Local info on Moab area rides- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Local info on Moab area rides

Fisher Mesa: Heard there's new trail. Worth adding to our list of rides in a couple weeks?

Also, while I'm at it. How about the possibility of hitting Thunder Mountain on our way out heading back North?

And, Eagle Perch in the Gemini area. Sounds good. But, no one I know has done it.

alien exchange student

My 2

Howdy, I like both trails a lot.

The Fisher Mesa singletrack is a very twisty out-and-back in the LaSals. It is about a 45 minute drive to the trailhead. The 1-track is very fun as it slowly follows the mesa edge for about 7 miles. The return is slightly up-hill the whole way but nothing heinous. Do NOT take the jeep road back as it really adds climbing - it goes away from the rim quite a bit and the route is nowhere near as much fun. The temps will be much cooler and the views are great.

Little Canyon Rim is also very fun. You can do it from the Gemini Bridges trail head (up Hwy 313) or from the trail tail (just off Hwy191 north of town). I personally prefer doing it as an out-and-back from the Gemini Trail tail. It is 11 miles of climbing up and a rocking return back. There are some sandy sections but nothing too bad. Once you hit the slickrock it is simply a blast. Again, the views at the top are amazing.

Cheers!

Mel

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Awesome, thanks!
    Got the book and pouring over it and the East/West maps nightly.
    Here's the next question:
    Jacksons...(Amasa Shortcut)
    You say it's death on the left and super tech. But, I've heard there's been some work on it lately by a few fellow Northwesterners and it's a hoot.
    Getting mixed reviews from those who have done. Just blaze back down Amasa or go for it?
    Will probably be riding it in about the 25th of this month. (Superlight)
    Arriving the 23rd. Thanks again.

alien exchange student

Clarification on Amasa Back

Hi, there are two routes down that I list in the book. The Jackson Hole descent is down Jacob's Ladder. It is a hike-a-bike that is on the first spur left after you cross the waterpipe. It connects you eventually with Hurrah Pass. The "death on the left" descent is on the singletrack piece you pick up on the second spur (on the right). It takes you down the back side (with exposure on the left) and you end up crossing the creek at the bottom very close to where the pavement ends (near the cattle guard) on the road in. I'm not aware of any "improvements" on anything other than the actual Amasa Back trail up to the waterpipe. This was done to get trucks up to the waterpipe for service. That doesn't mean the improvements haven't happened, however. You could check with a local shop to confirm. In the end, coming right back down the Amasa Back trail is still my favorite.

Cheers!

Mel

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    Awesome, thanks!
    Got the book and pouring over it and the East/West maps nightly.
    Here's the next question:
    Jacksons...(Amasa Shortcut)
    You say it's death on the left and super tech. But, I've heard there's been some work on it lately by a few fellow Northwesterners and it's a hoot.
    Getting mixed reviews from those who have done. Just blaze back down Amasa or go for it?
    Will probably be riding it in about the 25th of this month. (Superlight)
    Arriving the 23rd. Thanks again.

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Rode Jacksons Trail a couple of weeks ago. It is in very good condition but there are some pretty serious moves to be made on the way down. I rode it with the best rider I know and he cleaned it but his heart was thumping hard at the bottom - and that wasn't from working hard. I walked a few of the more technical gonzo spots but most of it is just great fun. Definately beats riding back down the jeep road.

Just roll it......

Hey Borneo....

As you know, I second XTRKona's thoughts on this topic!

All of Jackson's Trail is cleanable, but line selection is critical for the steeper / hairball sections..... Most folks will walk a couple of the sketchier sections, but this trail is a complete hoot for skilled riders. You know you wanna.....

EB

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sorry, did'nt do it...
    Went back down the way up.
    Would have had to do it solo and that's not a good thing.
    Fisher Mesa is still snowed in according to the guys at Rim.
    (Without a doubt, my favorite shop there.)
    9 rides in 7 days though... Plus, two hikes.
    Good times.