Logan area Mountain Bike trail inventory- Mtbr.com
    The Sentinel

Logan area Mountain Bike trail inventory

Hi all,

I am trying to organize a riding group of slow, fat, old guys, and I'd like to make a list of Logan area mountain bike trails that we could ride. I like to ride harder trails, and I don't mind walking a bit (I am a fat guy, after all), and I've made a first attempt at the list. If you are familiar with the Logan area trails, please feel free to comment or add to my list. Thanks.

Here's the trails:

Green Canyon
    Deer Fence
    River Trail

Card Canyon (don't know about this one...just heard rumors )
    Mud Flats Loop (Willow Creek to Mud Flats to Cottonwood)
    Old Ephraim's Grave (Willow Creek to grave cutoff)
    Rick's Canyon/Steel Hollow
    Logan Peak Hillclimb
    Jardine Juniper
    Temple Fork Sawmill
    Little Bear/Peter Sinks
    Bear Hollow/Twin Creek DH
    Tony Grove/Bunchgrass
    Franklin Basin/Beaver Mountain
    Beaver Creek/Sink Hollow
    Stump Hollow

Herd Hollow/Richard's Hollow
    Left Hand Fork/Pole Hollow/Sow Hole

That's all I could come up with. If anyone knows any more, or is interested in riding them with a slow, fat partner, then post here. Thanks.
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

Who's that guy?
    We definately need to go riding again, and more often. Is your son still riding?
    Also, I think we both have new bikes since we rode BST in Ogden last year.

Blind Hollow is the only well-known trail that you missed (I think).
    If we want to do a shuttle, its an absolute blast to ride.
    Card Canyon is better as a shuttle as well, although I have never actually ridden down it (Apparently its quite a challenge). I have only ridden the road up to it, which sucks.

Logan Peak is a brutal butt-kicker.

The River Trail that cuts up Spring Hollow is okay. Kinda steep in sections but the rock fall has been worked on. It's still a tough ride but at least there are some switchbacks now. You can also cut over to a number of trails from the top where it meets the fire-road.

You can never go wrong with Jardine or Richards. Sink Hollow is better in the early part of the year before the quads have destroyed it. Stump Hollow is great but also a lot of climbing.

If you really want to do some nasty climbing with some great views at the top and a crazy ride back down, the Wind Caves trail is an option. (Okay, maybe not )

Dave

Slow and steady gets you...7th place.

"Hey! Where is everybody going??"

The Sentinel

Lets do it!

I'm definitely going to do a lot more riding this year. I have a new hardtail and a new fully since we rode together, and I'm eager to give them both a workout. My son is still riding, and is pushing me harder every day. He's the reason I got a new fully...we wore the old one out! I hope we can get a good group together, and can get a lot of rides this summer. We're heading to Moab the second week in March, so I need to get some miles in before then...I may have to break down and get the road bike out...shudder.

One question...can you ride up above Spring Hollow now? A few years ago the Forest Service closed the trail to bikes at Spring Hollow...I'm suprised that people are riding it.

Anyway, I'm really serious about doing a lot of riding this year, so let's keep in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkan
    We definately need to go riding again, and more often. Is your son still riding?
    Also, I think we both have new bikes since we rode BST in Ogden last year.

Blind Hollow is the only well-known trail that you missed (I think).
    If we want to do a shuttle, its an absolute blast to ride.
    Card Canyon is better as a shuttle as well, although I have never actually ridden down it (Apparently its quite a challenge). I have only ridden the road up to it, which sucks.

Logan Peak is a brutal butt-kicker.

The River Trail that cuts up Spring Hollow is okay. Kinda steep in sections but the rock fall has been worked on. It's still a tough ride but at least there are some switchbacks now. You can also cut over to a number of trails from the top where it meets the fire-road.

You can never go wrong with Jardine or Richards. Sink Hollow is better in the early part of the year before the quads have destroyed it. Stump Hollow is great but also a lot of climbing.

If you really want to do some nasty climbing with some great views at the top and a crazy ride back down, the Wind Caves trail is an option. (Okay, maybe not )

Dave

Who's that guy?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker62
    One question...can you ride up above Spring Hollow now? A few years ago the Forest Service closed the trail to bikes at Spring Hollow...I'm suprised that people are riding it.

Anyway, I'm really serious about doing a lot of riding this year, so let's keep in touch.
    I should have replied to this on the Utah site instead but I saw this one first. Ah well...

Anyway, the FS actually made a connection trail from the River Trail to Spring Hollow Trail and they rebuilt quite a bit of the lower section of Spring Hollow. If its off limits, I sure haven't heard about it.

mtbr member
    I'm new to mountain biking and I was wondering what the best downhill trails are here? I've got a 9 speed DH bike that isn't too good at going up the hills but I don't mind pedaling a bit if needed.

Who else in the Logan area downhills/freerides?

Who's that guy?
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyg55
    I'm new to mountain biking and I was wondering what the best downhill trails are here? I've got a 9 speed DH bike that isn't too good at going up the hills but I don't mind pedaling a bit if needed.

I think your best bet would be either Card Canyon or Blind Hollow. They are both best done as shuttles. All the other well known trails have the risk of riders going up while you are blasting down.
    I would be shocked if someone actually rode up Card Canyon or Blind Hollow. If you are going to do Blind Hollow, I strongly recommend getting the guide book. There is a somewhat hard to notice spot where the Blind Hollow trail cuts off the main trail to the right and if you miss it, you have a long, crappy day ahead of you (speaking from experience).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

If you want a killer shuttle hit up little bear. I mainly ride DH/FR but like to still do the uphill thing to keep the legs and lungs in shape plus there aren't many trails in logan just for DH, most you have to ride up first, you gotta earn it though right? What bike are you rollin?
    "if you don't like my fire
    then don't come around
    cause I'm gonna burn one down
    yes I'm gonna burn one down"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveRideHate
    If you want a killer shuttle hit up little bear. I mainly ride DH/FR but like to still do the uphill thing to keep the legs and lungs in shape plus there aren't many trails in logan just for DH, most you have to ride up first, you gotta earn it though right? What bike are you rollin?
    I'm riding an all black Azonic Eliminator II 9 speed without stickers and a jr. T fork. I'm a student at USU and I sometimes ride my bike up there.

I don't mind pedaling a little but it kicks my butt on this bike and I'm in decent shape(at least I thought) Have any of you gone biking up around Mt. Logan?

The Sentinel

Logan Peak would make a good Super D course

The climb up to Logan Peak from White Bedground is all jeep road, but you could start at the peak, come down to White Bedground, and then down Card Canyon to Logan Canyon...it would be a long descent...probably 1/2 hour...but a lot of fun!

I'm riding an all black Azonic Eliminator II 9 speed without stickers and a jr. T fork. I'm a student at USU and I sometimes ride my bike up there.

I don't mind pedaling a little but it kicks my butt on this bike and I'm in decent shape(at least I thought) Have any of you gone biking up around Mt. Logan?

The Sentinel

You'd definitely want to be careful on Little Bear

I like Little Bear a lot, but I do it as a climb from the Forestry Station up to the Sinks road. I take the right fork of the trail up to the road, then over to Peter Sinks, and down the left fork of the trail. I'd hate to run into a downhiller down near the bottom where the trail gets really narrow. It's hard enough to dodge the cows and downed trees! :P

Quote Originally Posted by LoveRideHate

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm at USU as well. I've been trying find other people who like to get out and ride fr/dh around here for awhile......without much success. Logan doesn't have much for fr/dh unless you go dig it yourself. There's a few places with jumps and smaller drops around. I ride a SC bullit and an Azonic steelhead. There's a couple of trails up the canyon with short uphills and longer dh's that can be good (Twin Hollow is one of them I think). It's snow covered till middle of may though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donyel
    I'm at USU as well. I've been trying find other people who like to get out and ride fr/dh around here for awhile......without much success. Logan doesn't have much for fr/dh unless you go dig it yourself. There's a few places with jumps and smaller drops around. I ride a SC bullit and an Azonic steelhead. There's a couple of trails up the canyon with short uphills and longer dh's that can be good (Twin Hollow is one of them I think). It's snow covered till middle of may though.
    I wonder how I would be on actual jumps now? I haven't hit any since my BMX days which was probably like 5 years ago.

Some of my friends ride but they are more into x-country and all mountain type of stuff. I just don't get too much of a kick from riding up the hills, I more or less consider it work, not play. I guess I get that from always BMX'ing, going up was just a necessary evil for coming back down and hitting jumps.

mtbr member
    Maybe the DH scene is slim. I've got one DH buddy and he rides up hill with all us XC folks. Then he's down the hill at Mock 5! Maybe he likes to ride with us or maybe he has no DH friends!

Up Beaver Creek, once you get into Gibson Basin, we take this cut off that takes you back to the BC campground. It's all 2 track and it's really fun. Extends the ride a little. We call it the BCC2CCGB, or something like that!

Who's that guy?

Do you park your bike by the business building? I think I might have seen you riding off from there this week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkan
    Do you park your bike by the business building? I think I might have seen you riding off from there this week.
    Yep, that's me.

The Sentinel

I know exactly the trail you are talking about...

In fact, I'll never forget it. A few years ago, I found a booby trap on that exact trail. On one of the downhill corners, someone had dragged a downed tree across the trail, cut off all the branches that pointed away from the trail, and sharpened all of the branches that pointed up the trail to a point with a knife. It looked like something out of a Vietnam era movie. Fortunately, I was riding slowly and looking ahead. I was alone at the time, and if I would have run into that log, I shudder to think what would have happened. I've never seen anything like that since, but it sends a chill up my spine just remembering it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon-UT
    Up Beaver Creek, once you get into Gibson Basin, we take this cut off that takes you back to the BC campground. It's all 2 track and it's really fun. Extends the ride a little. We call it the BCC2CCGB, or something like that!

Who's that guy?
    Yep, that's me.
    Cool. I noticed your bike the other day. Very nice.

I am the old, worn-out, fat guy that rides his old, worn-out GT to class.

mtbr member
    Dude, that's a little scary! Wonder which type of recreationalist they were aiming for? Or just anyone?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker62
    In fact, I'll never forget it. A few years ago, I found a booby trap on that exact trail. On one of the downhill corners, someone had dragged a downed tree across the trail, cut off all the branches that pointed away from the trail, and sharpened all of the branches that pointed up the trail to a point with a knife. It looked like something out of a Vietnam era movie. Fortunately, I was riding slowly and looking ahead. I was alone at the time, and if I would have run into that log, I shudder to think what would have happened. I've never seen anything like that since, but it sends a chill up my spine just remembering it.
    That's nuts!!! My guess is that a complete psycho set that up! It was obviously intended to hurt or maim anyone coming down the hill too fast. Whoever would set something like that up deserves to go to prison.

The Sentinel

Psycho is a nice word!

Felon is more the word I was thinking of. I've been riding in the Cache Valley area since 1987, and thank goodness that was the only time before or since that I've seen something like that.

That's nuts!!! My guess is that a complete psycho set that up! It was obviously intended to hurt or maim anyone coming down the hill too fast. Whoever would set something like that up deserves to go to prison.

mtbr member

I know donyel and a few others who like to ride. Like donyel said there is quite a bit of pedaling here but there is some cool stuff. Keep in touch as the snow thaws and we'll go ride.
    `..><((((>`..`..`...><((((>`. .`..`...><((((> `.. `..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The only trail I can think of that's not on your list is Dry Creek (the canyon to the south of Logan canyon). It's pretty steep, but your probably used to steep, living in Logan and all. It's a close ride that gives you a good workout without taking all day. I haven't ridden it since 2002, but I remember being impressed with the quality of the trail - especially compared to the horrible double track that it used to be back in 1995.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kadeater
    I know donyel and a few others who like to ride. Like donyel said there is quite a bit of pedaling here but there is some cool stuff. Keep in touch as the snow thaws and we'll go ride.
    Will do. Too bad this storm has dumped so much snow. I was hoping that old main was going to clear up. Oh well, the stairs are kind of fun too

Members who have read this thread: 1