The ride that I have posted here will change a tiny bit. I'm cutting out a 2 mile road section and replacing with a 1.5 mile singletrack section that's a little bit harder, but much more fun. I will have that put together in the next little while.

I will check with my buddy that uses that app to see what format the file needs to be in and I will convert it for you. I remember him saying that he had to load the file into iTunes and then put it onto his phone that way. Not sure how it's done with an Android.

mtbr member
    @Neil

@someWan
    It sounds like there are a couple of options for you. I can send over a .kml file via email and that can be opened up in Google Earth. From there you can use it to track your position relative to the imported track. However, I don't know if GE requires a cell signal to work properly.

The other option, is that I have a .tiff map of the entire Cache Valley area (with trails) that can be easily imported into pdf maps. From there, you can actually open that same .kml file as an overlay. I know that the pdf maps app works without cell signal, so this may be the better option. Shoot me a PM with your email address and I will get the files to you.

mtbr member
    Here's a sub-2 week reminder for this group ride. For those that are interested, please follow the link above (post #8 in this thread) and RSVP so we can get a semi-accurate count. Joyride Bikes will be providing us with something to eat pre-ride. Come check out what Logan has to offer (it's really not THAT far from SLC). Hopefully the trees will still have some leaves on them at that point. Great time of year to be riding.

Route details and some logistics are above in this post and also located on that RSVP page.

If you have any questions, feel free to post here.
    Last edited by neilether; 09-22-2014 at 11:53 AM.